Healthy whole food, plant based berry and banana dessert recipe that can be made for celebrations or a simple dessert.
Do you have any plans for the holiday weekend? It is the official start of BBQ season and it seems this time of year is also the time that everything is berries! Especially strawberries.
Everywhere I look the last two days – on magazine covers in the supermarket checkout line, on blogs and even on the morning news show – all I have been seeing is berry recipes for all kinds of yummy berry desserts to make for the holiday weekend.
I love berries, but most of the recipes I have seen call for sugar and butter and other ingredients I don’t eat.
To keep from feeling deprived of these desserts, I went in search of a little whole food, plant based indulgence. Something yummy, but healthy for a BBQ dessert this weekend.
If you like bananas and a variety of frozen fruit you will enjoy this dessert.
It can be made in layers or just one layer in a low sided pan.
It makes a great cake to celebrate.
And can even be made patriotic.
The fun part about making this style of “fruit cake” is you can add any fruit along with the bananas to create different flavors. My fave is with blueberries. Ed likes it with raspberries.
Try it with blackberries, peaches, or your favorite frozen fruit.
The recipe is below, but first I wanted to make sure anyone who is interested and wants to learn more about how I eat and why I changed to a 100% plant based diet, you can watch The Forks Over Knives documentary. The website is streaming it free to celebrate its 10th Anniversary.
If you haven’t seen it, and are interesting in learning more about plant-based eating, it is worth watching:
How to Make a Banana Whip Cake
The amount of bananas to berries can vary depending on your tastes. So if you only have 5 bananas, the frozen cake will still come out fine.
Note: The amount of bananas to berries will depend on the size of your pan. You want to have enough whipped bananas to cover the bottom of the pan so the layer is at least an inch or more high.
For the second layer or star center cake, you want to mix one or two bananas and a cup or two of berries – the more berries you use, the more colorful the second layer will be.
You can make the second layer all frozen berries if you want – there is no wrong or right way. Using more bananas will create a creamer cake.
- 5-7 Frozen Bananas – how many you need will depend on the size of your pan
- 1-2 cups Frozen Blueberries, Raspberries or and frozen fruit
- Optional: Cacao Nibs
- Optional: Large Star Cookie Cutter
1. Let bananas and berries sit at room temperature for about 8-10 mins so they soften a bit.
2. Break up 4 bananas and place in blender.
3. Blend on low and then on high power to whip bananas to a smooth consistency.
4. Spread the whipped bananas in an 8-inch pie plate or quiche dish.
5. Sprinkle cacao nibs over just spread banana layer. Set aside.
6. Break up 3 more bananas and place in blender. Add 1 – 2 cups of blueberries or frozen berries and whip in blender until smooth and a light purple color. The more berries you add, the more colorful the top layer will be.
7. Spread banana/blueberry mix evenly over cacao nib layer.
8. Place in freezer overnight or for 6-8 hours.
Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.
Healthy Indulgence Banana Whip Cake
- 5-7 Bananas frozen
- 1-2 cups Blueberries frozen
- 1/2 cup Cacao Nibs optional
- Let bananas and berries sit at room temperature for about 8-10 mins so they soften a bit.
- Break up 4 bananas and place in blender. Blend on low and then on high power to whip bananas to a smooth consistency.
- Spread the whipped bananas in an 8-inch pie plate or quiche pan.
- Sprinkle cacao nibs over just spread banana layer. Set aside.
- Break up 3 more bananas and place in blender. Add 1 cup of blueberries and whip in blender until smooth and a light purple color.
- Spread banana/blueberry mix evenly over cacao nib layer.
- Place in freezer.
- Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.
- To make star cake/pie. Find a star cookie cutter and place in the center of a low-sided pan. Fill the star with strawberry/banana mix or a raspberry/banana mix. Once filled, then fill the rest of the pan with blueberry/banana mix. Give the pan a gentle shake to level the contents Leave the cookie cutter in place and place on a level surface in freezer. To serve: Let the cake thaw for 10 minutes and then remove the star cookie cutter. Serve.
WFPB Recipes I Found Online That You May Like
If you like berries and would like more ideas on how to use them to make a healthy dessert, here is one I want to try: