This time of year I always start to crave a bowl of delicious hot soup and a hunk of crusty french bread. I have a lot of soup recipes that I enjoy all year round but this Sausage and Lentil soup recipe has become my new favorite.
When it starts to get cool outside, you know I like to get my house all comfy cozy, layer by layer. Once I have the decorating layers added, I head to the kitchen to add the warmest layer that takes the cozy comfort factor of the house all the way to the top of the comfy cozy scale. It is making a big pot of soup and allowing it to simmer on the stove. It warms up the kitchen as well as my insides. I normally make a delicious bowl of hot soup for lunch like my favorite Fast & Easy Vegetable Soup or Beef Stew with a Secret Ingredient, but I now have a new favorite.
Sausage and Lentil Soup Recipe
You know if I am sharing a recipe with you, that it is GOOD. I am not a foodie nor do I enjoy cooking, but when I come across something so delicious, I just have to share it with you. That’s why I signed up to be a part of fall recipe blog hop today with 25 other bloggers – so enjoy the visual and delicious feast ahead. Links to the tour are at the end of the post.
I love soup. If I had to choose one food that I love the most, it would be soup and a piece of crusty french bread. Followed by a cup of hot tea. Simple pleasures are the best. To expand my soup recipe box, I am always on the lookout for new soup recipes that are not too time consuming to make.
A few weeks ago, Ed and I ate dinner at Carrabba’s and had their Sausage and Lentil soup. We both thought it was amazing! When I got home, I did an online search for the recipe. I found quite a few and read through all the recipes for the one that seemed to have the same ingredients as the Carrabba’s soup we had.
I have made it twice so far. Since it is only Ed and me, one pot becomes a few meals for us.
Hearty Italian Sausage and Lentil Soup Recipe
Italian Sausage and Lentil Soup
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 3/4 cup carrot diced
- 3/4 cup celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Sausage
- 48 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can brown lentils rinsed and drained
- In a large pot, add onions, carrots, garlic, celery and olive oil. Saute until the onions are transparent.
- Add sausage, break apart into small pieces using wooden spoon and cook until brown. If there is a lot of fat in the sausage, drain the excess from pan.
- Add chicken broth, Italian seasoning, diced tomatoes and brown lentils. Cover pot with lid.
- Bring to a boil and then set to simmer for one hour.
- Stir a few times while simmering. If soup needs more liquid, add additional chicken broth as needed.
Do you have a favorite soup recipe that you like to make and let simmer on the stove all day to create the perfect comfy cozy factor in your home?
Here are the links for 25 other bloggers who are also sharing a fabulous fall recipe with you today! Hop around to see what other delicious ideas they’ve come up with…