Rustic Tomato Lentil Soup Recipe
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read my Disclosure Policy.
If you’re looking for a tasty, low fat and healthy meal to make for lunch or dinner, this rustic tomato lentil soup recipe is for you! Bursting with flavor and ready in just 40 minutes, this delicious soup is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or even a cozy lunch.
Not only is it low in calories, but it’s packed with plenty of wholesome ingredients that you can feel good about adding to your meal routine.
It’s Friday, time to share one of my favorite soups with you, one that I have had made over the years, even before I became a strictly whole food, no oil, plant based eater. It is a Hearty Tomato Lentil Soup that just happened to fit into eating plant based.
The original recipe called for oil, but I omit it and can’t taste any difference.
On the winter nights when my husband eats plant based with me, we serve it up on a tray with a glass of red wine and enjoy a cozy dinner while watching a movie.
The recipe has pasta in it. When I want something less calorie dense, I make it without the pasta and it is still delicious.
So if you are looking for an easy to make recipe that can be made even easier to make when you use canned lentils, jarred chopped garlic in water, chopped frozen onions you can have dinner on the table quickly with little prep.
Rustic Tomato Lentil Soup
- 1 large frying pan
- 4 cloves garlic or more to taste – minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth no or low-sodium
- 1 28 oz diced tomatoes including the juice
- 2 cups lentils cooked or canned
- black pepper to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 cup pasta uncooked Ditalini or any small pasta – optional
- salt to taste – optional
- In a large soup pot, saute garlic, onions and carrots on medium-high heat until onions are translucent. Add a little water or vegetable broth to keep the vegetables from sticking.
- Add the celery, vegetable broth, tomatoes, lentils, pepper, and cayenne and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add pasta and simmer for 10 more minutes before serving.Optional – Season with salt to taste.
delicioius, beautiful and <3 healthy too. Thanks for sharing.
Lentils are so good! I make a similar lentil stew, using bouillon in the broth. I add barley instead of pasta. So good served with corn pones.
Thanks! I am also WFPB and this looks wonderful. I will be trying it out soon.
Thank you so much for yet another vegan recipe. Your vegan recipes are always so good! So glad you are springing back from surgery.
This sounds so yummy!! Thank you for sharing the recipe. We definitely will try it out 💜