Unlock the secret to a healthier lifestyle with this delicious vegan and healthy vegetable soup recipe. Bursting with vibrant flavors and nutrient-dense ingredients – including one you wouldn’t think of adding. This soup will not only satiate your hunger, but also leave you feeling nourished, energetic, and ready to conquer the day!
Since I started eating whole foods and nothing processed about 3 years ago, one of my favorite things to make is soup. I have many soup recipes and am always looking for new ones, especially in the fall when a warm bowl of soup tastes even better when there is a chill in the air.
I have made and tried many soup recipes. Most I like, but after I made this one a few weeks ago and took the first spoonful, I knew I had a new favorite.
Is Vegetable Soup Healthy?
Yes! Vegetable soup can be very healthy! Especially if you make this soup recipe that has no oil, cream, or sugar. It’s also low in sodium and has no gluten. Plus – it not only makes a delicious meal, but I keep a batch in the fridge to turn to for an afternoon snack instead of eating more calorie dense foods.
Another thing I like about making soup is that you can tweak the recipe for your likes or needs. For instance, you can use any vegetable broth you like – with sodium or not. I don’t eat a lot of nuts, but the amount in the recipe when divided by 12 servings is very little.
So do you want to know what I think makes this soup taste so good? It is the addition of carrot juice. It adds a sweetness that is just right.
I bought a very simple, inexpensive and easy to clean juicer a few months ago for another recipe I make. Having it made making carrot juice easy.
The original recipe called for removing half the soup when the veggies are soft and blending in a blender. Once that half is smooth pouring it back into the soup pot and mixing with the other half.
This tastes great, but I like my soups smooth, so I use an immersion blender to smooth the entire contents of the soup pot.
The recipe makes about 12 cups. I can’t eat it all fast enough, so I use Souper Cubes to freeze most of it.
Healthy Vegetable Soup With a Secret Ingredient
- 1 cup lentils uncooked
- 1 head cabbage cut into pieces
- 1 cup celery coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots medium sized coarsely chopped
- 2 leeks coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp no salt seasoning
- 2 cups carrot juice
- 8 cups vegetable broth low sodium or no-salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 cup raw cashews add 1/2 for less calories or 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Place all ingredients in a large soup pot, except for the cashews, kale and spinach. Bring the pot to a boil, stirring frequently so the contents don't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once boiling, reduce heat, stir, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the cashews, kale and spinach.
- Use a high speed blender or immersion blender to whip the soup until it is smooth. Note: If using a high speed blender, make sure you have the vent on the lid of the blender removed before blending as the vegetables and liquid will be very hot and will need venting before blending.
More Healthy & Delicious Fall Soup Recipes
- Autumn Beans & Greens Soup Recipe
- Easy Fire Roasted Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe
- Rustic Tomato Lentil Soup Recipe
- Fast and Easy Vegetable Soup