I have a DIY project for you today that I think will help anyone who has tile in their home and is looking for a budget friendly and easy way to freshen it so it looks like new. One of the items on my staging the house to-do list was to whiten the grout on the tile floor in my master bathroom.
No matter how much I tried to clean it, it still looked dingy. Then I found out about a very budget friendly and easy option. No tools needed besides a spray bottle of water and a sponge are needed. I wish I had know about this product sooner, I would have recolored my grout in my master bathroom years ago.
Here is how the tile floor and tub surround looked in my master bath a few weeks ago. Over the years the white grout darkened. The only way I knew to make it white again was to skim coat it which requires you to drill out the top portion of grout and then lay in a new top coat. Way too hard.
Then I stumbled upon this inexpensive product when I was buying paint at my local True Value Hardware. It is called Tile Guard Tile Grout Coating. It states that it makes grout look like new again. I had never heard of it before and became intrigued so I bought a bottle to try out.
Would it work? Was it as easy to use as the label stated? The answers…a double YES!
How to Whiten Tile Grout the Easy Way
- Clean tiled surface and let dry.
- Shake bottle well and remove cap.
- Press sponge tip up and down along grout line to apply the product. Let dry.
4. Repeat over entire tiled surface. Depending on the size of the surface you are working on will determine how long the whole process will take. It took me about an hour to apply the product all over the floor and tub surround.
5. After drying time, spray a light coat of water over the surface and use a sponge or paper towel to remove excess product. You need to apply a little bit of pressure to remove the excess, but it does come right off while leaving the grout lines very white. Let dry.
The unique formula penetrates deeply as it dries to form a durable bond with porous grout. Once dry, the coating protects against soil, stains & mildew. A winner in my book :-)
I was so thrilled with the results I took the bottle down to my kitchen and used it on the grout on the backsplash above the counters. It has been over a month since I did it.
I have washed the floor once and the product is dried on for good. I have added this to my favorite DIY products.
Tota costfor makeover $10.Time needed to complete: 1 – 3 hours
Need to whiten the caulk around a sink? Learn how to do it in this post: Updates for a Bathroom
For more DIY ideas and tips, visit TrueValueProjects.com
You May Also Like: