How to Make a Fake Topiary

How to make a fake topiary

logo_greenthumbsupThis is not the color of my thumb. I don’t have the natural ability to make plants thrive under my care and I gave up trying a long time ago.  I love plants and flowers and don’t mind using fake ones as long as they look natural. Some people are not fans of fake flowers – only because I think they envision the words “fake flowers” with the dried flower arrangements from the past. Now- a- days beautiful blooms can be purchased at Michaels and craft stores as well as Pottery Barn –yes Pottery Barn- the epitome of what is popular in decorating says it is A-OK to use FAKE – they even have a special sign displayed in their fake garden section in the store to remind you of the fact.

Seeing this just re-enforces my choice to use” fake” in my home.   I still love real flowers and buy them from time to time to add a seasonal color pop to brighten my day.

Years ago  I made a fake topiary for my kitchen using  fake ivy.  I made two. Last summer I tossed them as they looked dated to me – to0 perfect, stiff, stuffy, green, tired, and yes –  dusty.

Fake Topiary

I like the look of lighter, fresher looking topiaries. Topiary that have very thin, tall stems with wispy tops.  They look natural – light and airy – alive not staid and stuffy.

My-Inspiration

I got an idea after seeing Trax my cat ripping apart some fake greenery I had placed on the floor.  You should see what he does to anything real – another reason I don’t have living plants around.  Trax is always trying to help me – usually by getting in my way, but he actually helped me figure out a way I could make an updated fake, but natural looking topiary using the greenery from the flower pot on the floor.   I like this greenery as it is soft and wispy, plus it’s not perfect looking.  Some of the branches have a yellow cast which makes it look real.

How to Make a Fake Topiary with Craft Store Artificial Plants

How to make fake topiary for your home

Supplies Needed:

Thin and Straight Tree Branch – I found mine by taking a walk in the woods
Foam/Oasis
Flower Pot
Fake Greenery- I found mine at Michaels
Hot Glue and Gun
Wire cutter
Scissors
Florist’s Wire

1. Cut tree branch to height desired. Mine is 20-inches. I also cut the buds off.

How-to-make-a-fake topiary-tree-

2. Put in foam or oasis block in a flower pot and cover with damp sheet moss.

How-to-make-a-fake-topiary tutorial

3.  Cut each stem away from the bouquet with wire cutters.

How-to-make-a-topiary-green

How-to-make-a-topiary--cut

4.  On each branch remove the top piece of greenery. It should come right off.

How-to-make-a-topiary-remov

5.  Bend wire.  This will create a “stop” and keep the greenery from coming off the stem in the next step.

How-to-make-a-topiary-bend-

6. Using your fingers – push all the branches on each stem up to the stop.

how-to-make-a-topiary-push-

How-to-make-a-topiary-all-s

7. Pick one stem to be your main stem, then one by one wrap the other stems around the main one two times and cut the excess off.

How-to-make-a-topiary-wrapp

8.  It will end up looking like this.

How-to-make-a-topiary--knot

9.  Using florist’s wire attach stem to branch. Use a dab of hot glue if needed.

How-to-make-a-topiary-wire-

10.  To hide the twisted wire and fill in the bottom a bit-

how-to-make-a-topiary-fill-

11.  Put a bit of hot glue on the end of the pulled off top pieces and stick them into the bottom center of the ball.

how-to-make-a-topiary-glue-

12. It will then look like this.

how-to-make-a-topiary-fille

13.  Tie one or two more pieces of florist’s wire along the branch to secure the stem.

How-to-make-a-topiary-tie-o

Optional:  I wanted to have the main stem go along the branch and down to the pot to resemble a living topiary, but  the stems from my greenery were not long enough, so I pieced it and secure it with some more florist’s wire.  The stem is what makes it look like it is real and living.

how-to-make-a-topiary-match

14.  Shape the top into a rounder shape using scissors.

How-to-make-a-fake-topiary-

Now I have updated, natural looking topiaries for my kitchen that don’t need watering and that even I can’t kill.  It would be nice if they could smell like fresh herbs, but they do look real.     Just have to make sure Trax the cat doesn’t like them as much as I do now.

How to make a fake topiary tutorial

sponsored

Comments

Great idea! I love the springtime freshness and it looks much more modern in comparison to the old ivy topiaries that were so popular years ago.

2. Connie Bishop says

Topiaries are never out of style with me but you’re right some of the older ones just looked like a green ball on a stick. Yours are so perfectly airy and fresh. You’ve given them a new and exciting life.

I don’t have a green thumb either. I don’t know what camp I am in about using fake flowers…but the topiaries turned out amazing!!
    I used to sell topiaries with mini dried rose buds in the 90’s…do you remember that look? Talk about dated! Anyway, this idea is lovely and I think I might have to give it a go.
    thanks for the inspiration!
    xo
    Ashlyn

Hi Ashlyn-

I remember them well. I made a bunch for table settings for my sister’s baby shower – with satin ribbon!! That seems like so long ago.

I use the faux flowers and greenery as well, but find that only the expensive stuff really looks good.

A good trick I use, both in my home and when staging houses, is to use fakes that would actually be in season . I then just put them away and change them out as the seasons change.

5. Shelley says

Now that’s thinking outside the box. Wow!!! They turned out great.

Blessings,
    Shelley

The topiary is so cute! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I definitely want to try this.

Have a great day.
    Pam

just darling! you’d never know that was fake! thank you for the visit! i know exactly what you mean about the Lithua?what? I cracked that’s happened to me my whole life. My friend’s father went there and he said the countryside is just beautiful!! enjoy the weekend! susan

That looks sensational! It’s good to see that people aren’t scared of using “fake” foliage because sometimes we just can’t access or afford fresh flowers every week! Great post.

Best wishes,
    Natasha.

This is inspiring. I have a black thumb and while I love the look of plants in my home…I kill them within days. This are gorgeous and I just may try some to add a little green love in my house!

Diane, this is fantastic! I think I even remember seeing these stems last time I was at Michael’s. You did a wonderful job enhancing these and they really do look real. I’m not opposed to faux either as long as they are good looking- thanks so much for sharing this at Transformations and Treasures!

Hi Bettsi-
      Thanks so much. I wish I did have a green thumb, but making this is the second best way to at least look like I do.

Hi Megan-

Here is a wish of Good Luck – although I don’t think you will need it as the topiary is not hard to make.

i absolutely love this…..now i just have to find the supplies in canberra where craft suppliers are few and far between……. but i will have one damn it!!!!
    thanks for the great tutorial.
    cheryl xox.

They really do look real! Wish I would have seen them a couple weeks earlier. I was searching for some “real” looking ones, couldn’t find what I wanted, ended up making 2 from coffee filters, I like them, but I like yours better, oh well maybe after Chirstmas I’ll change them. Thanks for the inspiration!

I love that. It looks like you used fake asparagus fern, which is one of my favs. I have earmarked a page in Ballard’s catalog with very similar topiaries-thanks for showing me how to save some money!

14. StephC says

I found your tutorial by googling “artificial topiary” – or something like that – after I had dejectedly decided that an outdoor box topiary would be out of our price range. We’re thinking of prepping to sell. Our front door needs *something* to make it look nice, and I’ve always wanted to put a plant nearby.

Your blog is so inspiring & encouraging!

15. Paulette says

I prefer to call them “faux” flowers and not “fake”. I worked for several years in the “faux” flower industry. I worked for a company called Distinctive Designs, Inc. They have won many awards for their work. Another company, also in Alabama, known as NDI, Natural Decorations Inc. is accomplished in the design field as well. They too have won many awards. Check out either website. Especially, http://www.ndi.com. You will be pleasantly surprised at how beautiful and realistic the “fake” flowers are. While you are there, go ahead and be amazed at the other things from nature that they bring to life. I will be the first to admit their florals (stems or arranged) are not cheap. Far, far from it. But I guess what I’m saying is: there are choices out there other than the real thing. And the “fake” flower business is alive and well. Another suggestion along with Michaels is Hobby Lobby. I find better prices and more realistic look there. Also they have 1/2 price about every other week. Happy planting………..!

16. Keilani says

Love this!!! and About missing the scent…… Around Christmas Bath n Body works sells some greenery air fresher sprays that smell very good. I purchased one that was an winter pine and I used it near my faux Christmas tree. But a lot of bushes now days have that pine scent.

17. shelley says

Great post!! I am pinning this, and also making this today!!! Now I can throw away the decorator catalogs I have been saving for when I was ready to “bite the bullet” and pay for one of these!