How To Make a Gift Wrap Organizer

I finished Part 1 of 3 sections on the “Creative Wall” in my Studioffice that I have been working on.  It is a place to organize giftwrap.  Before making this gift wrap organizer I had all my giftwrap stuffed into a planter style urn.  Not a good system – as it ruined the paper. Now all my paper is easy to reach and will stay perfect, plus – it looks so pretty hanging on the wall.

I rounded up a few gift wrap organizing ideas on Pinterest that I posted about over at Momtastic and took bits and pieces of each idea to make an organizer that would work into my Creative Wall plan of 3 frames across the wall – each frame to be used for a different purpose.

Gift wrap organizing ideas

Materials Needed:

Frame – You can see how I made them in this post – Putting the Creative Wall Together
Drill and drill bit
Cup hooks – Lowes sells them – 2 in a pack
Measuring tape
Pencil
Café style curtain rods – the rods each come with brackets to hang, but  they were too big. I used cup hooks because they are simpler to attach and look aesthetically better on the frame.
Saw tooth frame hangers

Hooks

After assembling and painting the frames, I leaned them against the wall for hanging placement.

Empty-frames

Once I had the exact placement on the wall figured out. I removed the gift wrap frame and drilled holes along each side of it in even increments to hold cup hooks. The cup hooks will hold up café style curtain rods that slip through each roll of gift wrap.

How to make a gift wrap holder

I have 8 rolls of gift wrap so I needed 16 cup hooks.

How to organize gift wrap

You can see how nicely the curtain rod ends fit into the hooks. The caps on the ends of the rods keep the rods in place.

How to organize gift wrap

Simply insert a roll of gift wrap over a rod and place into the cup hooks.  Note:  It can be a bit tricky if the cup hook is placed into a recess on the molding.  The first side went in easy, the second side I had to gently push in.  If I placed the cup hooks on the highest profile part of the molding – the rods would not have anything to block the tips from going into the cup holder. If you use flat molding you won’t have this problem.

Close-up-of-gift-wrap-frame

I then hammered a saw tooth hanger to the back to hang the frame.

How to organize gift wrap

Gift-wrap organizer

Other places you can find me this week:

My Colortopia – Tips and Tricks & Dealing With Disasters

Mom It Forward – How to Stencil a Wall With a Royal Design Studio Stencil

Momtastic – DIY Lucite Tray

Comments

I love the gift wrap organization you made! It looks like a piece of art itself hanging on the wall.

One question I have though is, is it easy to tear off sheets of wrapping paper off the roll when you need to use it? Or do you just take the roll off the hangers?

I have it mounted above my worktable so I can stand in front of it and simply pull the end of the gift wrap I want to use and cut it with scissors.I don’t have to remove the roll from the organizer. When the roll is empty, I will take it off and replace with a new roll. That is the beauty of it – simple and easily accessible.

2. Sheryll & Critters. says

Oh, I must/have to do this one very soon. And it is surely a work of art and beautiful on your wall.

Thank you once again for a wonderful idea and wonderful instructions!!

That looks great, Diane! I have a gift wrap organizer that I’m waiting to hang up {we have to spackle and paint the laundry room where it will be going} and I can’t wait to get it up. I’m going to use up what I have in printed paper but then I’m just going to get plain white and plain kraft paper for wrapping.

4. Tracie says

LOVE your whole blog, and this idea is great. I was thinking a couple strategically placed paper clips on each end, until you need to use it, would make it even neater. Thanks for all your inspiring ideas!

This is really a great idea! I need to get organized!! Spring is certainly the time for it…thanks for sharing your fabulous idea!

This was my favorite part of the your wall when you first shared it. We have all of our gift wrap in one of those garbage can looking things, standing on end. The papers do get all wrinkled on the bottom, and I have been wanting a better solution.

Now I just have to find a spot where I could hang it up!

I love this idea and I am going to use it in my studio. I was wondering how I could hang my gift wrapping paper and now thanks to you, I have it figured out. Love your blog as well and I am new follower.
    Melissa

I love this! So neat and tidy. I was thinking one in my bathroom for all my necklaces and beads that wind up getting tangled in my drawer, perfect!

Hi Andrea –

I did have a job one Christmas wrapping presents in a dept store. It was only a temp job to make some extra cash around the holidays. I did learn a lot about wrapping presents :)

love this idea & easy to make. I’ve been wanting to make one forever but i have too much wrapping paper and not enough space! lol

Thanks Katie – I had to edit my collection of gift wrap to only keeping the ones I use the most- I had a lot, too :) – some I haven’t used in years – I took them to the thrift store. Now I only have my favorites in the organizer. It is sort of like art on the wall. I enjoy seeing all my favorite colors.

10. Blakelyn says

I decided to make this today, or at least try (!), and thought I would provide some honest feedback. I found the materials to be very expensive, about $60 for one (I needed two) using the exact same materials you have suggested. I suppose this could vary from store to store, but I found everything at Lowe’s. I have decided to return the curtain rods and purchase dowels instead to cut cost.

I have gotten through what I hope is the most difficult part of this project, which is making the actual frame. Getting it square seemed nearly impossible, and there was no way wood glue would hold it together. We used liquid nails, and also nailed each corner with a nail gun. Unfortunately, this resulted in one corner of the frame splitting. We can repair that with caulk, but still disappointing.

I think the rest of the project will be pretty straight forward and simple. Now I’m just waiting for the frame to dry/harden so that we can caulk it and screw in the cup hooks. I think next time, I will try to buy the frame!

That is awesome how you did the gift wrapping station with the cup hooks, and a frame. I can’t believe it…. I always love how you find creative ways add things to make them pretty… What is the wall off to the left that has a beautiful design? I know I’m noisy, but I love how it looks from what I can see of it..

12. Debbie says

Hi Diane,
    Wonderful idea!
    Was wondering about your ruler-ed table…where did you get or how did you make it?

13. Jenny b says

WOW! Such simple materials and it will be fabulous! I have a daughter who loves to make her own presents, then OF COURSE wrap them. Usually the paper, ribbons, etc are strewn all over her floor in a mess….can’t wait to surprise her with this!!!!

14. Laurie S says

Love this project & can’t wait to do it! I was wondering where you find your pretty wrapping paper from?