Clothes Closet Organizing: No Slip Hangers

Hi everyone!  I hope you had a nice holiday weekend. It was just beautiful here in Pennsylvania – almost summer like. I even got a sunburn yesterday as we sat outside for most of the day – too nice to stay inside.

I began the ritual of Spring cleaning on Friday. I figured I better get started before I have to call it Summer cleaning.  I started with my clothes closet. I tossed a lot and have a big bag to take to the thrift store of all the clothes that I no longer want.

The clothes I am keeping, I placed on white plastic hangers. I like using them because they keep everything hanging in the closet looking uniform. What I don’t like about them is the fact that some of my tops or dresses slide right off the ends.   I thought about adding rubber bands to the hangers, but that was way too hard. I rummaged through my stash of crafty supplies and began playing with a few colorful pipe cleaners. They worked perfectly to make no slip hangers, plus they look colorful and pretty hanging in my closet.

Closet Organizing ideas - No slip hangers

No slip hanger tip

Supplies Needed:

Clothes Hanger

4 Pipe Cleaners – I bought mine at the craft store for 1.00 a pack

How to pad clothes hangers

1.  To start wrapping the pipe cleaner on the hanger –  bend and fold the tip over on one pipe cleaner about 1-inch.  Place on top of the end of one shoulder section of the hanger.

Organizing tips and tricks for closets

2.  Begin to wrap the pipe cleaner over the bent section and hanger to secure.

Clothes closet hanger TRick

3. Continue to wrap until you come to the end of the first pipe cleaner.  Leave a small section straight as shown in the photo.

Closet organizing ideas

4. Add the second pipe cleaner in the same way you did the first – following step 1 – 3.  You want to wrap over the end section of the first pipe cleaner along with the section you bend to start the second.  When you get to the end of the second pipe cleaner- I thought I may need a dot of hot glue – but I didn’t need it.  All I did was press the end around the hanger. It will mold to the curve of the hanger.

Decorative Hangers

You can cover the entire hanger this way. I only wanted to add some no-slip padding to each side of the hanger and 2 on each side worked perfectly for this.

Clothes organizing ideas

Repeat on the other side of the hanger.  It works on any type hanger – wire or plastic.

Clothes closet organizing Pipe-cleaner-hangers

Comments

Thanks Julie- I remember making crafts with them when I was in elementary school. They are a timeless classic with so many uses.

I need to clean my out so badly! This is a really creative idea I may just have to give it a try. Did you see the show Shelly from House of Smiths was on the other day with Sabrina on HGTV? It had some great ideas for organization.

Hi Laura – My closet was in dire need of a cleaning. It felt good to get it done. I did see the HGTV show – I love Sabrina – she is the best and the homes she went to did have some great ideas. I would love to see more shows like that on HGTV instead of all the real estate shows. I would watch HGTV more!

Although I am a huge fan of the felt slim hangers, many of my clients do not want to replace all of their plastic hangers and convert over to felt hangers. This is a great alternative and so inexpensive! Thank you Diane.

Hi Susan – Another nice thing about this trick is that the hangers that don’t need the no-slip option will still look the same along the rod – nice and uniform. Neat and organized, instead of a mis-match of different styles of hangers that can get jumbled up.

Amen, except I am not a client! I am a broke homeowner!! I agrre with Diane’s post below yours, too…it would coordinate with what I already use for other garments…FANTASTIC idea. I shared it on G+ and Pinned it!

~joy!
      Vicky @ sleeping in an unmade bed

3. Kari says

Great idea!! Pipe cleaners are always in my cleaning stash for tiny spaces like the water dispenser in the fridge door. Now they have another use too.
    Rubber bands don’t work over the long haul because they dry out and break. You have made me look at pipe cleaners in a different way! I wonder how else they can be used????
    Thanks for the tip!

Hi Kari – Thanks. I thinks pipe cleaners are one of those classic objects that has over hundreds of uses beyond cleaning out a pipe. I never used them to clean my water dispenser in my fridge, but I will be trying that out this afternoon. Thanks for that tip. :)

4. Sheryll & Critters. says

I love this idea. And I am going to do it as soon as I get some pipe cleaners. Dollar Tree does not carry them and I am not close to a craft store…. so now wondering if Wal-Mart has them. I am doing this…… but the spring cleaning….. uhhhh, it is a year long battle for me with my fur kids.

How is Trax doing today? I hope much better. Mine took months to play again after his urinary blockage. But Trax only had an infection (thank God).

Hi Sheryll – I am sure Walmart has pipe cleaners in the craft aisle. Maybe not as many colors as the craft store carries, but they will probably have a few.
      Trax is doing a bit better. He did have a blockage. He seems OK, but is still not quite himself. My daughter has taken him back to the vet to get some additional meds. He is sunning himself in a window right now.

Much more visually appealing than rubber bands. Brilliant and beautiful to look at :)

amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

Hi Diane! What a fantastic idea! Hubbs hates those thin “no-slip” hangers and prefers the plastic ones. Thanks for a perfect solution for our ongoing hanger debate! Definitely pinning this! ~Mary (newly following via email, pinterest and G+ too)

You have the best ideas!! It seems certain clothing is always slipping off that dang hanger. Need to get me some pipe cleaners now!! No excuses!!

8. Dee [Diane] says

How funny and how nice to meet someone as ‘kooky’ as I am. That was meant in the nicest way. We have a lot in common. I barely made it through math but did just fine in the realworld. Love GOOD ideas like yours.
    D*

What a GOOD idea! I’ve done the rubber bands but in no time they are dry rotted and they break and then all your times wasted. These will be there for awhile! I have some pipe cleaners to so I will HAVE to do this because I’m like you, I HATE my blouses falling off the hanger constantly!

Hi Rose – I, too had one too many shirts on the floor in a rumpled mess and needed an easy way to get them to stay in place without having to buy new hangers.

10. Laurel says

What a great idea and I’ve got pipe cleaners in my sewing/craft room :) I will be pinning it if that’s okay??

This is so cool, and it keeps dozens of plastic hangers out of the landfills.
    If you are redoing a closet, MAWA Super Grippy Hangers from Germany work like nothing else I’ve ever seen, including the felt ones. (Full disclosure, a friend of mine sells this line.) If you search “Super Grippy Hangers” you can learn more.

What a clever idea! I just became a fan and I bookmarked your photography post to read another day. I am currently taking a class and learning how to use my camera to take better photos…it’s so much fun when they turn out to be beautiful! Love your blog!

Susan

Thanks Susan – I am enjoying learning everything I can about my camera and photography. Every day I try to play with it so it becomes intuitive. Right now I still struggle with setting everything up and then realize – I forgot to change an important setting :) I keep telling myself – practice makes perfect.

Hi Diane,
    Just to let you know – your wonderful project was featured on homework. Come on over and a grab a button. As always, thank you so much for linking up your project. Have a wonderful weekend!

Wow! This is the best idea! Just the other day I was fighting to get a couple tops to stay on their hangers. So going to try this.

Diane, this is an incredible idea! I can’t believe I’ve never thought to solve the problem of my clothes falling off my hangers!! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

what a great idea! i just spent some money on those no slip hangers, but needed more! i will do this to my plastic hangers that i already have! thanks for sharing your ideas! love them!

Thanks for the lovely idea! I just happen to have leftover pipe cleaners from one of my daughter’s projects, which will be perfect for this!

I have seen this done with strips of hot glue, but wow the colors on the pipe cleaners is just incomparable! For those of us stuck in an organizational frenzy you could even color code them for seasonality! Additionally, use of these on cheap wire hangers would remove awful hanger dents from shirt shoulders.

19. Rachel says

this trick solved the problem i’ve been having with shirts slipping off hangers. thank you so much!

What a nifty idea! Thanks for sharing.
    I did pin this so I would remember what to do and I put your link in the description.

I do not even understand how I finished up here, however I assumed tjis submit was once good.
    I do not know who you’re but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger in the event you aren’t already.
    Cheers!

Hey there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to tak a look.
    I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking
    and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Fantastic blog and fantastic style and design.

23. David says

I am a male with loads of jumpers, that I store on wide-shouldered plastic hangers. Trouble is, they slip down the hanger, and I end up with bumps at the collar bone when I put them on. I had been thinking of cutting up an inner tube from a bike and gluing a strip to the ends of the hangers (I know, I know .. A man’s solution), but will give the pipe cleaner route a go.

Simple is efficient, so thanks for triggering this route.