I began the ritual of Spring cleaning on Friday. I figured I better get started before I have to call it Summer cleaning. I started with my clothes closet and made no slip hangers. I tossed a lot and have a big bag to take to the thrift store of all the clothes that I no longer want.
The clothes I am keeping, I placed on white plastic hangers. I like using them because they keep everything hanging in the closet looking uniform. What I don’t like about them is the fact that some of my tops or dresses slide right off the ends.
I thought about adding rubber bands to the hangers, but that was way too hard and would not look very nice. I rummaged through my stash of crafty supplies and began playing with a few colorful pipe cleaners. They worked perfectly to make no slip hangers, plus they look colorful and pretty hanging in my closet.
- Clothes Hanger
- 4 Pipe Cleaners – I bought mine at the craft store for 1.00 a pack
1. To start wrapping the pipe cleaner on the hanger – bend and fold the tip over on one pipe cleaner about 1-inch. Place on top of the end of one shoulder section of the hanger.
2. Begin to wrap the pipe cleaner over the bent section and hanger to secure.
3. Continue to wrap until you come to the end of the first pipe cleaner. Leave a small section straight as shown in the photo.
4. Add the second pipe cleaner in the same way you did the first – following step 1 – 3. You want to wrap over the end section of the first pipe cleaner along with the section you bend to start the second. When you get to the end of the second pipe cleaner- I thought I may need a dot of hot glue – but I didn’t need it. All I did was press the end around the hanger. It will mold to the curve of the hanger.
You can cover the entire hanger this way. I only wanted to add some no-slip padding to each side of the hanger and 2 on each side worked perfectly for this.
Repeat on the other side of the hanger.
It works on any type hanger – wire or plastic. Easy no slip hangers to coordinate with your clothes or closet decor.
I like to use colorful pipe cleaners or chenille stems as they are called when you buy them at the craft store. You can get a big box of them—-> here.
*While you are organizing your closet, consider the lighting. It is amazing what some proper wattage can do!