One Yard, No Sew Window Treatment –3 Ways

I have another turquoise project for you today. It is one that uses fabric instead of paint.    I made a no sew window treatment for my daughter’s apartment bedroom using only 1 yard of fabric.  I wasn’t sure exactly what she was going to like or even need on the window, so I made the shade versatile – she can change the look of it 1.2.3…

I photographed it on one of the windows in my studioffice.    Here is the same yard of fabric styled 3 different ways – all completed with no sewing at all.  ( After posting this I found one more way to use the shade making it 4 ways.  See end of post.)

One Yard No Sew Window Shade 3 ways

#1  No Sew Window Treatment: As a No-Sew Roman Shade.

Easy to make No-Sew-Roman-Shade

Presto Chango

#2 No Sew Window Treatment:  Double Clipped Shade

Easy no sew window shade

Easy no sew window treatment

Presto Chango once again

#3  No Sew Window Treatment: Single Clipped Shade

One yard No Sew Window Treatment

Step-by-Step-Instructions-2

Supplies Needed:

1 yard of fabric – I found this turquoise fabric at JoAnn’s Fabrics. It did not have a name on it , but was sold with all the cotton quilt fabrics, not in the decorator fabric section.
Optional: 1 yard of lining fabric
Fabric Glue or HeatN’Bond Fusible Adhesive
Scissors
Tape Measure
Iron
For Roman Shade – 4 tension rods.  I bought them at Walmart for $2.50 a piece.
For Clipped Shades – 2 Tension Rods, Decorative Brooch or Clip-On Earrings

I ran out of fabric glue in the middle of attaching the fabric lining so for this tutorial I am going to show you how to use both fabric glue and fusible adhesive. You can choose either one and do not have to use both.

No-Sew-Window-Treatment-Tutorial

1. Measure the width of the window and cut the fabric as needed making sure to add 2 extra inches to fold over so you can make finished edges.  The length of your fabric doesn’t matter, as long as the bolt you buy it from is at least 44” – 54” wide fabric.  My fabric was 44” wide.

No Sew hem

2. Press 1-inch of the fabric over on all sides.  Run a line of fabric glue or fusible adhesive along the edge of the wrong side of the fabric. Fold over to make a hem or in this case  finished edges to the yard of fabric.

3. To make top and bottom rod pockets for tension rods:  Fold over and press the top and bottom of the fabric about an inch and a half or more depending on the diameter of your rod.  (You want to make the pocket large enough for the rod to go through).  Run a line of fabric glue along the edge of the fabric and fold back over to adhere.  Let glue dry or fuse cool before putting rod through.  Note:  remove the rubber stopper on the rod to make threading it through the rod pocket easier.

If you do not need lining, then you are ready to hang the fabric.

To Make No-Sew Fabric Lining:

No-Sew-Decorating Tips and Tricks

1. Use your decorative fabric that you have already folded and finished the edges on as your pattern.  Lay lining fabric right side down on ironing board or work surface.  Fold over the lining to match the size of the decorative fabric.   Press.  I lined the entire piece, but you could stop the lining right under the folded edge of the rod pocket.

How to make no sew decor

2. It will look like this.  All you have to do now is glue/fuse the two together.

HeatN-bond-Iron-On-adhesive

3. Here is where I ran out of fabric glue and switched over to HeatN’Bond fusible tape.  Cut the tape to size and press it on all along the edges of the fabric.  Let cool.

How to use HeatN Bond Adhesive

4. Remove the paper backing.

No-Sew-Fabric-and-Lining

5. Line up the fabric and the lining and press. Repeat on all sides. Let cool before hanging.

No-Sew-Seam using fabric glue

6. A no sew seam.

How to use fabric glue to create no sew decor

7. Press the entire yard of fabric to make sure it is wrinkle-free. Put a tension rod through the top rod pocket and another through the bottom rod pocket.

Tension-Rod-No-Sew-Roman-Sh

8. To make a tension rod bigger or smaller – hold one end in each hand and twist.   Hang it up.  Attach bottom rod on the window where it falls.

Tutorial for how to make no Sew window treatments

9.  Place the other two tension rods as shown  – about an equal distance apart.

How to make a no sew window shade

10. Using both your hands – one on each side of the fabric – pull the fabric up and over the higher rod.

How to make a no-sew Roman Window Shade

11. Repeat over the lower rod.  You may need to adjust where rods are to make sure each fold of the shade is about the same size.

Roman-Shade-No-Sew

No-Sew-Roman-Shade-Lined

Now-Sew-Lined-window-shade

To Create Clipped-On Shades:

You only need1 or 2 tension rods for these treatments – for the top and bottom rod pockets.

Note: The spring on the earring clip needs to be strong or it won’t hold.  You could use pins to hold the pleats in place and then add the earrings or brooch over the pins to complete the shade.

Tension-Rod and Fabric No Sew Window Shade

1. For the center clipped shade – move the bottom rod up on the window so the fabric falls at your desired length.

Tutorial No Sew Fabric Window Treatment

2. It will look like this.

Easy Window Treatment Ideas

3. Create the pleat in the center and pin on a brooch to hold the pleats in place.

For the double clipped version. You only need one tension rod at the top. Remove the bottom rod.

No Sew Fabric Window Shade

1.   With your hands – starting along the bottom edge, accordion pleat the fabric on each side and the use a clip-on earring to hold the pleat into place.

4th way to hang the window shade:

After hanging this in my daughters apartment, I found another way to use the shade – as a bottom-up style shade.  I saw this photo in Smith and Noble catalog.  You would only need two tension rods placed top and bottom to create a bottom-up shade as shown in the middle window on this photo.   You could move it up and down as needed.

No sew Bottom-up style window shade

One Yard No Sew Window Treatment Styled 3 Different Ways

Comments

Wow! That turquoise really pops! So creative, will have to share with my girls, their always looking for an easy update!

Kristin

This is such a great tutorial! So creative and I love that you use 1 yard of material. I have a small bathroom window that I am not happy with… I’ll be trying on e of your great techniques!
    Please stop by StoneGable and join Tutorials Tips and Tidbits going on now! This Tutorial is so helpful!

3. Screendoorgirl 3 says

Hi Diane . Great idea. I sometimes fall in love with a fabric and just buy a yard for fun, so this is perfect! Thanks , I will pin this and refer back to it asap.

4. Sue says

What a triple play here! I love the Roman shade idea. How perfectly simple to use tension rods. Frugal, too. :-) Sue

This is really great. I can’t screw into my walls to hang curtains either and I have had a sheet hanging for way too long. can’t wait to not sew some window treatments!

This is exactly the post I needed…I have had material I found on clearance sitting in the garage…no sewing machine…but I knew there was a way I could make curtains. I see a project in my future. Thanks

7. Sheryll & Critters. says

Once again, you are just brilliant. I believe you said you don’t care to sew, but you sure have all the necessary requirements to sew anything you choose. All it takes is the way to get to what you want the end result to be and you sure figure that out all the time.

I have now decided to use just a bottom tension rod on my tiny half bath window in my bedroom… it already has frosted glass windows (but so boring and black windows instead of white just do not ‘get it’ for me). I was going to make and add cafe curtains just so I could have more open space at times, but no need with your wonderful ideas.

Thank you again for all the help you have given to me and so many others too.

Thanks Bobi – I had the shade on my studioffice window for a few days before taking it down to give to my daughter. I got used to it and now my window looks so bare. I think I may make two for both windows in my office soon using another fabric.

My blog design is a work in progress. I have been blogging for almost 3 years and the design has changed as I learn new things. I do most everything myself and do hire back end assistance when what I need done is way over my non-technical head – all those things ending in “P” ftp, php. etc. :) Working on new navigation now which I am very excited about.

Thanks for following XO

8. Sherry says

GREAT Ideas! One question though…I don’t understand how the second tension rod is used on the clip options? Thanks

Hi Sherry – It is pretty simple, but hard to explain. :) The rod pocket bottom is no longer going to be the bottom of the shade. You bring the bottom rod behind the shade so that you will have a new shorter version of the shade without having to cut the fabric.

Decide where you want the fabric to fall on the window. Move the tension rod behind the shade and keep moving it up until you like where the bottom edge of the fabric is falling on the window. When you like where this rolled edge of the fabric falls – place your tension rod as high up on the window as needed. Doing this creates a soft fold on the bottom of the fabric. This new bottom is what you pleat with your hands and pin.

Another way to look at is this – the bottom tension rods placement in the window determines how short or long the shade will be. In the morning you may want it as short as a valance to let in the morning light. To do that you would bring the bottom rod all the way up behind the shade right under the top rod. In the afternoon you can move the bottom rod further down in the window to create a longer shade to block out the harsh afternoon sun. The bottom rod is used as a way to change the length of the shade easily. Where ever you place it the bottom edge of the fabric will always look finished because it it just a soft fold.

• Sherry says

Thansk, Diane – now I get it! I think I need to make these, with lining, for my west facing windows. They have roller shades but with a good black out lining these should do the job and be MUCH more attractive.

Hi again Sherry -

I forgot to tell you on the shade with 2 clips – one on each side. The tension rod is removed from the bottom rod pocket. That treatment only needs one rod pocket at the top.

I Meg – I found the fabric at Jo-Ann’s Fabrics. It is cotton fabric that is on bolts where the quilting squares are sold. Not with the decorator fabric.

9. Susan says

What a fabulous idea ! When you live in an apartment you hate to make holes in walls sto hang curtains ,and this is so easy and ver stunning! Thank you for sharing your idea. I know I will c=be coming back to see what’s new everyday. Have a wonderful Day .
    Susan

10. Vera says

AMAZING!!! I love the roman shade look. I am going to make this for my guest room. I love it!! Thank you for the great idea!!!

WOWZA! I love this idea, this just might be what i need to do in the master bath. thank you!
    XO
    Kristin
    PS..hope you don’t mind I linked it to fb :)

12. Jessica says

I made these shades over the weekend and I love them! My house was built in 1901 and needless to say none of the windows are standard sizes. In my living room is a huge window that is actually 3 windows side by side. On each side is a 21 1/2 inch wide window with a 43 1/2 inch window in the middle. Curtains never looked right and custom roman shade were going to cost a fortune. The only thing I did different is that I sewed my shades instead of using glue/tape. Very easy to make only took about 3 hours and I was going slow and taking my time. Thank you for posting this tutorial it saved me a bundle!!

13. Carrie says

This is such a great idea!!!! Can’t wait to try this for my kids rooms and my room!!!!!

14. Jeana says

Just found your site after seeing the 1 yd- no sew photo on Pintrest….Love Love this site. My daughter is building a home with LOTS of windows and this may work very well until she can do all the windows individually. This is sooo great for college student apartments also–or anywhere else! (it sure beats covering the windows with a “sheet” :) )—-Thank you for sharing!

15. Claudia says

This is the greatest thing I have seen in quite awhile. I would like to make kitchen curtains for my daughters kitchen and do not want to spend a fortune. Thanks for sharing this, I will be going to Joanne’s today.

16. LANA says

THIS IDEA ROCKS! YOU MAKE IT LOOK SO EASY. I WILL TRY AND WILL USE THE LINING THAT BLOCKS OUT THE SUN….FOR MY BED ROOM.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT PIN.

17. Carrie says

Great post! I did this with clearance PILLOWCASES from Target. I ripped the seams and it worked perfectly! Thanks!

You’re a lifesaver. I’m preparing to put my house on the market, and wanted a Roman shade, and even though I know how to sew, I don’t feel I have enough time to make one. I can’t begin to tell you how thrilled I am now that I’ve found your “Roman Shade.” I have a couple of tension rods, and I’m going to make your roman shade. I can’t begin to thank you enough, GREAT IDEA. :O)

19. Marcia says

Ohhhh – you did it again! Time to get measuring and buy some tension rods… I love no-sew projects. Thank you

20. Krys says

Okay, you have a new big fan.
    That “Roman Shade” is the cleverest trick I have ever seen, and I can’t WAIT to try it on my boring windows (that are begging for an uplift)!!! :)

21. Beatrice says

I’m a Kenyan woman, just visited your site for the first time, i like what you are doing… keep it up

22. shirley says

I am not a sewer and I’m always looking for great ideas that don’t require your skill. These ideas are great. Thank you.

23. Linda says

Great idea. I know you made it a no sew, I am into sewing, but the ideas with the rods is great.

24. Natalie Muoio says

I love how you give awesome decorating tips best of all is there inexpensive ways to make a house a home and feel beautiful… I am wondering where do you get your gorgeous collection of vintage earrings and brooches? I love that idea….

Thanks Natalie – I have collected the vintage earrings, buttons, and brooches since I was in high school. I just love looking at them, especially in mass :) I have found most of them at flea markets, thrift stores, ebay and the best place- retirement community thrift shops. The elderly ladies often sell their old stuff very inexpensively or when someone dies the family often donates the items they don’t want to the shop that is usually in the main building of the community. Call the communities and ask if they have a thrift shop open to the public. In my area – every retirement community has one.

25. Martha says

I am new at this heat-n-bond stuff. I have reviewed your instructions and wonderful pictures to do the roman shade for my kitchen. It may seem silly but I am looking at your picture after “to make No-sew Fabric Lining #1 instructions that shows the lining which appears slightly pressed about 1 inch and not bonded as seams. My question is….do you need to bond the lining all along the edges before bonding to the color fabric.

Thanks…just want to get this right the first time and if I do .,..I’ll share a picture,

Hi Martha – Both the lining and the fabric edges need to be turned 1 – inch to the wrong side and then pressed, you do not need to glue or bond under the turned edges, but it will help keep the edges flatter if you do. The lining and fabric should be the same size after you do this. You then place the Heat N’ Bond on top of the turned edge on the lining, remove the paper backing and then align the fabric edge right on top of it making sure the lining and the fabric edged match up, then press to adhere the two pieces together.

26. Karen Madden Dreiser says

My Gosh..love this too.. Wish you lived in NEW YORK.. LOL My daughter and her fiancé just bought a new home..these are PERFECT! :)

Hi Amanda -
      Thanks for featuring the window treatments on your Facebook page and blog. It is one of my most popular posts. First Magazine featured it last summer in print. I find that easy and do-able projects are always popular.

27. keenpetite says

Our home is over 100 yrs old,a guest house in back is my new sewing room (20×20) with powder room, 2 large windows. this idea will work great for those windows.
    Wood floor & soft colors.
    Carmen