DIY: Christmas Porch Light Decoration

Christmas-Outdoor-Porch-Decoration

Over the weekend, Ed, my daughters, and I went to pick out our Christmas Tree.  We like to get a real one and for the past 4 years we have gone to Corkum Tree Farm in Skippack Townsip, Pa to get it.  While there, I also like to buy the cuttings from all the trees that they tie up into bundles and sell for a few dollars. I like to use them to add fresh greens around the house – usually on the mantel and window sills.    This year, I made greenery sprays with them, to hang under the exterior light fixtures using a block of foam and a wire coat hanger.

Christmas-Greenery Decorating Ideas

This is an easy and very affordable way to decorate not only your front porch or entryway, but a door, window, gate, carriage light, or fence post. I added to the greenery I bought by clipping a few sprigs from a boxwood in my yard to create a interesting mix of texture to the hook-on greenery.

Christmas-Outdoor-Greenery-

It cost me about $5 to make and took about 30 minutes.

Outdoor-Holiday-Decorating

How To Make Hook-On Christmas Greenery

Supplies-Needed

Supplies Needed:

Foam block – preferably green
Wire coat hanger
4 Green chenille stems
U-shaped florist pins or paper clips (open paper clips and form a U-shape with the wire)
Variety of greenery from your yard or tree trimmings from a local Christmas tree seller.
Tree branch snippers
Optional:  ribbon, ornaments, a few more chenille stems

Holiday Greenery 101

1.  Bend the coat hanger as shown and attach with the U-shaped pins.  Twist two chenille stems together to create a longer one. Do the same thing with the other two more chenille stems. Wrap and tie them around the foam block as shown. This will be the back of the greenery hanger.

Fresh Holiday Decorating Greenery Idea

Hang over arm on light fixture.  If hanging on a door or window – add a piece of green felt to the back so the wire does not mar the paint or glass.

How to decorate with Christmas-Greenery

To keep greenery fresher longer, dip foam into water. I laid the foam and hanger on the ground outside as I worked on it.  Once I had most of it covered, I hung it back up to make sure it was shaped symmetrically.   To create the shape – imagine the shape and size of the cluster you want. My light is large so I wanted to keep the size of the greenery in proportion.  Start by placing the long stem at the top and bottom to mark the length; then mark side edges with shorter stems. Begin to fill in the shape, working from the outside edges of the block, and placing shorter stems on top.  Layer until you cannot see the foam block.

Exterior Holiday Decorating Ideas

I mixed Douglas fir, scotch pine, and boxwood.

Exterior Christmas Decorating Idea

I made a bow using red opalescent ribbon. I tied a few small ornaments to the center using a chenille stem and then tied it all onto the greenery with another chenille stem.

Christmas-Outdoor-Decorating Ideas

Add pine cones instead of ornaments or whatever you like.  Mist with water to keep the greens fresher longer.

This is the first holiday decoration I have created so far this year.  Have you started decorating yet?

sponsored

Comments

1. Margo says

Gorgeous! We spent Thanksgiving with my folks and as we were leaving I asked my Mom if I could take her Southern Living to read on our trip. I was thrilled to see your bathroom makeover featured in the magazine. Congratulations to you!!

• Margo says

Oh! Please excuse me, Diane! Yes, I saw it in This Old House (November/December 2012 issue for those who are interested). And it was very exciting. :)

This is absolutely brilliant! I get my greenery from the leftover bin at HOME DEPOT….did you know they give it away for free? Anyway, after years of getting out the ladder and fighting with making the greens hang right….you in your infinite wisdom have solved the problem…I thank you, my back thanks you….and BTW I pinned this!

Hi Mary – Thanks. Yes -No ladder needed :) I have gotten free greenery leftovers, but when I can, I try to support local family run businesses. I didn’t mind buying a bunch for a few dollars. Thanks for pinning XO

Thanks Kathy. I like to use traditional Christmas decor and color on the exterior of my house. Most of my neighbors do the same thing and it makes our street look very festive.

Hi Debbie – they are so easy to make, too. The hardest part was I made them outside and it is COLD here in Pa. I was freezing making them and taking the photos :) Enjoy your week.

It’s BEAUTIFUL! I will modify it a bit as we have a gas lantern (doesn’t wok, but that doesn’t mean we can’t dress it up!). Thanks for another great project! (Pinned!!!)

That’s a super idea. Looks easy. I feel like getting all the stuff together (common household items — love that!) and making one immediately. I’m trying to finish my exterior decorations before I do my interior, the fun part.

5. tammy says

Thanks for posting this. My neighbor was taking down 2 pine trees. He said I could have as many branches as I want for free. Remembered your post….Love free with a great idea!

6. Jacquie says

A picture is worth a thousand words! Once I saw the picture with the coat hanger and the florist foam, I was gathering all the materials. Your blog is wonderful! Thanks so much for all the great ideas.

7. Cathy says

Hi,
    As always, your projects are beautiful and elegant in their simplicity and very doable.
    Thanks so much for all your great ideas.
    Cathy

8. Susan says

Beautiful seasonal greenery, but I must tell you that is one of the most attractive light fixtures I have ever seen! Just beautiful!!!

can u do this for window sills.we have a bay window and a 5 other windows i have always wanted to do the pine sprays on,but never knew how to do them to keep fresh and look full.Any ideas would be appreciated.

10. cathy kirkman says

I am definitely doing this… So glad to have found it and thank you for sharing. Like the idea you can do it for little or no cost… Thanks again,

11. Gretchen says

Wow, these are beautiful. I live in the desert and live greens dry up way to quick out here. The local scouts don’t even bother trying to sell them. Do you think this would work with fake greens or would it look cheap?

Hi Gretchen – Most definitely! Fake greens have come a long way and can look great – plus from the street view – no one will know the difference :)

12. Claire Middleton says

We love this idea and will be gathering the bits together to have a go. When finished we are sure it will look fabulous on the door!