DIY: Christmas Porch Light Decoration

by Diane Henkler on 11/25/2012

Christmas-Outdoor-Porch-Decoration

Over the weekend, Ed, my daughters, and I went to pick out our Christmas Tree.  We like to get a real one and for the past 4 years we have gone to Corkum Tree Farm in Skippack Townsip, Pa to get it.  While there, I also like to buy the cuttings from all the trees that they tie up into bundles and sell for a few dollars. I like to use them to add fresh greens around the house – usually on the mantel and window sills.    This year, I made greenery sprays with them, to hang under the exterior light fixtures using a block of foam and a wire coat hanger.

Christmas-Greenery Decorating Ideas

This is an easy and very affordable way to decorate not only your front porch or entryway, but a door, window, gate, carriage light, or fence post. I added to the greenery I bought by clipping a few sprigs from a boxwood in my yard to create a interesting mix of texture to the hook-on greenery.

Christmas-Outdoor-Greenery-

It cost me about $5 to make and took about 30 minutes.

Outdoor-Holiday-Decorating

How To Make Hook-On Christmas Greenery

Supplies-Needed

Supplies Needed:

Foam block – preferably green
Wire coat hanger
4 Green chenille stems
U-shaped florist pins or paper clips (open paper clips and form a U-shape with the wire)
Variety of greenery from your yard or tree trimmings from a local Christmas tree seller.
Tree branch snippers
Optional:  ribbon, ornaments, a few more chenille stems

Holiday Greenery 101

1.  Bend the coat hanger as shown and attach with the U-shaped pins.  Twist two chenille stems together to create a longer one. Do the same thing with the other two more chenille stems. Wrap and tie them around the foam block as shown. This will be the back of the greenery hanger.

Fresh Holiday Decorating Greenery Idea

Hang over arm on light fixture.  If hanging on a door or window – add a piece of green felt to the back so the wire does not mar the paint or glass.

How to decorate with Christmas-Greenery

To keep greenery fresher longer, dip foam into water. I laid the foam and hanger on the ground outside as I worked on it.  Once I had most of it covered, I hung it back up to make sure it was shaped symmetrically.   To create the shape – imagine the shape and size of the cluster you want. My light is large so I wanted to keep the size of the greenery in proportion.  Start by placing the long stem at the top and bottom to mark the length; then mark side edges with shorter stems. Begin to fill in the shape, working from the outside edges of the block, and placing shorter stems on top.  Layer until you cannot see the foam block.

Exterior Holiday Decorating Ideas

I mixed Douglas fir, scotch pine, and boxwood.

Exterior Christmas Decorating Idea

I made a bow using red opalescent ribbon. I tied a few small ornaments to the center using a chenille stem and then tied it all onto the greenery with another chenille stem.

Christmas-Outdoor-Decorating Ideas

Add pine cones instead of ornaments or whatever you like.  Mist with water to keep the greens fresher longer.

This is the first holiday decoration I have created so far this year.  Have you started decorating yet?

Pin It

1 Margo November 26, 2012 at 6:07 am

Gorgeous! We spent Thanksgiving with my folks and as we were leaving I asked my Mom if I could take her Southern Living to read on our trip. I was thrilled to see your bathroom makeover featured in the magazine. Congratulations to you!!

2 Diane Henkler November 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

Thanks Margo. It was fun to see it featured in This Old House Magazine. Is that the magaizne you saw it in?

3 Margo November 26, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Oh! Please excuse me, Diane! Yes, I saw it in This Old House (November/December 2012 issue for those who are interested). And it was very exciting. :)

4 Mary at Sweetwater Style November 26, 2012 at 6:10 am

This is absolutely brilliant! I get my greenery from the leftover bin at HOME DEPOT….did you know they give it away for free? Anyway, after years of getting out the ladder and fighting with making the greens hang right….you in your infinite wisdom have solved the problem…I thank you, my back thanks you….and BTW I pinned this!

5 Diane Henkler November 26, 2012 at 10:48 am

Hi Mary – Thanks. Yes -No ladder needed :) I have gotten free greenery leftovers, but when I can, I try to support local family run businesses. I didn’t mind buying a bunch for a few dollars. Thanks for pinning XO

6 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions November 26, 2012 at 6:43 am

Beautiful, Diane! Love the bow with the ornaments added, too!

7 Diane Henkler November 26, 2012 at 10:41 am

Thanks Kathy. I like to use traditional Christmas decor and color on the exterior of my house. Most of my neighbors do the same thing and it makes our street look very festive.

8 Donna McBroom-Theriot November 26, 2012 at 9:46 am

I love your picture directions. Thanks so much! Donna

9 Debbie~refreshrestyle November 26, 2012 at 10:15 am

I love it! I’ll have to try a couple, my front porch needs some Christmas cheer :)
Debbie

10 Diane Henkler November 26, 2012 at 10:34 am

Hi Debbie – they are so easy to make, too. The hardest part was I made them outside and it is COLD here in Pa. I was freezing making them and taking the photos :) Enjoy your week.

11 Angie Simonsen November 26, 2012 at 12:41 pm

It’s BEAUTIFUL! I will modify it a bit as we have a gas lantern (doesn’t wok, but that doesn’t mean we can’t dress it up!). Thanks for another great project! (Pinned!!!)

12 Barbara @ DIY Home Staging Tips November 26, 2012 at 4:43 pm

That’s a super idea. Looks easy. I feel like getting all the stuff together (common household items — love that!) and making one immediately. I’m trying to finish my exterior decorations before I do my interior, the fun part.

13 DeDe@Designed Decor November 26, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Awesome! Love it!

14 tammy November 27, 2012 at 11:44 am

Thanks for posting this. My neighbor was taking down 2 pine trees. He said I could have as many branches as I want for free. Remembered your post….Love free with a great idea!

15 denyse@crazy beautiful life November 27, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I love this. It’s beautiful!

16 Lauren November 27, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Love all of these Christmas decorations. This is without my favorite time of the year.

17 Jacquie November 28, 2012 at 12:01 am

A picture is worth a thousand words! Once I saw the picture with the coat hanger and the florist foam, I was gathering all the materials. Your blog is wonderful! Thanks so much for all the great ideas.

18 Cathy November 28, 2012 at 1:54 am

Hi,
As always, your projects are beautiful and elegant in their simplicity and very doable.
Thanks so much for all your great ideas.
Cathy

19 Susan November 29, 2012 at 1:38 am

Beautiful seasonal greenery, but I must tell you that is one of the most attractive light fixtures I have ever seen! Just beautiful!!!

20 barbara November 11, 2013 at 5:34 am

can u do this for window sills.we have a bay window and a 5 other windows i have always wanted to do the pine sprays on,but never knew how to do them to keep fresh and look full.Any ideas would be appreciated.

21 cathy kirkman November 14, 2013 at 8:54 am

I am definitely doing this… So glad to have found it and thank you for sharing. Like the idea you can do it for little or no cost… Thanks again,

22 Gretchen November 18, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Wow, these are beautiful. I live in the desert and live greens dry up way to quick out here. The local scouts don’t even bother trying to sell them. Do you think this would work with fake greens or would it look cheap?

23 Diane Henkler November 19, 2013 at 11:02 am

Hi Gretchen – Most definitely! Fake greens have come a long way and can look great – plus from the street view – no one will know the difference :)

24 Claire Middleton November 26, 2013 at 10:48 am

We love this idea and will be gathering the bits together to have a go. When finished we are sure it will look fabulous on the door!

25 Shan@FamilyBringsJoy December 8, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I can’t thank you enough for this tutorial! This is GENIUS! Completely brilliant! So excited to make mine now! :)

26 Diane Henkler December 9, 2013 at 8:48 am

Thanks Shan – I used real greens, but you could even use fake greens so you can reuse it year after year. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.