Pottery Barn Knock-Off: Cucina Paper Towel Holder

by Diane Henkler on 12/03/2012

I saw this Cucina Paper Towel Holder in the Pottery Barn catalog recently and immediately thought of my daughter – she is into kitchen stuff, loves to cook, and into green living– note the un-bleached paper towel roll.  I wanted to get one for her for Christmas, but with tax, shipping, and handling it would cost over $50.   So instead of buying one, I made one using old wooden utensils I had.

The Pottery Barn one is on the left.  I didn’t have a fork as decorative or long enough for the center of the holder, so I switched the utensils around to make my version on the right.

Knock-off-Potttery-Barn-Cucina Paper Towel Holder

This was very easy to make.  I had everything needed on hand, except the wood base that I bought for a few dollars at the craft store.  I would like to make more and am on the lookout for interesting wood utensils to use.   I decided to paint it to look like the Pottery Barn version, but you could paint it any color. I think it would look divine painted with chalk paint, distressed, and aged.  As with any DIY – lots of possibilities.

Pottery Barn Knock off Cucina Paper Towel Holder

Step-by-Step-Instructions-2

Supplies Needed:

Wooden spoon and fork with round dowel-like handles  – you can find them here:  FactoryDirectCraft
7” round wooden base – craft store
Wood glue
Drill and drill bit the diameter of the wooden spoon or fork handle
Spray paint

Optional:  If your wood utensils are not as high as the paper towel roll you use, you will need to add a section of a 1- 1/4” diameter wood dowel to create more height for the center utensil.  I had the dowel in my scrap wood pile, but a wooden thimble would work well, too.
If wood dowel is needed:  2 – 1”  flat head wood screws

These instructions are for short handled utensils. If yours are longer than the paper towel roll, then skip cutting a dowel and just drill two holes on the top of the wood base (center and near the rim ) a little smaller than the utensils’ handles.

How-to-make-a-pottery-barn-Cucina paper towel holder

1.  Decide which utensil will be in the center. The spoon I had was much longer than the fork, so I used that for the center.  It still wasn’t as high as the paper towel roll, so I had to cut a 2-inch section from a wide dowel. Drill a hole in the center on one end of the dowel about an inch down into it.

3.  Find center in round base and mark with an “X”. Place end of dowel over “X” and trace around dowel .  Pre-drill two holes for wood screws. Flip over to underside and screw in the screws through the base and into the centered dowel.

Pottery Barn Knock-Off-Decor-Paper-Towel holder

4.  Place roll of paper towels over dowel.  Mark placement for utensil that will hold the sheets of paper towel back. Drill hole into base. Use wood glue to secure front utensil to the base. Let dry.   (Before gluing, if needed, cut the height of the front utensil to resemble the Pottery Barn holder).  Do not glue center utensil into center hole, this needs to be removable so you can change the paper towel roll when needed.

Pottery-Barn-Knockoff-Tutorial

5.  Paint. I used one coat of Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint and one coat of Hammered Bronze.

Pin It

1 Kendra December 3, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I actually like your version better!

2 momcounsel December 3, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I like your version better too! The spoon in the Pottery Barn version looks plastic. Great DIY!

3 Danielle December 3, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I agree too! The PB fork is a little creepy. What a great personal gift:)

4 Diane Henkler December 3, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Hi Danielle – the PB fork does kinda look like a pitch fork, right out of a Halloween movie. :)

5 Madonna December 4, 2012 at 12:33 am

The others are correct, your knock-off is better. May I suggest Ikea for wooden spoons and forks. They are the cheapest I have seen anywhere.

6 Paula D December 4, 2012 at 7:05 am

How clever, I love this for a tw0fer, one for them and one for me!

7 Kathy December 4, 2012 at 8:36 am

I agree with the others, I like the one you did and what a great idea in time for the Holiday’s!!! A new gift idea!!

8 Crystelle December 4, 2012 at 9:06 am

WOW!
I had never seen the original at PB, but your s is TOTALLY adorable! I can’t imagine a cuter paper towel holder!
You are so amazing!

Thanks so much for showing us!

hugs x
Crystelle

9 Beth Coburn December 4, 2012 at 9:46 am

Totally agree with all the other comments, yours is much cuter than PB and I’m sure it cost you just a couple of dollars to make. You are quite amazing!

10 Margaret December 4, 2012 at 10:24 am

This looks fabulous, Diane! I actually like yours better than the one from Pottery Barn. I don’t use paper towels myself – I prefer reusable rags, but this would make a great housewarming gift for someone who does. Thanks so much for sharing. This is definitely a keeper idea!

11 Patricia in Denver December 4, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Judging from the comments I’ve read, you out did Pottery Barn, and I agree. Yours is much nicer. Thanks for the idea!

12 Barbara December 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm

My vote is for your version, also. Great idea. Great job!

13 Suzanne December 4, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I originally thought yours was the pottery barn one because I liked it better. Glad to see it was yours!

14 Katharine from Kat's Almost Purrfect World December 4, 2012 at 10:19 pm

This is so clever and practical. Plus your daughter can have memories of cooking with you.

15 Karen December 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Your version is far cuter! I’m definitely changing out my boring marble holder for one of these! Thanks for the great project.

16 Laurie December 9, 2012 at 8:13 am

I totally agree, yours is much better looking. Not only does PB’s fork look weird, but their base looks like they just used some scrap piece of wood without fine tuning it. I think I’m going to try making one myself. I found you on Knock Off Decor. Thanks for sharing.

17 Carla December 13, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Yep I agree with everyone else. I like yours better.
Majority rules. LOL

18 Melisa December 15, 2012 at 1:27 am

Where do you find a wooden fork with a round handle? I have looked all over and not found any, and don’t see any at ikea online (as I do not have an ikea near me). In fact I haven’t found any wooden forks at all. I would love to make this so any cheap sources for them would be most helpful.

19 Lyn December 15, 2012 at 5:24 am

Melisa,
Try factorydirectcraft.com for 12 inch wood spoons and forks.

20 Diane Henkler December 15, 2012 at 10:03 am

HI Lyn – I will have to check the site out. Having longer wooden spoons and forks would make the holder even easier to make. Thanks

21 Diane Henkler December 15, 2012 at 10:09 am

Hi Melisa – Did you see the reply from Lyn. You can find them at factorydirectcraft.com Here is the link: http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=12%22+wooden+spoon&submit.x=16&submit.y=13

22 betty December 5, 2013 at 11:44 am

Wonderful idea for christmas. My hubbie talked me into leaving the dowel 10 inches so you don’t have to go fishing for the hole every time you change towels.

23 Kylie February 15, 2014 at 1:52 am

I would purchase yours over the PB version for sure!! Great knock off!!

24 Debra February 18, 2014 at 8:59 am

Yours is shook much better than the pottery barn one. Oh my I think I will try and make this today. Thanks for.the great tutorial!!!