Paper Valentine Candy Filled Hearts

by Diane Henkler on 01/21/2013

I have something sweet for you today. After redoing the wood file cabinet last week I wanted to make something small and easy. Something that I could do while sitting down and not have to wait for paint to dry.  Since Valentine’s Day is only a few weeks away, I thought I would make something special to give to my family and friends.    I gathered up the decorative paper, gift wrap and scrapbook paper I had in red, pink, and white and got to work while watching Downton Abbey and a few other shows that I DVR’ed.

Valentine-Heart-Candy-Pockets

I made paper Valentine candy filled heart pouches. I saw something like them on Pinterest.  Each one is unique – some are sewn closed on a sewing machine, a few are simply stapled, and I even hand stitched one closed with Baker’s Twine. Doing that one brought back memories of playing with sewing cards as a child and the requirements needed for a few Girl Scout badges.

Crafty-Valentines-Ideas

The magenta heart is stapled closed. I trimmed the edges with scalloped scissors. The pink heart I hand-stitched. The red and white heart -I sewed closed on a machine.

How To Make A Heart Out of Paper

How-to-make-a-paper-heart

The easiest way to make a heart to use as a template is to fold paper in half and draw half of a heart shape along the fold on the paper. Cut out.  Use the cut-out as a template to cut out the rest of the hearts from your decorative paper.   If you can’t draw a straight line, I have included a free download of 2 different hearts for you to use as your template.  The print-out also has the letters – X and O to use as gift tags.

Click here to download:  Heart Template .pdf  -Print it out on card stock to create an easier to trace around template.

How to Make Valentine Candy Filled Hearts

Valentine-Craft-Ideas

Once you have your heart cut out, place it on a folded piece of paper. Trace and cut out.  You will have a front and a back.

How-to-sew-a-paper-candy-heart-pouch

Coordinate your thread to your paper.  With right sides of the paper face out, sew a seam around the heart making sure to leave a 2-inch opening.  You will sew the opening closed once you fill the heart with candy.

Make-a-paper-heart-to-hold-candy

Fill the heart with candy through the opening.

Valentine-Ideas-for-Kids

This is the first one I stitched together – I left the opening at the top of the heart.  After doing this, I decided it was better to keep the opening along one bottom edge of the heart so that any overlapping stitches made when closing up the heart after filling would be less obvious.

Valentine'-Day-Party-Ideas

To close the hand-stitched heart, I used a large-eyed needle and Baker’s Twine. I just poked a hole in the paper as I sewed along the edge.

How-to-paint-staples

For the stapled-closed hearts – paint the top and sides of the staples first and let them dry. This way they will match or coordinate with your paper and will look more decorative.

How-to-make-Valentine-Paper-Candy-Pocket-Hearts

Trim the edges if necessary with regular, pinking, or scalloped scissors.

How-to-make-Paper-Hearts

Embellish with whatever you have on hand – buttons, pipe cleaners, yarn, twine, and ribbon.

How-to-Make-Paper-Candy-Heart-Pouches

You can embellish the hearts even further.

Little Hearts: I Mod Podged a chandelier crystal with an initial and attached it to the center top of the heart with a large jump ring.  See my post on how to do this – here.

Red & White Heart:  I cut out X’ s and O’s from cardstock and tied them on with Baker’s Twine that I threaded through a button first.  Once the letters were tied onto the button, I hot glued the button to the heart.

Red Heart:  The Key to My Heart. I punched two small holes in the top center of the heart and threaded the twine through to tie on a key.

White Heart:  I tied a bow with Rick-Rac and then hot glued it on the heart.

Button-craft-ideas

To tie a gift tag on to the heart – thread twine through a set of buttons.    Bring the buttons together and tie a bow on the top button.

Kids-Valentines

Attach the X and O by piercing the top of each letter with a needle and then threading the ends of the twine from the bow on the button through and knot on the back side of the letters.

Another option:  Punch two holes next to each other horizontally at the top center of the heart. Thread a pipe cleaner or yarn through them and bring the ends to the front of the heart. Thread a gift tag on before tying into a bow.

Valentine-Treat-Ideas

On this heart – I hot glued an earring that lost its mate.

Valentine-Crafts

When the recipient is ready to enjoy their Valentine treats all they have to do is rip the heart open. No pun intended :)

Valentine's-to-Make

Valentine-Party-Ideas

1 Lisa January 21, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Oh, I can’t believe how clever and talented you are! These are so cute!

2 Cindy B January 22, 2013 at 12:21 am

Adorable!!

3 Debbie January 22, 2013 at 12:53 am

Lovely idea!

4 Toni January 22, 2013 at 7:54 am

So Cute, Diane!

5 Lois January 22, 2013 at 8:19 am

You are so VERY clever. I love these ideas. Thanks for sharing!!!

6 debra phillips @ 5th and state January 22, 2013 at 9:31 am

oh my oh my, you are brilliant!!!

was just thinking that i would like to make something for my shop for valentines and this could not be more perfect!!

tried the link to the little hearts and it did not work diane, could you advise?
debra

7 Diane Henkler January 22, 2013 at 9:49 am

Hi Debra – What browser are you using? I just checked the link in the post on two different computers – one using IE and the other Firefox. The link worked on both and opened up the .pdf. Do you have pop-ups blocked or anything like that? Let me know. If you cannot open it. I will email the file to you.

8 Vanessa January 22, 2013 at 9:39 am

Hi, Diane

How lovely are these pouches. I especially love the purple earring. : ) You make the greatest stuff.

Hugs,
Vanessa

9 Marilyn January 22, 2013 at 11:13 am

I was wondering where you found those cute staples that matched your project so nicely, and then saw that you painted them. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

10 betsy January 22, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I did this with my kids – great small project to learn to use the sewing machine!
As for the colored staples – I have seen them in the stores – Hobby Lobby maybe??

11 Diane Henkler January 22, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Hi Betsy – never thought about buying colored staples. They make everything nowadays. I will have to check out Michaels and AC Moore – no Hobby Lobby in my area :(

12 Rebecca January 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm

These are great! The stitched hearts are our favorites!

13 Jean Delp January 22, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Everything you do is just amazing and being a nice person also.

14 Diane Henkler January 22, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Thanks Jean – :) How are you doing? I have not seen you in a while. Miss our lunches and dinners with the BT crew.

15 Renee @ Lattenene Chat January 23, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Diane – what a simple, but great little something to give friends. I;ve got some BFF’s that will love this. Thanks for sharing.

16 Christine January 24, 2013 at 9:22 am

I would love to spend a day with you to see how your brain and hands works!
I am always surprised and excited to see your creations.
These hearts are so cute but really simple. This is a craft that I know I can do and become a hero with my grandchildren.
Thank You!

17 Julia @ FaveCrafts January 24, 2013 at 11:05 am

What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of Valentine’s Day crafts! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/heart-crafts-valentines-day/

Have a great day!

18 Diane Henkler January 24, 2013 at 11:24 am

Thanks Julia I will come over and check out all the other ideas. I love making things for Valentines Day.

19 Katharine from Kat's Almost Purrfect World January 24, 2013 at 2:22 pm

You’ll have to let them know they have candy so they don’t think they are pretty maracas. lol This is a cute idea!

20 Sheryll & Critters. January 25, 2013 at 11:12 am

I did not read my emails for a day or so and somehow missed this…. would have been so sad if I had not ‘found’ it. I can even do this one and I love all of your ideas. I am so wanting to do all of the different stitching and embellishing.

Did I ever tell you that last year I totally botched making the tissure paper flower for the top of my reused Valentine candy canister? I realized my mistakes and am doing much better, but not sure I will EVER be as good as you at making the flowers. I will not give up trying though as I think for me it will take a tadge more practice. I love them so much and I am determined… grin.

21 Cindy January 26, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Love the pouches…made four today for my grandchildren. Thank you for the idea.

22 hi January 28, 2013 at 11:50 pm

oooooooooooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

23 Rachel January 29, 2013 at 11:59 pm

I love these!! And you can sew paper?! I need to get a sewing maching – I feel so left out of the loop, haha. Seriously, though, I want to make these for some of my girlfriends at church!

24 Cindy deRosier January 31, 2013 at 10:13 am

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:

If you have other kid friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

25 Jeannie January 31, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Love the little hearts! Will be making some with my granddaughter who is learning to sew. May I ask if you are sewing on a little Featherweight? I have a “white” one too!

26 Diane Henkler January 31, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Thanks Jeannie. My sewing machine was a hand-me-down from my Mother-in-Law. It is a Singer Slant Needle 301. It is from the mid 1950′s. I love it. It works beautifully. :)

27 Kristen February 4, 2013 at 9:34 pm

These are so cute. What a great idea!

28 giusy February 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm

ma di che tipo di carta ce bisogno?

29 uyoyo November 30, 2013 at 4:14 pm

wow! beautiful

30 seyed vahid January 16, 2014 at 4:30 am

wow! beautiful…………..tank

31 Theresa January 24, 2014 at 10:31 am

Oh my gosh! This is too stinking cute and easy to make. I love all of the photos and great tutorial. You are amazing and thanks for sharing this with all of us. Yipee…Happy Valentine’s Day to you!

32 Victoria February 6, 2014 at 4:12 pm
33 Jeanine February 12, 2014 at 8:49 am

I just made a bunch of these with the youngster & boys i babysit. So we sealed sides with Alenes Glue, used recycled thick paper, & decorated kids version! It was so much fun! I was hoping I would be able to do these myself one day, & You have the PERFECT tutorial & most gorgeously colored finish.