DIY Christmas Decorations: Pipe Cleaner Garland

by Diane Henkler on 11/15/2013

Sparkly-and-Fun-Holiday-Garland-to-Make

When I was at Michaels a few weeks ago to buy items to decorate my Dream Tree Challenge tree, I saw these garlands for sale.  They were red, green, and white.

photo (9)

I loved the sparkly look, but passed them by because the tree I was decorating was for my dining room décor where the color scheme is white and turquoise.

chenille pipe cleaners

It was not until I was over in the kids crafting aisle that I saw the wall of “Chenille Stems” in every color imaginable. That is when I got the idea to make my own DIY Christmas Decorations using pipe cleaner. I could use my color specs to loop them together just like the red and green garlands I passed by over in the Christmas aisle.

Pipe-Cleaner-Christmas-Tree-Garland-silver-and-white

I made mine using silver & shimmery white chenille pipe cleaners or chenille stems as some of the packages were marked.

Pipe-Cleaner-Christmas-Garland-tutorial

As well as 3 shades of turquoise & shimmery white.

Pipe-Cleaner-Christmas-Tree-Garland

Does anyone know when colorful pipe cleaners became Chenille Stems?  I missed that memo.

Christmas-Garlands-to-make

Whatever you want to call them, they are fun little pieces of wire and fiber that can be made into many different things. One of my most popular posts -No Slip Hangers was created using them.

Christmas-Tree-Decorating-Ideas

I am a fan of tree garland and think every tree looks better when something is wrapped or draped stylishly around the tree.

These pipe cleaner garlands are easy to make, festive, and fun holiday décor that can be draped not only over trees, but:

• over frames
  • mantels
  • staircases
  • chairs
  • doorways
  • where ever you want!

Christmas-Tree-Decorating-Ideas-Pipe-Cleaner-Garland

I made my garland while in a waiting room last week when I took my dad for scans and tests. It was so easy to make that even your kids could make their own.

As I made each loop and the garland got longer, I kept it in a tote bag by the side of the chair I was sitting in.   It was quite the conversation starter. Nurses, techs, and patients all wanted to see what I was making and asked how to do it. I think I picked up a few new readers and I gave out quite a few business cards.

Most garlands sold are 9ft, but since you are making your own, you can make it one long chain or make separate chains of various lengths to place on your tree.  A short one to go around the top of the tree, the longest to go around the bottom or widest part.

supplies needed:

Chenille pipe cleaners – for the 7 ft. tall tree, I used 4 packs that = 100 pipe cleaners | Wire cutters

supplies-needed-to-make-pipe-cleaner-Christmas-Tree-Garland

1. Cut each chenille pipe cleaner in half with wire cutters.  If you want large loops – don’t cut in half – make the loops with the whole pipe cleaner.

Christmas-tree-crafts

2. Make a circle shape with one of the cut stems and twist the ends together. Use your fingers to flatten the twisted ends so they don’t stick out.

3. Take another cut stick and put one end of it through the first circle.  Then twist the ends as in step #2.

4. Repeat the process until you have the length garland you need.

More DIY Christmas Garland Ideas:

Garland Ideas

Pin It

1 Debbie November 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

I always have a Thanksgiving craft project for the kids in attendance (we are up to 8, none mine) for after dinner when the grow ups break into football watching and chatting around the table groups. This will be one of this years crafts. Thanks!

2 Diane Henkler November 15, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Hi Deb – That will be fun – so many colors to choose from. You can have a contest to see who can make the longest garland. :)

3 Liz November 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I love these! We are Jewish and celebrate Hanukkah. I am always looking for decorating ideas, but as you can imagine, there are not many options (there are only so many ways to dress up a Menorah, a dreidel or a Star of David). These are wonderful because they can be customized (ironically in colors similar to the ones you used)and would add some sparkle to this year’s Hanukkah party. Thank you!

4 Nana Diana November 15, 2013 at 4:15 pm

THAT is a very cute idea- One I will use with the grandkids-xo Diana

5 Dawn November 15, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I love this idea! Very cute and I love your turquoise color scheme, so pretty!!

6 Amanda Michelle November 15, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Cute idea! I always love your posts. :)

7 Pegy November 16, 2013 at 10:49 am

Love the garlands and how awesome to be able to coordinate with whatever color decor you want. Pipe cleaners became chenille stems many years ago when they were used in the floral industry [we use them in hollow stems to provide a water source] and now in the craft market. Not to many folks cleaning pipes with them anymore and for sure the synthetic fiber would resist the cleaning process!!! Fun post!

8 Diane Henkler November 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Hi Pegy – That makes sense that the floral industry had its own name for them. Thanks for taking the time to tell me. XO

9 Cathy November 16, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Hi,
I’m with you – missed the memo changing from pipe cleaners to chenille stems.
Enjoy your thanksgiving our’s (Canada’s) was in October.
Cathy

10 Leena Lanteigne November 17, 2013 at 2:25 am

How cute! My little grand babes would love making these for their Christmas tree in the family room! I love to do little projects like this with them – thank you for the inspiration! Hugs, Leena

11 Erika November 18, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I’d like to know when ponytail holders become hair ties :)
Thanks for another great idea.

12 Sheryll & Critters. November 30, 2013 at 6:43 am

I missed that memo as well. I already did the pipe cleaners on some of my clothes hangers and that is the best.

I want to do these garlands as well. I like that this is something a bit more safe for me to use with my kitty kats and just beautiful too.