How to make a set of desk top organizers using items from your recycling bin.
This desk set organizer is one of my favorite types of projects – one that re-purposes, recycles, and reuses odds and ends we have sitting around our homes taking up space in their boring original states.
I tried to take what I learned at summer camp a long, long, time ago and make the basic project a bit more stylish, worthy enough to sit on my desk.
How to Make Desk Top Organizers
Letter Organizer: I made the letter organizer by using 3 video tape sleeves.
If you can still find any of these video sleeves laying around your house or perhaps at your local thrift store you will need at least 3. You can use more, depending on how many sections you want your organizer to have. You want to use the same type of sleeves as they have different notches along the edge.
- Video Sleeves
- Tacky Glue and sponge brush to apply it evenly
- Decorative Gift-wrap
- Self-laminating sheets
- Ribbon, enough to weave through the top edge and to tie into a bow
- 4 Large beads
- Hot Glue
1. Line up the notches on the video tape sleeves and glue them together with tacky glue. Let dry.
2. Measure a piece of gift-wrap, wallpaper, or decorative paper large enough to wrap around the glued together video sleeves. Laminate the paper with a sheet of clear self lamination.
3. Brush tacky glue all over outside surface of the video sleeves. Wrap paper around as you would a gift. Trim along top edge.
4. Using a hole punch, punch a hole around top edge every inch. Start in the front and work to each side around to one of the back corners. This way if the holes are not evenly spaced when they meet it will be in a corner and less obvious.
5. Find the center of your length of ribbon. Starting from a back hole weave the ends around top edge in and out thorough the holes, one end going to the left the other to the right until they meet in the center front. Bring the ribbon to front through the same hole and tie ends in bow.
6. Hot glue 4 decorative beads onto the bottom.
The finished desk organizer.
How to Make Pencil and Pen Holder:
For the pencil holder I used an orange juice can.
- Follow the same steps used to cover the video sleeves above to cover an orange juice can.
- Punch the holes and weave the ribbon in the same way.
- If you don’t want a bow, just bring the ends into the inside of the can and tie into a knot.
- Cut excess ribbon.
Hot glue the beads to the bottom of the can and you are done.