How to Make a No Sew Fabric Cushion Cover For a Piano Bench Without Sewing
Making a no sew cushion cover is one of the easiest DIY home accents you can make to decorate your home in your own style. I have made many. I made long cushion no sew covers for my kitchen banquette and striped no sew cushion cover for a porch swing.
Piano Bench – Before
Since both the piano and bench are both the same dark brown, I wanted to add some color.
Piano Bench Cover – After
Looks much better now.
How To Make a No Sew Fabric Covered Cushion Cover for a Bench
1. Remove the top of the bench. I left the hinges on the bench. I just removed the screws from the top. No need to make more work for yourself.
2. I added 3 layers on top of the lid. Foam that I cut from an old mattress egg crate, white fabric, and the orange fabric. I bought the fabric at JoAnn’s. It is called –Fun Floret by Waverly. Normally I would use quilt batting between the foam and the fabric, but I didn’t have any. This layer softens the edges of the foam when the fabric is wrapped around it.
TIP: Foam can be costly. I buy it only when it is 50% at JoAnn’s Fabrics You don’t even need to buy expensive foam – an old egg crate mattress pad can be re-purposed and cut to size. Cut a few pieces of the mattress egg crate to size and layer the pieces on top of each other to create the height cushion you want. A little hot glue between the layers will hold the layers together.
3. Flip it all over and start stapling the fabric to the lid using a staple gun.
4. First the white lining.
5. Cut the corners as shown. You don’t want to add too much bulk to the corners.
6. Then staple the fabric on. I fold the raw edge of the fabric over so it looks nice and neat. You want to pull taut, but not too tight or you may mis-shape the foam.
7. Fold the fabric on the corners like you were gift-wrapping a package. Staple to secure.
8. I simply cut away the fabric around the area where the hinges would go.
9. Before you start stapling, make sure if there is a pattern on your fabric that it is centered and aligned.
10. Then reattach the lid to the bench.