Up the cozy factor in any room by adding an inexpensive dimmer switch socket to any table lamp or floor lamp – no electrical skills needed!
The right kind of light can change the way any room in your home feels.
Now with the holidays coming, did you know you can have the option to make any room feel cozy one night with the soft glow of a dimmed lamp to another night of needing the same lamp brightly lit to read, do hobbies or play games?
In my house, I like every wall switch to have a dimmer switch wired to an outlet. Any lamp that gets plugged into these outlets becomes controlled by a wall switch. Dimmable by turning or sliding a dial on the wall switch.
Wall dimmer switches are common in the dining rooms of most homes so a chandelier over the table can be dimmed when entertaining.
But what about lamps not near an outlet that has been wired to do this?
Did you know even an existing lamp you have can become dimmable without the need of an electrician or connected to a wall switch? All that is needed is a small tweak to the fixture’s socket.
I added one to this floor lamp.
I also added the same style socket dimmer to the table lamp I recently makeover.
Having the option to dim both these lamps in my living room, allows me to up the cozy factor.
Dimmed lamps is the best light for watching TV, to enjoy candle glow and for sitting by a fire in the fireplace while snuggled under a comfy throw.
Think how nice it would be to dim any lamp when you don’t need it to be bright all the time.
Dimmers on lamps = instant room ambiance!
Can You Make Any Lamp Dimmable?
Making a lamp dimmable is an easy process.
There are 4 types of dimmers you can use to dim any lamp.
Most of these dimmer sockets will work with any standard incandescent bulbs up to 150 watts. For LED bulbs – you may need specialized dimmers.
1. Replacement dimmer socket – no electrical knowledge needed. Simple change-out of the lamp socket. This is my go-to. See how-to video below.
2. Screw in Dimmer Socket – These are the fastest and easiest dimmer sockets to add to a lamp. No tools needed.
- The downfall is most of these are made of plastic and are wide which may interfere with the lampshade harp.
- They also add about 1 and 1/4 inch to the height of the bulb. If using a shade that is connected to the bulb, the shade may become too high from the lamp base and not look in proportion.
3. Corded plug-in dimmer switch. These are easy to plug-in, but you will have a separate switch and cord hanging from the lamp. Too many cords to deal with.
4. Wired in the wall dimmer that is connected to a ceiling mounted fixture and controlled by a light switch.
These can also be wired to an outlet so that a lamp with a dial control that is plugged in the outlet can be dimmed. Electrical knowledge is needed.
Adding any of these to a room will add “instant cozy” to any space with the turn of a knob.
How to Install a Dimmer Socket on a Table Lamp or Floor Lamp
Always remember to unplug your lamp before changing out the socket.
To view the above video, click the arrow in the center.
Now that the holidays are coming, having the ability to dim any lamp will make the room where you have your Christmas tree set up, look even more magical. :-)
No Dimmers in a Room? When you don’t have a dimmer on a lamp and want to add the cozy dimmed light feeling to a space, use one or more 15 watt lightbulbs to simulate candlelight. Works like magic when you don’t have a dimmer switch or socket on your light fixtures and lamps.
Do you have dimmers on your light fixtures and lamps?