I have a recipe for you today. A Christmas cookie recipe – Pecan Cherry Cookies to be exact, and boy are they good… and dunkable!
Do you know what time it is? It is holiday the holiday season which means means one thing – time to bake – bake Christmas cookies.
This year I have decided – refrigerator cookies are just my style and got the recipe from a friend. They are homemade and delicious, but don’t require a lot of time and fuss.
My family loves these cookies dunked in a tall glass of cold milk. They have become a holiday staple in my house.
I tweaked the recipe a little by rolling them in sanding sugar before baking instead of rolling in powered sugar after baking – they are just as good and dunkable either way.
- Sanding sugar is the colored sugar used to embellish baked goods. It comes in lots of different colors. I used clear/white. You can buy it at any grocery store in basic colors. There is a store near me that sells it in every imaginable color and different size granule’s.
How to Make Pecan Cherry Dunkers
- Gather the ingredients: 1 cup butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 egg, 1 tsp. vanilla, 2 ¼ cups flour, 1 cup chopped pecans, 2 cups candied cherries, 2 cups sanding sugar.
2. Cream the butter and sugar.
3. Add the egg, flour, and vanilla.
4. Add the pecans and cherries.
5. Cut dough into thirds and roll each into a log. Cover with wax paper and refrigerate for 3 hours.
6. Once chilled, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Roll the edges or entire slice into sanding sugar.
7. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes on the middle oven rack.
A Plateful of Pecan Cherry Cookies Just in Time for Christmas
Now, I just have to hide them so they are not eaten before the cookie exchange party.
Pecan Cherry Dunking Cookie Recipe
These cookies are so easy to make – mix all the ingredients and then roll into logs and refrigerate. When chilled, all that is left to do is slice and bake. Cut them about ¼” thick – perfect for dunking into a cold glass of milk or hot coffee or tea.
Pecan Cherry Dunking Cookies
- cookie sheets
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 2 cups candied cherries
- 2 cups sugar sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add flour, mix well. Stir in nuts and
- Divide dough into thirds. Roll each third into a 10-inch long log. Roll each log in
wax paper. Chill for 3 hours.
- Cut into ¼-inch thick slices. Roll edges or entire cookies into
- Bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes.
Delicious Christmas cookies, perhaps some delicious eggnog, what’s missing? How about some Christmas decorating inspiration?