Today is all about decorating in your personal style.
I fine-tuned my signature style over the course of many years. I learned that decorating is all about editing – lots of it until you are left only with what you truly, truly love.
It doesn’t matter if no one else gets it – you only need to listen to your instincts and have confidence in your choices. It is like finding your happily ever after.
Once you have defined your decorating style, the best compliment anyone can give you is when they say…“that is so YOU!”
My Signature Decorating Style
- Baskets – I have been collecting all sizes of square and round baskets since I was in high school. I use them to organize little things in drawers and big things on the floor like throws, pillows, and pet toys. I recently even made an ice cooler out of one.
- Lots of White – I have experimented with many paint colors, but know that I like my spaces light and bright so that whatever I bring into the room I never have to worry if it matches. Most of the walls in my home are white with the exception of my bedroom, foyer and dining room. The foyer and dining room both will be sporting white walls soon, too. I use white slipcovers in my family room, white dishes, serving ware, and sheets. If I am at a loss as to what color to paint an item – I know I will not go wrong with white.
- Vintage – I like old pieces or items that bring back a fond memory. I am not into collecting it, but if something makes me smile and I get that happy nostalgic feel – then I want to add it to the mix. A pink princess phone on my bedside table is a perfect example of this.
- Flowers – Purple/Pink hydrangeas and pink peonies are my signature flowers. I wish I could have them in my home all year long, but I don’t have the budget for that. I search high and low for high quality fakes that I can place in vases and urns to enjoy the fresh happy color all year long.
- Comfort First – If it is in my house and needs to be sat or laid upon – I make sure it is comfy before adding it to my decor.
- Fresh Color – Even though I like lots of white, the only way white in my mind looks good is when it is paired with lots of colorful decorative accessories.
- White Slipcovers – Some think these are a trend. I beg to differ. I will always want white slipcovers for my seating or at least one piece of it in a room. They add a casual, but put together look without being too traditional looking. Plus, they are so easy to care for. When something spills – you simply throw them in the washer. When you place them back on slightly damp from the dryer – they end up wrinkle free when fully dried.
- Stripped Furniture – This is something that is fairly new for my style. I have a lot of hand-me-down furniture. I used to paint all of it, since I was never a fan of stain – too brown. Two years ago I started seeing stripped and salvaged wood furniture without any stain at all at furniture showrooms. I loved the look and knew I could do the same on a few pieces I had. I will admit stripping furniture is a messy job, but has been well worth the time and effort. I like the look of it for the same reason I like white slipcovers. It makes traditional pieces more casual looking. I like casual and do not have anything too formal in my house.
- Pretty Storage – I don’t like to see lots of clutter. Having decorative ways to store items on shelves and in drawers adds order.
- Painted Furniture – I started painting furniture when I was first married as a necessity to transform all the hand-me-downs I had been given. Over the years I began to enjoy the process and loved the look of the brightly painted pieces amongst my other furnishings. They added visual interest to the room and became my statement pieces.
- Unadorned Windows – I like to see outside and most of my windows have no curtains or draperies. When I need privacy or to shield the sun, I simply add a white roller shade to the window. In my dining room and guest room, I do have white drapery panels, but they are set off the windows so they are not blocking the view.
- Seagrass Rugs – I love the neutral texture they add to a room and the feel of it on my bare feet. They also are easy to care for which I love since I don’t want anything in my home that requires too much upkeep.
I hope you enjoyed a round up of the items that make up my signature style. I can’t say my style fits into any category… that is the best thing about decorating with personal style…when you put things you love together…they just do – go together… like it was meant to be.