DIY Kitchen Makeover

by Diane Henkler on 01/07/2010

This post is for anyone who hates their kitchen cabinets and is thinking of doing a DIY Kitchen Makeover and transforming the cabinets with paint. I could have named this post:  How to add molding easily to stock cabinets and how to paint cabinets to look like new.

The size of the kitchen is 13′ x 20′. The island is 26″ x 62″

How-To Paint Kitchen Cabinets and How-to Install No-Miter Molding without fear.

When I moved into my house these oak cabinets didn’t quite float my boat, but I knew that we couldn’t afford to get the kitchen re-done, so I lived with them.(Sorry this is the only “before” shot I could find of my kitchen)
Fast forward a few years – I just could not look at them anymore. I had successfully painted many pieces of furniture and knew I could paint the cabinets; it would just take a little longer than just re-doing one piece of furniture.
These cabinets have wood doors and fronts, but the sides are made of laminate to look like oak and were slightly lighter in color. The sides were also recessed from the front, which left the perfect amount of space to add bead board to the sides without having to add finishing trim.

Before

I wanted them to look as professionally done as possible so I took a trip to Home Depot to investigate how I could add some detail to the cabinets themselves and found No-Miter molding.  The sign said – professional results, eliminating the need for miter cuts. Specifically designed to highlight corners and turns, which was perfect as I wanted to highlight my center island.

The possibility of having decorative molding in my kitchen was becoming a reality.  I had a simple table saw and this was something I knew I could handle by myself without the help of my husband or a contractor.

So I bought myself some decorative baseboard, decorative corners, bead board panels in two different styles, wide (Pickwick Pattern) and the narrow (traditional). I didn’t stop there – I had seen in many magazines, cabinets that had feet like a piece of furniture. I wanted that look. I can be quite resourceful when I really want something and found that pine shelf brackets sold in craft stores very inexpensively would work perfectly if I cut them to the correct height to fit under the cabinets at each corner to resemble feet.

I was thrilled with all my efforts. The photo below was taken recently, but I painted the cabinets 10 years ago and they still look good. I had to touch up the cabinets under the sink, as they get the most wear.

If you decide to do this the best advice I can give to you is – take your time and do it right. It took me 3 weeks.  I worked a section at a time so we could still use the kitchen.  I took the doors off and painted them on sawhorses set up in my basement. All the other work I did right in the kitchen. Get a really good 1” angled brush; it is worth it to buy the best one.  I use Purdy brushes.

When you are finished you can really be proud and say:  I did it myself!

DIY Kitchen makeover

How to paint kitchen cabinets

This photo shows the original cabinet, the new side with molding and paint, and attached shelf bracket

How to make Feet for Cabinets

. How to make kitchen cabinets look custom

Same cabinet After

Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Before

Painted Kitchen Cabinets

After

How to paint kitchen cabinets

I did not paint the inside of the cabinets, but I did paint both sides of the doors and a half inch strip inside – along the cabinet opening as you can see in this photo.

How to paint a kitchen cabinet door

Kitchen Cabinet Painting Tutorial

I bought all of my supplies at The Home Depot except for the shelf brackets which I got at AC Moore.

Gather:

Ornamental Moldings
Rope Acordonada Baseboard 3/8” x 4
Decorative Outside Corner Molding
Decorative Inside Corner Molding
Pine Planking Bead board
Pine Shelf Brackets, one for each foot
Glidden Gripping Primer
Sherwin Williams Semi-gloss latex in Antique White
Saw/Electric Saw/or a Table Saw
Electric Sander and med grit sandpaper
Tack cloth
Screwdriver
Small Foam paint roller with rounded end
1” angle brush
Paint-able silicone caulk

How to Add No-Miter Molding

1. Cut bead board to height of section you want to cover. Starting at one end of each section – glue each tongue and groove piece on with Liquid Nails. The last piece you may have to cut width-wise in order to fit the space. Make sure as you place each section in that they are straight. You may need to add a finishing nail in some areas. I needed only a few.

2. Measure length of cabinet base for baseboard. Make sure to leave enough room for the corner pieces to fit.  (Each corner piece has a notch cut into it so that it fits right at the corner. Cut baseboard to size and attach with liquid nails, then attach the corner pieces.

3. Apply a bead of caulk along all seams and junctions between bead board and the baseboard. This will make the pieces look like they are one. Lightly go over the caulk with a wet finger tip to smooth. Let dry.

Aisle in Home Depot

Home-Depot-Molding-ARea

Moldings and Shelf Bracket

All-supplies-o-and-labeled

Bead board Planking

Planking-2

Bead board Planking, Primed

Planking

How to Paint The Cabinets

I used Glidden – Gripper primer and Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Semi-Gloss paint in Antique White.

1. Remove doors and all hardware. Lightly sand doors and cabinet fronts. Clean off thoroughly with a tack cloth.

2. Apply a light coat of gripping primer with the small foam roller, let dry, add one more coat, let dry. If you have recessed framed cabinets use an angled brush to paint the recessed sections.  ( If you see any paint ridges – sand with fine grit sandpaper in bewtween coats and then clean off with a tack cloth.)

3. Apply two coats of latex paint. Let dry between each coat. If you need more coverage, paint another coat, but keep each coat light.

4. When dry – hang the doors back on.

Gripper-Primer for Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Related Posts

How to Make a Kitchen Banquette

Kitchen Cabinet Painting:  Round 2

Pin It

1 Sandra January 7, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Beautiful work it looks like a professional did the work…hurrah for you!

2 asnipofgoodness January 7, 2010 at 11:36 pm

That looks SOOOOOO great! You should be so proud, I am very impressed! Thanks for sharing!

3 Amanda January 7, 2010 at 11:38 pm

This is absolutely stunning! You did a really beautiful job. Kudos to you for taking the time to do this the right way. Gorgeous.

4 Vanessa January 7, 2010 at 11:59 pm

It looks amazing! I am itching to paint my plain oak cabinets. I’ve heard that oil based primer is the best to use, but I really don’t want to mess with it! I also want to put beadboard on the ends of the cabinets. I’m thinking of using the wallpaper kind. Thanks for all the inspiration!

5 Stephanie January 8, 2010 at 12:14 am

Are you kidding me?!?! That looks Fantastic!!! Great job!!!

6 Mary January 8, 2010 at 12:20 am

I soooo wish I had wood cabinets to paint pretty like this- mine are 50s metal!

7 Maryann January 8, 2010 at 1:32 am

WOW! Love it… You encourage me to paint my cabinets. I’ve got a Power of Paint Party on Wednesdays. I’d love for you to link up your kitchen

8 Jane January 8, 2010 at 2:20 am

I am pretty much speechless! That totally looks like the pros came in and took over! The stencil on the floor is such a sweet touch. The basket shelf! The beadboard…OK so I am not speechless! Awesome, amazing job!

9 Treasia Stepp January 8, 2010 at 6:47 am

It looks fantastic. I love the basket shelf and the stenciling around the island is awesome. Well done.

10 Diane at InMyOwnStyle January 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Hi Everyone- Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I had stenciled the floor a few years before I painted the cabinets. The kitchen floor is in dire need of refinishing and when that happens the stencil will be gone. I found the baskets for the shelves at TJ Maxx. They fit perfectly into the shelves, but it took me 9 months of going around to many TJ Maxx stores to accumulate 6. It was worth the time and effort. When I move from this house, those baskets are coming with me.

11 Cassie January 8, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Wow! Great transformation….good for you!

12 EncoreBride January 9, 2010 at 8:59 am

That’s a wonderful makeover, great job, I have white cabinets but they are laminates so I will probably have to replace them, urgh! Found you via SITS, Happy SITS Saturday!

13 Feeling Fit With Dana January 9, 2010 at 9:04 am

Wow, that looks so much better! Congrats on a GREAT job! Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

14 Lou Cinda January 9, 2010 at 9:29 am

This looks fabulous! You did an awesome job! I am gearing up to paint my OAK cabinets too! You have inspired me to GO FORTH!!

Just found your blog and I LOVE it! I am a follower and I will be back!

Lou Cinda :)

15 JDaniel4's Mom January 9, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I now have kitchen envy! Stopping by from SITS!

16 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions January 9, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Great job! I love the Antique White.

17 Cha Cha January 9, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Great job, Hubby and I did ours together this summer and it was killer work. I know you worked hard. It looks great, I love the painting on the floor.
Cha Cha

18 Prior January 9, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Love the white, bright, clean look… Your floors are great… Lezlee

19 Funky Junk Interiors January 10, 2010 at 5:06 am

Outstanding. Really. The smallest of touches always seem to make the biggest impact. Gorgeous kitchen!

Thanks for linking up to SNS!

FJ Donna

20 BARBARA January 10, 2010 at 11:06 am

Love what you did. I have the same oak cabinets and would LOVE to paint them but can’t (I’m renting) but I dream nonetheless!

21 beth January 10, 2010 at 11:36 am

That looks gorgeous! You did a fantastic job!! :)

22 Cheryl January 10, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Great cabinets makeover and great directions and pics on sharing with others how to do this. i would of never thought of the shelf bracket idea.

23 Mandi January 11, 2010 at 12:01 am

I adore the beadboard! Okay you’ve talked me into it– I thought my island needed a face lift so I’ll do it (as soon as I finish all 100 other projects) ;)

24 Michelle January 11, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Wow! You did an amazing job. Love the beadboard, just put it my kitchen update too- you can’t mess with classic cottage elements. Thanks for all the directions.

25 Linda@Coastal Charm January 11, 2010 at 11:44 pm

What an AWESOME job you did all by yourself on your kitchen…looks outstanding!

Blessings,
Linda

26 Maryann January 14, 2010 at 12:47 am

GO YOU! You did an amazing job! Your kitchen inspires me to do my kitchen… sooner than later! Thanks for joining the Power of Paint Party!

27 Diane January 14, 2010 at 9:08 am

I love the basket shelves. Your kitchen is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

28 Kirsty January 15, 2010 at 8:38 pm

The kitchen looks amazing. But what impressed me most (besides that you did it yourself) the description and the blog post was fantastic. So detailed and perfect! You deserve an award!

Great job!

29 Joyce January 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Oh WOW that looks awesome. I especially love the one with the baskets, so very cute!

30 Stephanie January 17, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I lOVE your stenciled floors! And thanks for the comment about the candlesticks :) You are a true talent indeed! LOTS of good ideas

31 Roxanne January 18, 2010 at 8:32 am

Past amazing!! Pat yourself on the back girlfriend. What a feeling of accomplishment!
Blessings
Roxanne

32 Ann January 19, 2010 at 10:54 pm

You are brilliant!!! Great job. You should be very proud of yourself.

33 Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 20, 2010 at 9:39 am

I’m so impressed by your diy skills! Thanks for the major dose of inspiration :).

34 Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 21, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I’m drooling over your stove! It really makes me want to take the plunge on my refrigerator!! Browsing for good deals never hurts, right?

35 Fawn January 31, 2010 at 9:55 pm

OMG! I’m in love. GREAT JOB. It is beautiful. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

36 Trish February 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Your kitchen looks wonderful! You are really talented. Did you seal, poly, or anything over the painted cabinets?

37 Amanda October 9, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Wow! looking at your kitchen, I would swear you were a contractor. It turned out amazing! My sister is redoing her kitchen and I am going to send her your link.
You are so talented and I love your blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog too and leaving a nice comment about my Paris apt. accessories :)

38 cynthia November 12, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I am so excited! I really can not stand my kitchen cabinets…i also painted my top kitchen cabinets white but they are really missing detailing or something. My house was really dark when we moved in…dark wood panel and dark kitchen cabinets…it felt like a dungeon. I painted the walls a light grey and some of the kitchen- but it is those little details that make a room look completed. What a wonderful job you did! I would really like to cut squares and put plexiglass in the doors – but that is a daunting task at this point. Nonetheless, i have been inspired…thank you!

39 lois December 10, 2010 at 11:26 am

I also painted all of my cabinet doors in the kitchen with the help of my husband . (No arguements either for the duration of the one month project!) We painted both sides of each door. The one step we did that wasn’t mentioned here is we washed them all down with a powerful degreaser (fingerprints and cooking grease, etc.)

It took us one month. We used the top of the line benejamin moore paint and I think that made a difference.

Tip: As we took the door and drawer fronts off, we labeled the hinges that went with each piece. These hinges allowed us to make all sorts of minor adjustments to keep the doors straight, etc. and we didn’t want to re adjust all of the doors. Putting the smae hinges back on eliminated that step.

40 Diane December 10, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Hi Lois -

Thanks so much for mentioning the tip about marking the hinges. I do mark mine, too. I learned to to this the hard way – took the doors off of a piece I was re-doing all excited to get it done, only to find none of my door hung straight when I put them back on. Ya live, ya learn. It takes a bit of time in the begining of the re-do, but pays big time in the end. I recently posted about a a hutch I re-did and showed how I mark the hinges.

41 Lois December 11, 2010 at 7:07 am

****just remembered: the powerful cleaning agent was TSP. Amazing cleaning job!****

42 Diane December 12, 2010 at 9:38 am

Hi Lois-
TSP is the best for prep work. I haven’t used it in a while, but remember using it to clean walls before we wallpapered them. It is one of those no frills “classic” products that is inexpensive and works super well. Thanks for sharing the info.

43 steph March 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Love it, I will be painting my cabinets very soon and i’ve been looking for different tips. Thanks, Did you use a paint sprayer at all ?

44 Cindy April 9, 2011 at 10:07 am

I have 70′s dark wood cabinets. They’re sturdy but really, really ugly. I’d love to paint them as well but would LOVE to hear your tips for making them look as good as yours – they look as thought they were professionally painted or entirely new cabinets.

45 Cindy April 9, 2011 at 10:08 am

46 Handy Man, Crafty Woman May 8, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Such a great post. Thanks for sharing all the info! We painted our kitchen cabinets white, too. They look SO much better! I think we had similar cabinets; ours had laminate on the sides (!?!?), we put up beadboard, too.

47 Diane May 9, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Hi Laurie-
Painting my kitchen cabinets was one of the best things I ever did to make my house look and feel more to my style. I am sure you feel the same way about doing it to yours, too.
I now want to take on two big corner cabinets in my family room that I want to paint white so they look built in. It has been 17 years – I think I need to just do it. I may use Chalk paint as you don’t have to sand or prime first. I will keep you posted. Thanks for leaving me the comment.

48 Linda Palmer May 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I cannot believe you did all this yourself! congratulations! And I love everything. I have to design a kitchen for our old Victorian house and think this would be perfect. Love the floor stenciling. Your use of the shelf brackets is so creative. Thank you!

49 Diane May 26, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Hi Linda-

Thanks. Redoing the kitchen was one of those projects that I wished I had done sooner. It has held up great and I would do it all over again. I wanted to have the built in furniture look for the cabinets and knew I could not afford new ones – so I improvised with the shelf brackets. No one ever knows until I tell them. I hope you enjoy designing the kitchen.

50 Jen June 2, 2011 at 2:06 am

This is so inspiring! I’ve been dying to paint my cabinets for 5 years, but I’ve hesitated because I wasn’t sure it would come out well. Looking at your results, I know it can be done!

This seems like a silly question, but I have to ask…did you paint the inside of the cabinets as well? I kind of assume a person would, but I don’t want to make it harder on myself than I have to! :)

51 Diane June 3, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Hi Jen-

Good question. I did not paint the inside of the cabinets, but I did paint both sides of the doors. I will post a photo on the post later today so you can see how it looks. I do have one corner cabinet with a glass door. That cabinet got painted inside as you can see inside.

52 Diane June 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Hi Again Jen-

I just added the photos on the DIY Kitchen post so you can get a visual. :)

53 Sarah June 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Your kitchen is beautiful! Would you mind sharing the name of the wall color?

54 Diane June 12, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Hi Sarah

The walls are Sherwin Williams Natural Choice. The cabinets are Antique White.

55 Jill June 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I can’t remember if I’ve already commented…but wow! You’re a DYI-er after my own heart! Just my style :) I, too, painted my kitchen cabinets…glorious white :)

56 Diane June 11, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Hi Jill – I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who sometimes can’t remember if I left a comment on a blog or not. Very funny, but so true when blog hopping. Yes, you did, but you can leave me as many as you like. :)

57 Margie Sharp August 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm

OMW! I am so glad I found your web-site. I am going to copy so many of your ideas! We are redoing our oak kitchen cabinets and purchased a new Rustoleum product that is as easy to use as paint but has the look of stain. I think I’m going to redo our carpeted stairs with the Rustoleum product (copying the stair project you did) and paint my cabinets white. I can’t believe the before and afters pictures of your house. I kind of dismissed your blog as a ‘rich girl-already has a super nice house-blog’ until I saw your before pictures. I have your ‘before’ house and am looking forward to using some of your ideas to get my house looking ‘super nice’!! Thanks!!

58 Margie Sharp August 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm

PS: I love how you put product names and pictures!! It is so frustrating to find all kinds of good ideas but no idea on how to find the products mentioned. Thanks again!!

59 Lisa September 6, 2011 at 11:04 am

WOW! God has truly gifted you with amazing abilities. I love your ideas they are AWESOME!

60 Lisa G September 8, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I have been wanting to paint my cabinets for some time but was worried about a white refrigerator with antique white cabinets. I just couldn’t visualize it but you have done it and it looks great! Thanks for the inspiration. Now…..how to talk the hubby into helping!!

61 Kathryn Griffin October 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Wow! What a transformation!!! Absolutely beautiful!!! Visiting from DIY Showoff. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/07/kitchen-cabinet-transformation.html

62 Roeshel October 12, 2011 at 8:35 am

It’s gorgeous! What a beautiful transformation. It doesn’t look like the same kitchen! Thanks for the tip and info on the non mitered trim. I’ve never seen it before – what a great idea (I have a kitchen island to build)!

Thanks so much for sharing your hard work and amazing results in the Roomspiration Kitchen party! :)

Roeshel

63 Erica October 30, 2011 at 2:17 am

a-maze-balls! i love love love the all white kitchen! you have my dream kitchen! great job too!

64 LouAnn December 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Hi – I love what you did to your kitchen!!! I have oak cabinets, but they are “pickled” or frosted some call them. Anyway it made them almost a pink color and I hate them. We’ve lived here 10 years and I’ve been chicken to change. Because… I also have white appliances. And I kept wondering what “white” would look like with white appliances. Your cabinets look a little bit off white, but it still looks good with the appliances! What color and brand paint did you use? Oh – and I LOVE the custom look you gave with the extra details! Fabulous work!

65 Wilson of Elite Crete Australia May 3, 2012 at 8:09 am

beautiful kitchen! and the flooring is amazing! nice taste you’ve got there.

66 Amie May 23, 2012 at 4:38 am

I am a bit late with a comment, but felt the need to say how great your kitchen turned out!
My hubby and I have done many DIYs around the house. We live in my childhood home, and my dad actually built it himself in the early 60′s with his brother and brother in laws, and my older brothers who were teens at the time. Anyway, dad was a salesman at the time for a company that made wood paneling. Every room in the house has a type of wood paneling he sold, and boy was he proud of it all! There is no drywall under the paneling, just plywood underneath. Both my mom and dad have passed away now.
Well, by hubby and I have primed and painted each room with the exeption of the kitchen. I have had so many emotions with each room we redid, the kitchen I know will bring up more because all the time spent with my mom in there, who was a great cook. All the projects we did together, all the homework at the table!!! I see now I have been holding onto the kitchen, but it’s time to move on.
But I gotta say, seeing your fantastic results, I need to just jump in. I know we can do it. It will be our project this summer.
Thanks again!

67 Diane May 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Hi Annie – thanks for the nice note. How special it must be to live in the house you grew up in. I can drive by the one I grew up in and always feel a little sad that I can’t run up the steps and go in. One of the houses my hubs and I lived in had paneling in every room, too. We primed and painted it all and WOW what a difference it made. As you do the kitchen you should save one part of it and use it as a piece of art on the wall. Frame the old knobs or make a coat rack, or save tiles and line a wood tray with them. This way you will always have a little bit of the original kitchen still present. Best of luck with the makeover.

68 Jennifer June 25, 2012 at 12:28 am

Wow, that is AMAZING! I’ve been trying to talk my husband into painting our 1980′s oak cabinets for years now, but he just won’t budge. I’m going to show him this blog & hopefully he might change his mind :) Thanks for sharing!

69 Jenny July 18, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Wow! I can’t believe this remodel wasn’t done by a team of professionals! Your kitchen looks amazing. I hate to admit it, but the before picture could’ve been taken straight from my house. Between keeping up with my job at Dish and the rest of the household, remodeling has been shoved to the backburner. This post has inspired me to take action though! I don’t know how you got so good at this stuff. Do you use any sort of outside resources for help? I’ve been watching HGTV and DIY Network for tips and tricks, and recording every show on there related to home renovation; it’s actually turned into quite the obsession. Luckily, I have the Hopper DVR box with loads of recording space to accommodate my DIY addiction. I wish I had a natural talent for it like you seem to! Keep up the good work!

70 Michele July 31, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I’ve tackled a lot of DIY projects but none as impressive as this! How fabulous that you can look at this EVERY day with such pride and accomplishment! Congratulations on an amazing job. Your kitchen is absolutely spectacular & your hard work shows!!!

71 Diane July 31, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Thanks Michele- Doing it myself was the only way I was going to get a kitchen with white cabinets. It was worth all the effort as I still love it.

72 Chris Breckinridge August 6, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I am so excited about finding your site!!!! I read about how you painted your oak cabinet and your old kitchen looked alot like mine.
So after reading about how you did this yourself I thought I can do this her instructions are step by step. I was on a week of vacation and I started painting my cabinets. I followed your instructions step by step and took my time and they turned out beautiful. I have gotten so many comments on them and I also did my counter top that was white with blue marble lines (ugly). I Faux painted them to made them look like granite. My cabinets are a cream white and the counter top is black granite very pretty. I also use wainscoting on the island. I got the paneling type and just measured what I needed and Home Depot cut them in the height I needed. Then I used your idea of liquid nails to put them up. I did this by myself (my daughter help me paint a little and put the handles and knobs back on.)
Thanks again for helping us ladies take on projects that we can do ourselves. Sometimes we can’t get the honey to do the “honey do list”

73 Kayt August 23, 2012 at 11:07 am

What a stunning transformation! I am so impressed with how glamourous it looks, especially givent that the only “major” change is the colour!

Did you have any issues with getting a smooth, consistent finish? I’ve often thought about painting my cabinets, but have always been hesistant!

Also, have you had any issues with peeling, cracking or bubbling? I live in a humid area that makes me wonder if it would be a problem long term.

74 Debbie Grasley September 16, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Hi Diane~
My kitchen looks alot like yours in the layout except for the island. We have an U shaped kitchen and would like to get rid of the eating counter and add the island. I was wondering what size your kitchen was and the size of the island. You did a terrific job on the kitchen and I would like to have the same look some day.
Thanks for any info you can send me.
Debbie

75 Juliet September 19, 2012 at 7:02 pm

OOOOHH MMYY GGOODD!!! the beadboard for the ends of the cabinets is GENIUS! i have the same color cabinets in our “new” home and they are driving me bananas and i went and bought my primer and paint for the cabinets two days ago, got home pumped to paint to be told by my hubby that although the cabinetboxes are wood, the ends of the cabinets have a “wood sticker” on them and if i paint, even with primer, it’s going to bubble.

I have some leftover beadboard from when hubby redid the guest bedroom and placed it under a chair-rail and i when i saw the picture with the beadboard on the side i litterally threw my mac from my lap onto the sofa and bolted to the garage and then to the kitchen to see if it’d work on mine and IT DOES!

……looks like someone will painting the kitchen this weekend :) you are amazing for the inspiration i would have never thought about it!

btw..my beadboard scraps were ready to go out for heavy trash day tomorrow since they’ve been sitting in the garage for about 4 months taking space!!

76 Laurie October 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hi, I love your kitchen makeover. I have oak cabinets that I am dying to paint, AND an eating nook where I want to build a banquette to save seating space and look pretty. I adore your kitchen island… but I am not sure that my galley kitchen has the required width to accommodate one. If you ever find the time (I am sure you are super busy), would you mind sharing w/ me the dimensions of your kitchen and island? I am so happy I found your site. I feel like maybe I can do this!

77 Diane October 2, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Hi Laurie -

My kitchen is 13 ft x 20 ft. The island is 26″ x 62″. The floor space where the island sits is 9 feet. I hope this helps. A neighbor of mine could not get her dishwasher opened all the way if she used a standard island cabinet. She had a custom one built that is narrow. Instead of cabinet doors – she added tension rods and made dishtowel curtains where cabinet doors would have gone. If there is a will – there is always a way. I hope you can get it to work.

78 Ruby October 7, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Awesome job! What a difference the update has made. Love it!

79 Nicole October 19, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Amazing!! You should be house proud… Stumbled on your website and could not believe what you to your kitchen. Also loved the floor stencil so cute and not over done. So wish I had your talent. Everything looks beautiful….

80 Susie @ Homemaker-mom.com October 27, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Ok I love your blog! I love your style and this blog is now my fav go to for decorating inspiration. I WILL be trying some of the projects I see here at your blog ! Thanks Diane!

81 The Palm Cottage November 27, 2012 at 7:40 am

I was completely amazed by your bathroom re-do and this is equally fabulous! I’ve only just discovered your blog through a pin of your tissue paper flowers, then the bathroom & now here. I need to go get my AM coffee. I may be here a while!!

Seriously, you should try doing this for other people and get paid to do what you love and are so talented at!

82 Diane Henkler November 27, 2012 at 8:03 am

Thanks so much XO I used to do what I do in my own house for other people for many years. I enjoyed it, but it became hard to do as people wanted me to do what I did in my home because they liked the money I saved. That savings came from doing it myself. If I was going to do it for them – I had to charge for my time which was not a lot, but did add to the bill, making the makeover for them cost more than if they did it themselves. Now I just work on a consultation basis – giving others ideas and a plan, but they do the work. :)

83 D. Davis December 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm

thank you ,thank you ,this is perfect we had a leak this thanksgiving and it messed up some of my cabinets just like yours . I never could figure out what to do with those sides , now i do thanks to you !

84 LouAnn January 2, 2013 at 9:47 am

Hello! Just found this – your kitchen looks great! I have pickled oak cabinets (kind of pink) and white appliances. The pickled oak color makes it very hard to do any nice colors on the wall – so I want to paint. I’d love an antique white kitchen but all my appliances are white – and my husband won’t let me replace perfectly good ones. How do you like the antique white cabinets with white appliances/ I’m afraid to do all the work then not like it!

85 Diane Henkler January 2, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Hi LouAnn – I mixed the white and off-white on purpose. I love it and would do it again. I think the mix makes the kitchen visually warmer and more interesting. If you are still on the fence – look at the Sherwinn Williams color called – Creamy. It is a warm white without looking bright white. I used that on all molding around the doorways. When you do it on purpose it becomes your color scheme. To make it work – make sure to balance each of the colors throughout the space – so that as your eye moves around it sees both colors at the same time. I have the white white tile back splash, appliances, and dishes hung on the wall and on display so the color is throughout, not just in one area. The cabinets, banquette, and crown mouldling are Antique White.

86 Liz February 27, 2013 at 1:11 am

Love, Love, Love the kitchen! Exactly my idea, but didn’t know how to do it! I will use this site for my kitchen soon. Is the color of the backsplash tile bright white or antique white. I already have bright white but didn’t know if it would go with antique white cabinets. Thanks for the help!! You are very creative. Love all of your makeover ideas.

87 Diane Henkler February 28, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Hi Liz – the tiles are white white and the cabinets are Antique White. I used both to try to create a balance between warm and cool neutrals. I have a white fridge, and dishwasher so the white color is balanced throughout the room, not just on the tiles. That is what makes the scheme work – making sure there are some other white features on other walls or areas in the room to create a pleasing visual flow of the color against the Antique White.

88 Irma Navarro-Hankins March 22, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Just found you via Country Living and Finding Home. Awesome Blog! Was worth a share on FB page.

89 Lucy April 18, 2013 at 11:23 am

Did you put glass in that cupboard door yourself? I love how your kitchen turned out. I have old cabinets, 1960. Just plywood doors. I am afraid to start but they need help. lol Love the color too.

90 Diane Henkler April 19, 2013 at 9:27 am

hi Lucy -Yes, I added the glass to the cabinet door in my kitchen. I felt there needed to be some contrast and interest added. I did it a long time ago. It was not hard to remove the wood panel. I used a jigsaw on one side and the panel slid right out. I measured the opening and had glass cut to fit. I did not want to see clips or glazing points to hold it in,so I used hot glue:). I did this 15 years ago so it worked like a charm – very secure. The hardest part was getting molding cut for the mullions. My dad is great with a router and made them to fit. Nowadays there is such a great selection of small trim molding available you could buy it instead of making it.

91 Amy April 21, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Diane – Why did you decide to go with a waterbase/latex versus an oil base paint for the cabinets? Now that your kitchen has been finished and you’ve lived with it a while, how is the durability and clean-up/stainining with latex? Thanks – look forward to your response as I’m just about to begin my kitchen cabinet paining project. Thanks!

92 Diane Henkler April 21, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Hi Amy -
I chose latex as I didn’t want the hassle of oil. I made the right decision. My brother-in-law is a pro painter and he used oil when he painted his cabinets around the same time I did mine. His did not last. He now uses the method I used. It has been over 10 years since I painted the cabinets. They have held up perfectly. The only problem spot is the two cabinets that are under the sink. I keep the trash can there and the cabinets get dirty faster. I clean them more frequently right around the cabinet knobs, I have touched the area on these cabinets with some paint. It took about 5 years for that to happen though. If I was going to paint cabinets again – I would do the same process – Gripper primer, and latex or latex enamel. I never liked my kitchen before, after painting the cabinets – it became my favorite room in the house.

93 Lucy April 22, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Did you use a brush for the latex paint or the roller on the doors? Is the key to put light coats of paint?

94 Diane Henkler April 22, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Hi Lucy – I used both. A 1″ angled Purdy brush for the beveled trim on the doors and a sponge roller for all the flat areas.

95 Kate May 14, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Diane, Your website is the best! You are so generous to share with us! I can’t wait to get to work painting my kitchen cabinets. I’m wondering if you could provide some pointers on the step-by-step process you use to paint cabinet doors or drawer fronts that you’ve removed from the cabinet bodies, i.e., how you paint flat, 2-sided pieces with important edges. I can never figure out the best way to do this, including where to do it to avoid dust getting in the wet paint. Here are some of my questions. Do you paint these pieces lying flat, or instead, at an angle, leaned up against, say, a wall? Whether flat or angled, what do you support the “wrong” side or edges on when painting the other side? Which side do you do first? Do you do all the coats for one side first, and then all the coats for the other side, or do you flip the piece to alternate sides so that the number of coats stay even on both? When do you paint the edges? Should all the edges be painted at the same time? How do you avoid paint build-up on the “outside” edges where the front and back sides of the door meet, and make these edges look continuous? What wait time do you allow for a side to dry, so it isn’t marred when you turn it over and prop it to paint the other side (as has happened to me!) I’m guessing painting 2-sided flat pieces is supposed to be an easy thing, but I’ve found it hard to end up with a smooth continuous professional look. Thanks so much! Kate

96 Diane Henkler May 17, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Hi Kate –

My best advise to you is to use the best brushes and roller you can afford. As far as the details of how I did it. I placed saw horses in my basement with two by fours going across them. I placed the cabinets flat on top of the 2 x 4′s , doing one side at a time. I used a foam roller for the flat areas and a 1- 1/2″ angled Purdy brush to do all the bevels and edges of the cabinets. I painted each side – the whole side and edges all at once, let dry and added the next coat, When it was dry, I flipped and repeated the process on the other side. Since the side edges were already done, I just checked to make sure it looked OK. I looked for drips and used the paint brush to get rid of them. If you get dried ridges of paint – sand with medium to fine grit sandpaper in between each coat. Use light coats only – no heavy coats. Drying time depends on your weather conditions. I would wait at least a 4-6 hours in between coats, maybe more if you live in a humid area.

97 Kate May 18, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Diane, Thank you so much! This is super helpful. I like the idea of painting the doors flat and doing all the coats on a side before flipping the piece. I’ve tried painting cabinet doors in place and it was hard to keep them from moving around. Thanks, Kate

98 mia May 26, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Hi Diane,
We just updated our kitchen with painted white cabinets, custom vent hood, stainless appliances and marble counters! ( I still get goosebumps just looking at it all!!) I love what you did with your kitchen and I’m using your design as inspiration to decorate…. baskets on a cabinet shelf, mixing white tones and I’ll be installing some shelf brackets to dress up the toe kicks. Would you share with me what you used as a towel rod on the end of your island and where you found it? Thanks for all of your fantastic ideas!

Mia

99 Diane Henkler May 29, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hi Mia – I bought the towel rods that are on each end of the island over 15 years ago. I think I got them at Van Dykes Restorers. They have a catalog and a site online. Now sure if they would still carry them. Search for “Towel Bars” on their site. VanDykes.com

100 rta cabinets October 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I will help myself on a new cabinet using this tutorial

101 Marianne October 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Hi Diane,
Your kitchen is beautiful!
I really like all the details you incorporated into it.
I have the same cabinets and I was wondering if colored stain can be used instead of paint. I want to have a red oak/ cherry tone. I don”t know if the stain will adhere to the laminate sections of the cabinets. The sides I can purchase panels for and stain.. but the front is area where I’m baffled on what to do.

102 Diane Henkler October 10, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Hi Marianne -

I have used opaque black stain over polyed wood furniture with success, but have not used a regular wood colored transparent stain. I think it may end up looking streaky if it was not on applied on bare wood. If you have two different types of wood and or laminate the stain may take to each differently which would not be a good thing. Minwax makes a few different type of stain – some do have poly in them. I would go to: Minwaxblog .com and ask Bruce Johnson. He would be able to tell you what product would be the best to use.

103 Debra February 3, 2014 at 11:23 am

Hi Diane, Your kitchen came out really nice. My husband and I are getting ready to paint our kitchen cabinets (at least we are talking serious about it) I love the Sherwin Williams line of paint but I have to ask if they really come out without any brush strokes? And when you say paint ridges, do you mean the line that you get on the end of the piece? I get that a lot on painted projects and it seems like I have to really sand very hard to get it off if I can even get it off without going back to plain wood. Do you have any suggestions for this? I appreciate any feed back that you can give me.
On another note I love black painted furniture with the pottery barn look. Do you think I can get that result if I use the black stain? I think your work is really good so I am asking you for your help. PLEASE !!!
I trust your knowledge from the beautiful work that you do.
Best Wishes

104 Diane Henkler February 3, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Hi Debra -

If you use a high quality brush for latex paint then, yes using the Sherwin Williams paint there will be no brush strokes. If your cabinets have a wood grain in them, you may see that after painting, but not brush strokes. The paint self levels. It is really true.

When I use the word “ridges” I am referring to the line that sometimes occurs when you roll on paint. The ridge of paint can happen where the edge of the roller ends. If you see extra paint being depositing on the surface along the ends of the roller, you have to go over them to smooth, before the dry.

If you are getting paint ridges on the ends or edges of the pieces you paint, you may be applying the paint too heavy. More lighter coats are better than one or two heavy coats. When you get to the edges, go over a few times with the brush to smooth. Wait a few minutes to see if any of the paint is sagging, dripping, or not leveling and go over with the brush to smooth.

I like the look of the black stain on furniture. For cabinets you would have to make sure you brushed it on super evenly over the fronts of the cabinets. Since they are large vertical flat areas they may show any imperfection in the color and brush strokes. I think I would stick with paint. The stain is great for use on smaller projects or pieces of furniture with less vertical large areas. If you decide to go the stain route – test it first on a small area and see.

Having painted my cabinets twice now over 12 year period. I highly recommend going with paint. Practice your paint strokes on some scrap wood to get the hang of it and use a foam roller with rounded edges to lessen paint ridges forming. Use Purdy brushes. Use a tack cloth before every new coat to make sure you are getting all the dust, grit, hair etc off. Take your time and paint the cabinets section by section. Remove the doors and set up a boards on saw horses so you can paint both sides of the doors. With a little time you will be rewarded with a brand new look for your kitchen.