How to Add a Crown Molding to a Craft Room

I finally finished it – the “Creative Wall” in my studioffice  – a.k.a. my craft room. I now have a craft room that is highly organized.  Recently I posted about each of the frames I made and attached to the wall. Each frame has a separate function – one to hold gift wrap, a frame to hold the tools I use daily, and the last frame a place with a retractable white background to take blog photos.

Today I am going to show you how I added the crowing touch to the top of all 3 frames with a piece of MDF and crown molding.  It brings all the frames together, even though they are each a separate component.

How-to-make-a-curtain-rod-fYou can do this same type of topper to add above a simple framed door or window to add architectural interest to your home.

Creaft room Organizing Ideas

Craft room Organizing Ideas

Craft Room Decorating Ideas

1-view-from-floor

When I went to buy crown molding at Lowes the nice guy in the lumber department came over to help me. I told him I was picking out crown molding and he asked me if I ever used Flip Face. “No”, I said –“I never even heard of it.”  He explained it was easier to cut – and if you have ever cut crown molding you know how exasperating it can be.  He gave me a pamphlet and I figured I had nothing to lose so I bought it.  Hey, if it looks the same and saves me time – I will try it.

Materials Needed:

4′ or 5′ high Crown Molding
5″ wide Pine or MDF board -
Quarter round – to use as hidden supports – I used scraps from another project
Optional:  Decorative molding- narrow – to hide the seam between the frames and the topper.
Miter Saw
Drill and drill bit
Pencil
Tape Measure
Finishing Nails
Nail Punch
Hammer
Paint
Spackle
Caulk

Flip-face-molding-(1-of-1)

Flip Face molding is reversible – it looks the same on each side – which is a bit confusing at first.  Instead of having to move the miter saw blade to the other side of the saw to cut opposite ends, you simply cut one end, flip it over and move the molding to the left on the saw and line up where the opposite end of the molding should be cut – an cut. It was easier.  (The Flip Face people do not even know I exist – I bought this  molding – this is not a sponsored post.)

Flip face

Here are the cut pieces for the topper all ready to be assembled.

Molding

Since it was a long piece, I worked in my garage. The lighting was not great, but you can still get the idea of how I pieced it all together.  The quarter round I cut into 6 inch pieces to use as a support for the crown molding to be nailed into.

piece-together

I used Liquid Nails to glue all the parts together.

Wood-Glue-(1-of-1)

And let it dry.

Glue-together-(1-of-1)

wood-braces-(1-of-1)

Before I added the end caps I placed a finishing nail into the crown molding where I had quarter round supports.  I then glued on the end pieces of crown that will wrap around the board to create a finished edge.

add-nails-(1-of-1)

I used a nail punch to sink each of the finishing nails into the wood and then I Spackled over all the holes.

Finishing nails have a top that has a small indent in them so that it is easy to place the tip of a nail punch on it, hence making it easier to sink into the wood.  My punches were my hubby’s grandfathers – quite old, but work perfectly.

Punches-and-finishing-nails

Once the top was dry , I found a drill bit that was the same size as the large finishing nails I was using to hang the topper on the wall.

How to install crown molding

I found where the studs where located with the help of a stud finder.  To get the topper up on the wall required 4 hands – my daughter helped me hold it up until I got a nail hammered in on each side of the topper.  I countersunk them, Spackled over the holes, and sanded smooth.

How to install crown molding

Since I am not the perfect carpenter – there was a gap between the last frame and the topper. To fix this I added a thin piece of plastic white molding along the top of all the frames– cost $1.87 for an 8’ piece.  I made little end caps for it also.

How to join corners on molding

I attached it with Liquid Nails and taped it in place until the glue was dry.

How to add crown molding

Once it was dry, I painted the topper using two coats of  Valspar latex semi-gloss paint in Bistro White.

Craft Room Organizing Ideas

All done.   The hardest part was getting it up on the wall.

Craft Room Organizing Ideas

Craft room organizing Ideas

Now the wall is complete and I could not be happier to have this side of room completed.  If my hubby finds a job and we have to move, everything can easily be taken apart and I can use it in my next house.   I only used two nails in the topper so it, to will be easy to remove.

Craft Room Organizing Ideas

Comments

1. Merri Jo says

I’ve liked every step of this project, & the end result is marvelous!! I asked a finish carpenter friend what he would charge for a custom project like this. He estimated $1,100–$1,400 or more depending on the size! You deserve much more thn a pat on the back–what an accomplishment! I’m looking forward to your future creations from your fabulous studio/office.

Hi Merri Jo – thanks for the pat on the back XO WOW $1,100 – $1,400 for a finish carpenter to create! That is why I DIY :) I spent time and about $85 to create the wall.

This looks fabulous. You are one awesome DIYer! Thanks for all the great ideas you share. I just wish you lived next door and could give me one-on-one lessons!

3. Debra says

I am following this all the way. Even tough my space is a few weeks/months away. Thanks to you I have it all Crowned out! You have been a great inspiration for my office work space. I can’t wait to get my small tools hung up! Will share pics. Thanks so much, Debra

Diane, I always love your instructions and photos. Your directions are clear and easy to understand. If I hadn’t been following your blog I doubt that I’d have tackled a job like your craft room. With your information I feel more confident about starting on my own craft room. Thanks!

5. Linda says

Diane, you are a girl after my own heart. Thanks for sharing that crown moulding. I will have to make a trip to Lowe’s. I love what you have done with your organizational wall. The crown moulding puts it over the top. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Amazing . . . such an excellent teacher you are! Even so, I think I want you to come and live with me and I will put you to work on my projects! SMILE

I might just have to try this . . . I have succeeded with the fabric memo board and the candle light for outdoors . . . Next, crown molding? I will have to think about this one . . .

Love your blog and creative, DIY ideas Diane . . .

7. Sheryll & Critters. says

I had trouble waiting for my browser to open to read all of this (well the virus check ALWAYS runs no matter what) and oh my. I knew I would learn a lot more from you. I would have not thought of the quarter round for support. Wonderful again, just like I said with your bathroom make over and those mirror frames and oh my….. just love everything you do and teach us and learn so very much from you with every blog!

Did I tell you that I love you?

8. Sheryll & Critters. says

And kisses to fur baby Traxx, hope he is doing better. I know it will take more time for him to play again….. cause my baby boy Sugar took a long time to be his self again. That was back in June of 2005 and he is a happy boy today.

This entire project is just wonderful!!! The Powerflip moulding – brilliant!!! And so was your “fix” to hide that gap. WELL DONE & BRAVO!

10. Sheryll & Critters. says

Oh Angie S,

I so agree with you….. check out what Helen has done to her whole house. It is beautiful. I read a lot on lots of make overs and this and that and none compare to her redo’s and I so love Diane’s taste in all I have seen………. and I am still reading her do over stuff.

Plus, she saves us SO much money!!!

HELLO?

11. Nicole says

WOW I love this! just one note, I had to read your instructions a few times to make sense of it. Your list of materials needed does not include some of the items you used, so right off the bad I was confused. You talk about quarter rounds and you have a piece of pine or mdf, and those are not listed in your supply list.

Hi Nicole – Sorry to have confused you. Tutorial writing is pretty time consuming and I sometimes miss adding something in. I added the pieces to the list. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

12. Rose Schneider says

Wow, you are so talented. I am so impressed with your projects. You are a girl after my own heart!!
    Just beautiful!