How To Hide the Cords on a Flat Screen TV

After my last post showing you the thrift store tables in my family room, I received a few questions about the TV in the room – specifically wanting to know how to hide the cords and wires since the TV is mounted above a fireplace.    In a perfect world, I would answer that there were electrical and cable outlets on the wall behind the TV, but since my house was built in 1993 – flat screen TV’s mounted on walls was not something builders included in their design.

We could have drilled a hole in the wall ourselves and threaded the cords/wires through it to a basement outlet, but with the brick fireplace that was not an option.

What did I do?  Abbracadabra…  it is all wireless – Only kidding.   My fix – not so magical or perfect, but one that lessens the eyesore of exposed wires.  I covered them with a sleeve of fabric in the same color as the wall.

How to Hide-Flat screen TV-Cords and wires

I took the cover off to show you how I made it.  This is how the cords looked after I organized and bundled them with cable ties.  There are electrical and cable outlets behind the corner cabinet. The cable box, DVD player, etc. are behind closed doors in the cabinet.

How to hide flat screen TV cords and wires

Cable-Ties

Hwo to hide flat screen TV cords and wires

The sleeve of fabric has Velcro along the edges to keep it closed.

How to cover-TV-cords and wires

Step-by-Step-Instructions-2

Fabric
Velcro – sticky back
Cable ties
Scissors
Optional: wire and a picture hanging hook

1.  Figure out how long and wide your sleeve of fabric should be.  The fabric should wrap around the bundled wires loosely.   Cut the fabric to size and hem with fabric glue or sew it on.

How to make a-cover for electrical cords

2.  Place your fabric right side down -peel the two sides of the Velcro apart.  Attach one side of Velcro along each long edge of the fabric:  On the left edge of the fabric place the Velcro on top of the fabric.  On the right edge – the Velcro goes on the underside of the fabric edge.

How to make a Fabric-Cord-Cover

3. A nice and neat sleeve of fabric.

Velcro-cord-cover

4. Optional:  I made a hook out of wire and wrapped it around the bundled wires that run behind the cabinet.

How to make a wire hook

5. I attached a picture hanging hook on the wall and hooked the wire loop over it.  This keeps the cords/wires from hanging down directly from the edge of the mantel.

Wire-hook

Not perfect – but without a lot of options to choose from – I have been pretty happy with my fix the past 3+ years.     I sometimes place pretty objects in front of  it and other times I leave the space bare since the fabric blends into the wall.

How to hide electrical cords

How to hide flat screen TV cords and wires

Have you done any “quick fixes” that have turned into a permanent fix lately?

Comments

1. Michele Webb says

This is just GENIUS!!! I have been sitting in my living room staring at the bundle of wires hanging from the open shelves that house my dvd player and cable box, HATING THEM since May when we remodeled! My hubby is an electrician, so he tells me all the time, “I’ll do something about it soon!” Yeah, just like the wires that were hanging down on over the floor, that I finally attached to the baseboard molding with 3M hooks! Looks much better, and the dogs aren’t tripping on them anymore! I will be looking for coordinating fabric tomorrow! Can’t wait to fix it and see how long it takes him to notice I did it!!

Thanks Michele –

Just like the mechanic whose own car doesn’t run – you have your very own electrician and end up doing the the work. :) When I make any changes in my house my daughters and I take bets on how long it takes my husband to notice. It is usually about 2 weeks.

You come up withe the best ideas! Perfect for your fireplace wall. We recently had this dilemma with a new flat screen in the bedroom. It is mounted on a wall, high, opposite our bed. We had a “flat “there, my favorite TV, but it went on “kind of a fritz,” called the cable co. and they managed to get the TV working again. Long story . . . eventually we had to get a cable box, mount it behind the TV because there was no place for it to sit. Box blocked the TV vents and fried the TV. Bought a new TV . . . Closet behind that wall. Hubby made a shelf, velcroed the box to this removable shelf should we need to access and made a hole through tthe wall for the wires using the insert for a cam light. Getting the picture? Works like a charm! Electric eye on TV to use remote for off/on. So . . . I have him on DIY projects now too. Hope this made sense. No brick wall to deal with so this was possible!
    I need to take pictures . . .
    Love, Lynne

Hi Lynne – Sounds like a charm to have a closet with a shelf on the wall behind – perfect. I can understand why you have hubby on DIY projects now.

Thanks Kristie – I did it a few years ago. Thanks to a few readers who asked about it – I realized it would be a good post.

3. Donna M. says

Our tv is above our fireplace but the cords are in the wall. And I still hate it. I hate the big black box over my mantle. It makes decorating the mantle more of a challenge. I would much prefer my little tv in the cabinet that I could close the doors on.

4. Msk says

Ha, I made the same exact thing a few months ago! Great minds think alike. It looks great! For anyone who plans to try thi, If you have the paint swatch from when you painted your room, remember to take it with you when you pick out fabric :)

5. Madeline says

What I need is an idea to disguise the tangle of cords and cable box behind my TV cabinet, not really all that visible, but can be seen when you enter the room if your eye travels down that way, plus I know it’s there. Any suggestions?

6. Madeline says

Hi Madeline – Maybe you could add a piece of wood molding stained or painted the same color as the cabinet to the side of the cabinet or on the wall that is visible when you walk into the room. Measure the height of the cabinet for the length of molding needed. For the width -measure the space between your wall and cabinet and make sure that the molding is this wide so it will fit in. Add a hook to the back side on one end of the molding. Hang another hook on the wall and then hook the fitted molding over the wall hook. You may have to play around to get it to align to fit just right, but I think it would seamlessly hide the view behind the cabinet.

• Madeline says

Thanks, Diane, excellent idea but I’m just going to modify it a bit, but you got me thinking on the right track. I’m just going to make a U shaped, three sided box, stain to match cabinet and place over the cable box and tangle. Thanks for helping me think “out of the box” (pun intended!)

Thanks for the great idea. I have been going crazy looking at cords above my mantle in my bedroom and this should be a perfect fix.

8. Junia says

I read a lot of blogs for inspiration. But some of the projects are very intimidating. What I love about your blog is that is full of little things that ANYONE can do, and in the end all of those little projects make a huge impact. THANKS!

Umm..why did I not think of that myself! Fantastic idea! I didn’t even notice the white fabric in the first picture until I saw the others. It is hidden well!

10. Pati says

Another great idea, Diane! You are amazing. You keep coming up with new ideas and you are so wonderful at explaining them — your instructions are easy to follow and the photos really help. Do you ever get tired?!? I look forward each day to 8pm when your blog will appear in my inbox — what will Diane think of next? :-) Thank you!

I have used the “gathered” sleeve look in several areas to hide cords, but hadn’t thought of using velcro to cover something bigger. I can’t stand exposed cords either, so this is a great idea!

12. Martha/Marty says

That is a wonderful solution! I don’t have a television on my mantel, but I do have some tiny white lights that required an extension cord – so it’s a small cord. There’s only a small space where it could show because of the bookcase beside the mantel, but I painted it the same color as the wall, and it disappeared. It’s visible – just like your cover – but not noticeable. That wouldn’t likely work for a bundle of cords, but it would probably work in lots of situations with lamp cords.

Now that’s clever. Why didn’t I think of that. aaahhh that’s why I read blogs for clever ideas.
    Thanks for sharing.

14. margie says

Nice job of hiding wires. When first looking at picture you have to look for the fabric cover and it looks fine. Blends in nicely.

15. lindsay says

Omg!! Thank you for this, my cables look terrible!! I never comment on blogs but felt it was a must!! Hopefully I can hide mine as well as you have!

16. Laurie says

Thanks! This is the perfect solution for me. I was not looking forward to some hardcore fix of running wires/cables into or behind my fireplace!

17. Cara says

Thank you so much for this post! We have the exact same challenge – TV mounted above the fireplace on a brick wall. I’m going to put my husband in charge of bundling the wires and I’ll find/make the fabric sleeve. Problem solved!

• Jennifer says

Wondering if you or anyone came up with a good solution for the BRICK Fireplace? My Dad put an 80″ TV above the Mantle. It’s huge and takes up the entire mantle & covers ALL the brick.

Therefore there is no room for the DVD player, DVR/Satellite Box, etc. and the wires have to come from TV down to a low shelf.

Any suggestions? She has a window on each side of Mantle so a tall bookshelf is not an option. Thanks!!

Hi Jennifer –

If the fireplace has wood under the mantel, you can add decorative molding on or around it. Create a design with the molding to look like a panel or just vertical design elements on the mantel. Paint it all the same color as the mantel. You can then run the wires behind the molding to hide them. If it is just a mantel shelf, build an entire mantel with wood so you can run the wires behind it.

Hi Esther –

I bought them over 20 years ago. They are made by Hooker. They were hard to find, but the only thing that would really work for the space besides built-ins. They were a medium oak before I painted them.

18. Barb says

Do you have an idea for hiding the Tv. cord that goes down the corner of the wall, then across to the elec. outlet? T.v. is up in corner of room and the cord runs down the corner.

Hi Barb – Have you looked into the metal strips made to hide cords that you can paint the same color as the walls? They are two parts to the strips. One part gets screwed to the wall, then the cords get placed in. A second part slides over this to hide the cord and since it can be painted the same color as the wall – it blends in. You can find them in the lamp and lighting aisles at the home improvement or lighting store. You could also do something similar with wood molding.