When it comes down to getting your Christmas decorations up fast and easy I always have lots of garland ties available to use. Here are 7 creative ways you can use them to help you decorate your home for Christmas this year.
What is a Garland Tie?
Garland ties are short little pieces of garland used to tie Christmas garlands on staircase banisters, lights, and more. They are sold in packages of 6 or more. You can find garland ties in the ornament aisle at most craft stores. The smaller/thinner ties are sold where the miniature Christmas Village items are sold. Their packaging only says “Canadian Pine”.
You can buy them online here: Christmas Garland Ties
When it comes to decorating my house for the holidays, I prefer to embellish what is already in each room, instead of removing it to place “Christmas-only type” decorations. Garland ties allow me to simply embellish items for the holidays instantly…and for the cost of only a few dollars.
Creative Ways to Use Garland Ties for Christmas Decorating
No. 1 Gift Wrap
I used 6 ties for this package and used the excess to make idea No. 2 below.
- Twist two garland ties together to make it long enough to wrap around a gift box.
- Twist the excess to secure.
- Cut ends with wire cutters or fan out to look like leaves.
- Wire on a trio of jingle bells and a name tag for a simple but festive holiday wrap.
No. 2 Invisible Tree Ornament Hooks
- Cut the ties into 3-1/2″ sections to make invisible ornament hooks.
- Simply bend each into the standard ornament hook shape.
Twist one end on the ornament…
…and the other end over a tree branch. No unsightly wire showing :-)
No. 3 Table Setting
I snipped off berries from an old wreath and hot glued them to the center of the twisted tie.
- Tie and twist the ends of one around a place setting of silverware.
No. 4 Holiday Candle
This is my favorite way I have found to use the ties so far as Christmas decorations.
- Wrap a garland tie around a glass candleholder and twist the ends to secure.
- Snip the excess off with wire cutters.
- Use florist wire to attach the silver ornaments.
No. 5 Make a Gift Jar Purse Using a Mason Jar
How to make: Mason Jar Gift Bag Purse
Use two garland ties around a glittered Mason jar to create a cute way to give your girlfriends a gift this year.
No. 6 Tie Garlands to a Banister
This was what the ties were made to do. They work perfectly to tie a garland onto a stairway banister.
No. 7 Hang Ornaments Along a Staircase
Read how to do this: Christmas Staircase Decorating on a Dime
Here is my favorite way to creatively use garland ties on a staircase. I use them to hang ornaments along the staircase. This is much easier than having to hang long 9ft sections of garland along my staircase.
These inexpensive sticks of fake greenery can be repurposed to instantly embellish just about anything. Can you think of more ways to use them around your home for the holiday season?