Now that Labor Day has come and gone, my self-imposed summer slowdown mode is over. Today I am getting back to my regular work schedule – which is creating and hopefully inspiring you to live your life in your own style.
Over the weekend I filled in my project posting planner with projects that I will be doing over the next few months. Today I am sharing one that I put on the back burner at the beginning of the summer.
I focused on getting that done over the weekend while Ed took out the last row of holly. You may remember that he has been working on removing them over the past year. (There was a lot and it was big and overgrown.) Check…Check…off the To-Do list.
When we were putting new flooring in the game room, I mentioned that I finally replaced the last of the antique brass doorknobs that were on all the doors in my house. 14 new doorknobs in total, including the double doorknobs on my front door with these oil-rubbed bronze beauties. I added these last summer when I painted the doors using a Faux Wood Finish Paint Technique.
I had switched all the interior doors with Schlage’s Bowery Knob with Greyson Trim in a polished nickel finish. Even though doorknobs seem like a minor detail, they have all made a big difference in helping me transform my 1970’s home to one that fits my style. The details in decor really do matter…knobs and even switching out all the antique white outlets and switch plate covers to white. :-)
Looking at my project list in my planner, I realized I wasn’t quite finished with replacing doorknobs, I still had one more doorknob to go on an exterior door. This simple brass doorknob’s time was up and so was the color of the door.
Here is the Before and After. I painted the door to coordinate with the color and faux wood finish that I created on the front doors of my house and replaced…
the knob with this Schlage Andover Knob and Trim in Antique Bronze. The color coordinates now with the exterior light fixtures that I updated soon after we moved into the house, which will be 3 years ago come December.
While I was at it, I went in search for a new doormat to add some style to my otherwise utilitarian garage. I bought it at Kirkland’s. I like that it looks Fall-ish without being too autumn themed. It makes me happy to see a pop of color even in the garage.
Another project we started over the last two weeks is adding new flooring to the master bedroom. Ed was on a roll and has already removed all the wall-to-wall carpet, padding and a gazillion staples. He even got it all to the dump. Now we are just waiting for the new flooring to arrive so we can begin installation.
We have two walk-in closets in the room. The white shelving units and drawers on the left in the photo above are from the closets since the carpet had to be removed in each closet.
Once the new flooring goes in each, we will move these back in and continue on into the main part of the bedroom. For me, this is the hardest part of installing new flooring, having to move everything out of the room, even the big stuff. Most of the bedroom furniture is piled up in the foyer right now which makes for quite an interesting entrance.
As you know, when you start one project you begin to see other things around it that need to be changed or updated, too. That happened here. While there is no pretty floor to mess up, I have painted Ed’s desk, and am going to whitewash the brick on the two far walls. I might even paint or paper the wall behind the bed to create an accent wall. I ordered some samples and will decide over the next few days.
I also am adding an area rug that looks something like this one that I just LOOOOOVE!