If you like cucumbers you will enjoy this easy to make cucumber salad. It is vegan and gluten-free, but don’t let that make you think it isn’t delish. It makes a perfect side dish or snack.
My husband, Ed who is not a vegan likes the salad so much he asks for me to make it every week.
Besides being deliciously crispy and refreshing, it can be made in one bowl – so clean up is easy too.
I use English cucumbers to make the salad, but you could also use a regular cuke.
I use this handheld flat mandoline. It is very simple to use, clean and store. It is very handy with no cutting blade inserts. Just a slider to lock and 3 options for slice thickness.
To start slicing, just place it over a medium size bowl to slice the cucumber.
Once the salad is all mixed, let it sit for at least 15 minutes so it can marinate. The recipe calls for oil, but I have never made it with oil, but I am sure it would taste just as good or maybe even better.
I usually make the salad a few hours before I serve it and place it in the fridge. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 24 hours. The cukes may not be as crunchy, but the salad will still be very good.
So the next time you are at the supermarket, pick up an English cucumber to try the recipe. Or if have a bumper crop growing in your garden that you need to find recipes to use them up, remember this one.
Once you try it, you’ll understand why Ed asks me to make it every week.
Deliciously Crunchy Cucumber Salad
- 1 medium size bowl
- 1 mandoline – thinnest slice blade
- 1 English cucumber very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dill if using dried dill – use 2 tablespoons
- 2 TBS white wine vinegar
- 2 tsps mustard grainy style
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil optional
- In a medium size bowl, add the vinegar, oil (if using), mustard, and salt. Whisk well to mix. Then add the diced onion. Mix well.
- Place mandoline over bowl and slice cucumbers.
- Toss the cucumbers into the mix making sure the dressing gets over the cucumbers.
- Let sit out on the counter for 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for an hour.
- If you have leftovers, store in an airtight container for a day in the refrigerator.
You May Also Like: