Today I have something colorful to share with you, but it is not for your home. It is for your computer’s desktop background screen image. It is a way that will help you keep files and folders on your computer organized and easy to find.
Imagine opening up your computer where you’re greeted with a pretty desktop background, perfectly appointed files, and useful folders. Instead of, you know, dozens of nameless documents, and duplicate photos scattered all over the screen?
This time of year I always yearn for new starts and new organization. Since I don’t have the need for back-to-school supplies like notebooks, I thought I would come up with something I do need… a new background image for my laptop. Instead of using a favorite photo or the default image that comes with the computer.
I have found having an image that is like a memo board helps keep folders and files you are working organized and not just scattered all over the screen. Having a background with sections or columns to place your files and folders makes it much easier to find them.
If I write a sticky note, I can drag it to my To-Do section. Before I close up for the day, I always try to have my To-Do column cleaned off.
I made a .jpg image of this desktop background that you can download and save just as you would any of your favorite photos and place on your computer’s desktop background display screen.
The image is static, but having three separate columns to place icons make finding what you want at a glance easy.
How To Add the Desktop Background Screen Organizer to Your Computer
1. Find out what size resolution screen your computer has.
For a Mac:
- Select the System Preferences from the Apple Menu, then click on Displays. Next to the word Resolution, make sure your radio button titled “Scaled” is clicked and look to see what resolution is highlighted. This is the size download (below) you will need.
- Click the Start button, then click Control Panel. Under Appearance and Personalization select Adjust screen resolution. Check to make sure the monitor you want to examine is selected in the drop-down Display list. Below that, you will see the drop-down resolution list, with your current setting showing the number of pixels horizontally and vertically. This is the resolution size you will need for your download. Click cancel to leave things as they are.
2. Download the desktop background you need below.
3. Upload the image as your desktop background.
On a Mac:
- Select the System Preference for the Apple menu. Select the Desktop & Screen Saver option. In that window, find where you saved your newly created desktop background and click on the image. This will add the desktop background for you.
- Right-click your desktop and choose Personalize. Select Desktop Background from the windows bottom left. Click your newly created desktop background for the background. Click the Save Changes button.
Optional: To Change the Label Holder Category Titles
You can use Photoshop, Key Note, Power Point, PicMonkey, Canva or any photo editing software to add custom category titles to each label holder.
- Download the .jpg below that says “blank labels” in the size screen resolution you need.
- Upload the image to your photo editing program on your computer.
- Then add your your own category names in the color and font that make sense for the way you use your desktop.
- Then re-save your image and upload to your computer’s desktop background.
If you would like to use fancy fonts: Check out this post where you can download many free fonts to use. Popular Free Fonts to Use
Some ideas would be a category for photos you are editing, or volunteer duties at your child’s school that you need to keep handy and easy to get to.
Find your desktop background screen size below and click on it to download the .jpg
Already Filled in Label Holders: To-Do, File, Misc:
Blank Label Holders For You To Fill In Using Photo Editing Software:
You will be taken to dropbox. If the image doesn’t open automatically, click on the file name (size numbers) link and it will pop open.
If your eyes prefer a non-white background so the grey file names pop out more, here is a colored background in all screen sizes ready for download.
Filled in Labels:
Blank Labels For You to Fill In Using Photo Editing Software
Now when you open your computer, you will be greeted not only with some happy color therapy, but organized bliss with your very own desktop background screen. :-)
If you have any problems with the downloads or questions on how I use the background, just let me know.