Do you have dozens of nameless documents, file folders, and photos scattered all over your computer’s desktop screen that you use in your daily workflow that are getting out of hand? If so, then this free desktop organizer wallpaper is for you. Here you’ll see how it works.
Imagine opening up your computer where you’re greeted with a pretty desktop background, perfectly appointed files, and useful folders all organized into sections makes finding files and images a breeze.
This time of year I always yearn for new starts and new organization. Since I don’t have the need for back-to-school supplies like notebooks, I thought I would come up with something I do need… a new desktop wallpaper organizer for my laptop.
Free Desktop Wallpaper Organizers
In the past if your computer desktop backgrounds were a favorite photo or the default image that comes with the computer, then using a background image where you can organize desktop clutter under categories, each with customizable labeled areas.
I have found having a background image that acts like a memo board helps keep folders and files I am working organized and easy to find. Much better than scattered all over the screen.
If I write reminders on a sticky note, I can drag it to my To-Do section on the background memo board. Same goes for my computer files and anything I keep on my computer’s desktop.
I made a .jpg image of this desktop background that you can download and save just as you would a personal photo and place on your computer’s desktop background display screen.
The image is static, but having three separate columns to place desktop icons make finding what you want at a glance easy.
How to Find Your Desktop Background Organizer Screen Size
1. Determine what size computer desktop organizer you will need, you first must know the resolution size of your computer screen.
For a Mac or Macbook:
- Mac users can select the System Preferences from the Apple Menu, then click on Displays.
- Next to the word Resolution, make sure your radio button titled “Scaled” is clicked and look to see what resolution is highlighted. This is the size you will need.
- Click the Start button, then click Control Panel. Under Appearance and Personalization select Adjust screen resolution.
- Check to make sure the monitor you want to examine is selected in the drop-down Display list.
- Below that, you will see the drop-down resolution list, with your current setting showing the number of pixels horizontally and vertically.
- This is the resolution size you will need for your download. Click cancel to leave things as they are.
2. Download the desktop background computer wallpaper you need below.
3. Upload the image as your desktop background.
How To Add the Desktop Background Organizer Image to Your Computer
On a Mac:
- Select the System Preference for the Apple menu.
- Select the Desktop & Screen Saver option.
- In that window, find where you saved your newly created desktop background and click on the image.
- Right-click your desktop and choose Personalize.
- Select Desktop Background from the windows bottom left.
- Click your newly created desktop background for the background.
- Click the Save Changes button.
Optional: To Change the Label Holder Category Titles
You can use Photoshop, Key Note, Power Point, Canva or any photo editing software to add custom category titles to each label holder.
- Download the .jpg below that says “blank labels” in the size screen resolution you need.
- Upload the image to your photo editing program on your computer.
- Then add your your own category names using the “Type Tool” in the color and font that make sense for the way you use your desktop.
- Then re-save your image and upload to your computer’s desktop background.
If you would like to use fancy fonts: Check out this post where you can download many free fonts to use. Popular Free Fonts to Use
Some category ideas would be a category for photos you are editing, or volunteer duties at your child’s school that you need to keep handy and easy to get to.
NOTE: When you download the .jpg you will be sent to Dropbox. When there, click the little symbol of a down arrow in a square that says Direct Download.
This is all you need to do, you don’t have to sign up to use Dropbox.
Already Filled in Label Holders: To-Do, File, Misc:
Blank Label Holders For You To Fill In Using Photo Editing Software:
You will be taken to dropbox. If the image doesn’t open automatically, click on the file name (size numbers) link and it will pop open.
Solid Color Section Background
If your eyes prefer a non-white background so the grey file names pop out more, here is a colored background in all screen sizes ready for download.
Filled in Category Labels:
Blank Labels For You to Fill In Using Photo Editing Software
Where Can I Get Digital Sticky Notes?
Digital Sticky Notes may come right on your computer in your apps. If not, you can do a Google search for Digital Sticky Notes to find one. I have a Mac and use the application called Stickies. You can read how to use them in this post: How to Use Stickies.
If your computer doesn’t have the app, you can add a Sticky Note to your computer via a Chrome extension.
Having an organized computer desktop when you open your computer, will not only greet you with some happy color therapy, but organized bliss as well with your very own desktop background screen. :-)
If you have any problems with the downloads or questions on how I use the background, just leave me a comment on this post.
For more ideas on how I stay organized at work, check out how I organize my Desk Drawers.
You May Also Like: