When you are looking to make something sweet to take to bake sale or pot-luck and you want something besides, brownies or cupcakes, this easy to make Popcorn Cake recipe will be a hit with both young and old.
Popcorn Cake Recipe Post updated: 4/1/2019
I use to make Popcorn Cake on a weekly basis when my daughters were growing up. It was a great recipe to make to take to bake sales as it looks so unique and colorful among all the brownies on the table. Popcorn Cakes also works well for Easter when I always form them to look like pastel little nests.
When you make them into round balls they are fun to eat after sports practice, parties, and can be made in 20 minutes. They are sort of like Rice Krispie treats, but with a twist. I made these as Easter treats using pastel M&M’s, but you can alter what color candy you add for any holiday or occasion.
You can even make the Popcorn cakes into lolli-“pops” by sticking a lollipop stick into each one after rolling it and pressing it flat with the palm of your hand. Making them this way will look very festive in Easter baskets.
Popcorn Cake Recipe
Popcorn Cake Recipe
- 1 gallon popped pop corn
- 1-1/2 cups salted peanuts
- 1- 1/2 cups pastel M & M's
- 1 stick margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows
- Mix together in a large bowl: popped pop corn, peanuts and M & M's. Set aside.
- Mix together and boil for 2 minutes: margarine or butter, vegetable oil and mini-marshmallows until melted.
- Pour melted mixture over popcorn mix and mix well.
- Rub vegetable oil over hands before forming popcorn cake mixture into shapes so the mixture will not stick to your hands.While mixture is still warm make one of these variations:- Shape into balls and place in cupcake liners.- Shape into balls and then on a sheet of wax paper, flatten with palm of hand to make lollipops - push a lollipop stick into each, let cool. - Press into baking pan and cut as you would cut a brownie.
- When taking them on a plate or container, use wax paper in-between the layers to lessen each cut of the popcorn cake from sticking to the others.
How to Make Popcorn Cake Step-By-Step
Melt the marshmallows, margarine, and oil in a pot.
Let boil for 2 minutes
Mix popped corn, peanuts, and M&M’s together in a large bowl.
When marshmallow mixture is melted, pour over pop corn mixture.
and mix well.
Rub vegetable oil over your hands, then shape the mixture into balls. If you don’t do this the mixture will stick to your hands and you won’t be able to mold into balls. I made mine a bit smaller than a tennis ball. Place on foil, wax or parchment paper.
Place each ball in a cupcake liner.
For more tasty recipe ideas head over to my Favorite Recipe Gallery.