This incredibly delicious vegan, wfpb chili is a hearty and filling recipe to be enjoyed any time of the year. It is a veggie-packed, one bowl healthy dinner that can be prepared quickly, requiring only a few ingredients. No large chili pot needed.
This is one of the recipes in my recipe box that I make on repeat. I make it at least once a week – it comes with the added bonus of enough leftovers for lunch the next day.
When you think of making chili you may think of it as a meal for the colder months of the year – or too time consuming to make.
This kale chili with sweet potatoes will change your mind. It can made in one bowl in the microwave in 15 minutes – how is that for easy for when you want a delicious meal in a snap?
It is made with crunchy kale, sweet potatoes, hearty beans and rice. Another great thing about bowl meals is that any of the ingredients can be swapped out for another kind of potato, rice or green.
I have made it with white Japanese sweet potatoes, butternut squash, purple rice, quinoa, lentils, black beans and chopped collards – so don’t feel you need to stick to the original recipe.
If you want a little crunch, serve it with a side of salt-free tortilla chips. I make these by cutting up a Food for Life Tortilla and bake until crisp.
It’s chock full of flavor and health benefits, so don’t hesitate to garnish with some fresh cilantro if you have it, grab a spoon and dig in.
Sweet Potato and Kale Recipe
Kale and Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 microwave-safe bowl
- 1 saucepan
- 2 sweet potatoes each – 12 oz. – peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup pico de gallo or salsa
- 1 – 15 oz. can diced tomatoes undrained
- Tbsp chili powder more or less to taste
- 1 – 15 oz. can white beans rinsed and drained
- 6 cups kale chopped and stems removed
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- Pinch of sea salt or to taste
- fresh cilantro as an optional garnish
- Cook rice in any manner you like. Or use shelf-stable pouches of cooked brown rice. Set aside when cooked.
- In a microwave-safe bowl combine first five ingredients. Cover and microwave 10 to 13 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Stir once or twice while cooking.
- Stir in beans and kale. Cover and microwave 3 to 4 minutes or until kale is wilted.
- Season with salt and mix well.
- Place cooked rice in bowl and serve chili over it.
You May Also Like: