Putting up the molding around two existing mirrors in my bathroom has been the hardest part of this makeover so far – the reason – Crown Molding !!! Love the look of it – hate how hard it is to figure out how to cut the corners correctly. A few words not in my own style came out of my mouth; fortunately I only had to trim the top of two mirrors with it , #4%&*@!!!! The project is not complete and I will create one post that will include all the projects I have done in this makeover when they are all totally complete. Here is a sneak peak of what I have gotten done this week.
Plain mirrors hanging on the wall with clips – functional, but not very pretty. I removed the clips and remounted the mirrors with Mirror Mastic. They sell it at Lowes. You need a caulk gun to apply it to the back of the mirror. It is like Liquid Nails, but is made especially for mirrors as the adhesive will not bleed through the finish of your mirror and ruin it.
With the help of my friend Karen’s Craftsman 10-Inch Miter Saw along with repeated viewings of a This Old House video on how to cut the corners of crown molding, I had success. As always Karen – thanks for letting me borrow your saw. One of these days I will get one of my very own. I am getting used to this one, but I know there are so many other brands that are just as good.
The easy part was framing the mirrors with Mdf boards that I got at Lowes. Each mirror required 4 boards. Top, bottom, left side, right side. I cut 2 –5 1/2” wide Mdf boards(Top and Bottom – Horizontal) to the width I needed and 2 – 3 1/2” wide boards to the height ( left and right sides) I needed. These were all just straight cuts. I then painted the back edges of each of the cut boards the same color that the front will be – white – so that when they are mounted around the mirror the mirror doesn’t reflect unfinished wood. Sand the edges and attach around the mirror with Liquid Nails. Use a bubble level to make sure all the boards are straight and level.
I chose to place the boards right on the mirror to hide a chip in one of them. This raises the frame away from the wall a bit. You also could just butt the boards right around the mirrors’ edges.
Now here is the part that I always have to think through – lots of left brain/right brain thinking necessary to cut the corners of crown molding. I am using Bed Molding – just a tad bit smaller than crown.
Check this video and tute out from This Old House.
It was all I needed to set me on the right course. I am such a visual learner and this made it so clear to me. There are also written directions for those of you who prefer reading directions.
I used Liquid Nails to attach it to the top of the mirror frame.
I first positioned the front piece and taped it securely in place until dry. I used a bubble level to make sure it was level.
Then I added the side pieces in the same way. Lots of tape to hold it up while it dries.
Once the glue is dry I will paint the frames in a semi gloss white and caulk to hide all the imperfections. Caulk is a DIY’ers best friend when they are installing crown molding and want it to look good. Once that is done the mirror frames will be done.
Since the mirrors are not quite finished and I don’t have a pretty AFTER photo for you, I thought I would end this post with something pretty. I found this Waverly fabric at my favorite fabric place on Wed – the day I took off. I had a fun day, by the way. Thanks for all the b-day wishes you sent me. The fabric was only 4.99 a yard. It is called “Sweet Spot” I am not sure quite how I am going to use it – but it is for the bathroom.
I also wanted to tell you that the Linky Tools I have for The Daily DIY page are not working – so I could not add anything this week. I will be posting the ideas in a different format from now on, but here is one that I think you will enjoy.
I hope you have a Happy 4th of July - Enjoy!