DIY Home Improvement: Budget Bathroom Makeover for $265

by Diane Henkler on 08/10/2011

This budget bathroom makeover project started when I thought we were going to move.   I haven’t been able to redecorate like I used to before my hubby was laid off from his job 2+ years ago.  Living in limbo and not knowing what tomorrow will bring is not an ideal way to live.  We just take it one day at a time, knowing that moving is most likely going to happen sooner or later.  I figured if we do have to move I might as well get a head start as this bathroom would need to be updated if we put the house on the market.   Soon after thinking about all this,  I saw an inexpensive brown damask shower curtain while browsing at HomeGoods. I loved it and that was all the incentive I needed to get started.

Budget Bathroom Makeover

This bathroom has come a long way from the builder beige and stock cabinets that came with the house when we first moved in.  My girls were little then,  now they are 24 and 21  – they grew up using this bathroom.  My youngest is coming home tonight for a few days. I can’t wait to see her reaction.

17-years-before-of-bathroom

Since my daughters are no longer living at home this bathroom is basically unused. I could make a mess and leave all my tools out. I never cleaned it all up until  last week.   It was very nice  working this way, plus I was in no rush.  I truly took my time as I did everything myself, except for putting in the new light fixture. I don’t do electrical or plumbing – that is hubby’s contribution.

I have recapped everything I did in the bathroom in this post and have included links to the actual tutorials if you would like all the specifics for each project.

Before

Plain-Mirror-bathroom-makeo

After

DIY-Bathroom-Makeover-After

How To Add a Decorative Front to a Bathtub with Beadboard and Molding

There is one of those modular shower enclosures in this bath that I had to keep as this was truly a budget project.  I wanted to make it blend into the background as much a possible so I made a beadboard frame to hide the front. The other way I made it less noticeable was to paint the room’s walls the same color as the enclosure.

My initial plan was to make the decorative front in front of the tub – level with it, but I would have had to move the shower curtain rod out and it would have landed right smack in the middle of the window. I went to Plan B which was to wrap the decorative front over the front edge of the tub so the shower curtain rod could stay where it was.

How-to-build-a-bathtub-surr

How-to-use-molding-to-make-

Done

Bathtub-Makeover

Click here for the full step by step tutorial-

How I Added Decorative Molding Around The Tub

How to Add Wood and Molding to Frame a Mirror

Next I moved on to give the existing mirrors a bit of style. We bought them at Home Depot when we moved into the house. We installed them with mirror clips as a temp fix that lasted till well…this past month.  It turned into a long term fix, time to get it right.  I think the new mirrors are my favorite part of the makeover.

Bathroom-Mirror-makeover-be

During

DIY-Decorating-How-to-add-M

After

How-to-make-a-frame-for-a-b

DIY-Bathroom-Makeovers

Click here for the step by step tutorial-

How I Added Wood and Molding Around the Plain Mirrors

How To Install a Board and Batten Treatment to Walls

The part of the makeover that took the most thought was installing the board and batten. Lots of things to think about – how far apart I wanted the boards, thick or thin boards, how many obstacles I had to work around, how high etc.  I had some of the boards cut to the exact size I needed at Lowes, not only to make the job easier, but so the boards would fit into my Jeep. The mitered corner cuts I had to do on my own.  The miter saw was set up in my garage, this bathroom is upstairs – I got  a lot of exercise. I just pretended I was at the gym and was on a Stairclimber. I used all pre-primed Mdf boards. I like using the Mdf because there are no wood knots and every piece is uniformly smooth. I used Liquid Nails to attach all the boards so I didn’t need a nail gun, but a level is a must to make sure your boards are vertically as well as horizontally straight when you attach them to the wall.  I spaced mine 12” apart which made it easy as I just placed a wood 12” ruler between the boards to get perfect spacing.

How-to-install-board-and-ba

2 coats of paint and lots of caulking- it was done.

DIY-Home-Improvement---FRra

How to Make a Small Window Look Bigger

The window in the bathroom is not very big, it actually always looked squashed to me. I fixed that by adding a piece of plywood and crown molding above it.  It now has much more impact.

Adding-molding-above-a-smal

During

I chose the wall color to match the molded tub – I wanted the tub to blend more seamlessly in the room – not stick out. Painting the wall above the board and batten the same color creates a nice flow around the room.

Paint-color-on-walls-to-mat

How-to-transform-a-vinyl-fl

DIY-No-Sew-Window-Treatment

Click here for the full tutorial-

Installing Board and Batten

How to Paint and Caulk Board and Batten

How to Make an Easy No-Sew Window Valance using Foam Insulation

When I added the molding above the window I knew I would be adding this type of valance –it works with the line of the window.  It is a very simple project that anyone who knows how to wrap a gift box and use a glue gun can do.  I found the fun fabric for $6 a yard.

Easy-No-Sew-Window-Treatmen

Click for the full step by step tutorial-

How I made the No-Sew Window Valance

How To Transform a Vinyl Floor for $10

This was the part of the project that kept me up at night thinking of ways to redo the floor without spending much.  I ended up using a trick that I used when I worked in display. It turned out better than I expected.

How-to-change-a-vinyl-floor

Close-up-of-vinyl-floor-tra

Bathroom-floor-after-Cricut

Click for the full step by step tutorial-

How I Transformed the Floor for $10

I am thrilled with how it all turned out, but it is a good feeling to be done. I spent about $300 on everything.  I still have 2 more small additions in the way of decorative accessories that I am making.  I will post about them soon.

swirl

I am also going to add theses Interchangeable Faucet Handles.  Beckie over at Infarrantly Creative made them  and I just thought it was such a fun idea as I have similar faucets.   I can just imagine personalizing them when guests come.  That is going to be fun!  What should I write?  Any clever ideas?

image

$265 Budget Bathroom Remodel

Pin It

1 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 10, 2011 at 11:58 am

This came out so beautiful!

2 Rachel Tatem August 10, 2011 at 11:59 am

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I love the way you made the walls look like molding!

3 ritajoy August 10, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Beautiful job! What an amazing transformation. Your daughter’s going to love it!

4 Marty@A Stroll thru Life August 10, 2011 at 12:17 pm

The transformation is fabulous. It looks like a totally brand new bathroom. Love all the board and batten used. Gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

5 Cindy@OldTimePickers August 10, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Thank you so much…you have solved a major problem for me. I will be redoing my bathroom on a budget and had it all planned out including the board and batten. Problem is I have a blue bathtub and was not willing to tear it out. Using your idea and adjusting it a bit, I’ll be able to hide that tired old eyesore. ♥

6 Lisa @http://www.lminteriorsllc.blogspot.com August 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Fabulous post – amazing transformation and great tutorials!

7 Kim August 10, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Stunning! Absolutely amazing transformation. Great use of color and style.
xoxo,
Kim

8 Sallie August 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

It’s beautiful! I love the board and batten and the beadboard on the tub. You’ve given me some great ideas for the guest bath. Thanks.

9 Heather August 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I absolutely love this bathroom! I love board & batten and the craftman style. I used the black & white damask pattern in my wedding last year!

10 Lou Cinda August 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm

This is gorgeous!! Thank you so much for including all the tutorials! I know your daughter is going to FLIP when she sees it!!

Soooo pretty!

Lou Cinda :)

11 Ugagirl August 10, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I sooooooo am in love with this bathroom!! I wonder if it would be too much to do board and batten throughout my entire house!!

12 Diane August 10, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Hi Ugagirl-
I would love to do it in my foyer next – we will see – it would be a selling feature.

13 Barbara @diyHomeStagingTips.com August 10, 2011 at 4:46 pm

What a beautiful job. I especially like the tub treatment. It takes it to a whole new level. In fact, the whole room looks completely transformed! Be proud, since you did (almost) all the work yourself. Packed with ideas for the rest of us! Thanks for the helpful wrap-up.

14 Diane @ home sweet homemade August 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Diane – you and your husband did such a GREAT job. I’m sure your daughters will be amazed at the fabulously stylish redo. btw, that photo of them as little sprouts is so adorable! Love your attention to all the details and how funny that it all started with a shower curtain :) xo, Diane

15 Lisa August 10, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I am loving every little bit of this bathroom transformation. The board and batten is incredible. Thank you for sharing.

Lisa

16 annie August 10, 2011 at 6:06 pm

This looks great…hardly can believe it was a budget re-do. Love it!

17 Silly Sister #1 August 10, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Man Alive, what alot of work! It looks great, come and do my bathroom, Dave will help. But I must admit…I am kinda partial to the before picture, especially the 7 and 3 year old dollies! xoxoxoxooxoxoxoxo

18 Amanda @ House Revivals August 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm

This is one of the best make-over posts I’ve ever seen! Love, love all the tutorials, and how you explained why you did what you did. And the finished product is gorgeous!
~Amanda

19 Vicki V August 10, 2011 at 10:06 pm

You did an absolutely fabulous job, as usual. What an inspiration you are!

20 laurie August 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Diane! You did an absolutely AMAZING job on that bathroom! It looks like something out of a high end mag, girl!!! You are frugal, clever, and so very creative! LUV IT!

xoxo laurie

21 Katharine August 11, 2011 at 7:22 am

Diane, I bet your daughter was surprised when she saw her former purple bathroom. You did a great job! All the extra wood work really paid off. I love what you did with the window too. Thanks for sharing. I’ve gone through times where my husband was in and out of work. I was going to school full time and it was really stressful. I pray that your husband finds more work soon. Katharine

22 alison August 11, 2011 at 10:23 am

It looks amazing!!!!!!!!!

23 Toni August 11, 2011 at 10:31 am

Diane-What an amazing transformation! Love it-especially the walls.

24 Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage August 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm

WOW!! What a bathroom!! You had me with the beadboard around the tub!! Love it all!!

25 Heather @SimplyCottageLove August 11, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Shut the Front Door! That is incredible! I’ve got to follow you now so I can soak up the goodness!

26 Angie August 11, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Wow, this is gorgeous! Looks like a LOT of hard work but so worth the effort!

27 Anita @ GoingalittleCoastal August 11, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I think the transformation is amazing! I am sure your daughter will love it. The shower curtain is so pretty!

28 fran August 12, 2011 at 7:11 am

What a gorgeous bathroom! You did a fabulous job! ( And this post is wonderful, too!) Everything you did in that bathroom is wonderful. I’m sure it is worth way more than the $300 you put into it. Congrats!

29 Amy @ MoMomma August 12, 2011 at 10:32 am

Wow, the molding REALLY makes this bathroom a show piece. You did a fantastic job. Thanks for posting the steps as well. :)

30 Stephanie August 12, 2011 at 11:13 am

Holy Smokes! What an amazing transformation! I love everything about it! I especially love the bead board idea! Can we trade bathrooms?! I just found your site today and love it! I am a new follower.

31 Veronica August 12, 2011 at 11:29 am

Amazing transformation! I love everything about it! So fresh. Great job :)

32 Heldy August 12, 2011 at 11:56 am

WOW! What a beautiful transformation. I love the B&B walls.

33 HollyG August 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Quite the spectacular update Diane! I love the new look – it’s really great and your daughters are going to love it as well when they are home. And your tutorials are also great – I’ll be bookmarking this for the future. enjoy the weekend!

34 Jen @ The Decor Scene August 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I love how your bathroom turned out. Love it all!!!

35 Simple Daisy August 12, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Oh my goodness!!!! That looks awesome!! You gave me some serious bathroom inspiration:)

36 amanda August 12, 2011 at 9:28 pm

wow! All I can say is WOW! It looks so great..Ive been wanting to do the boards in our bathroom…tying the tub in would be great as well..You have inspired me. I love the color combos as well :)

37 Annella August 13, 2011 at 10:48 am

I am so impressed with this bathroom! You have done an absolutely beautiful job and completely inspired me. I’ve never been to your blog before and I’m so glad I found you.

38 Carrie at The Created Home August 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Oh my! You are amazing! I truly admire your talent! I am so glad I found you again… this time I made sure I became a follower! I look forward to being in awe of your creativity displayed! Hope to have you stop by and say hi sometime!
(I also linked up at Remodelaholic… so glad I did!)

39 Candy August 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm

This is truly impressive! I love it all, especially the modern color palette of the towels.

40 Tania August 13, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I just redid my bathroom too, yours turned out really great! I love how you did the walls and the windows!!

Tania

41 Kristin August 13, 2011 at 9:53 pm

What a great job you have done! It is updated and fresh. And the money you saved, amazing! Stopping by from {sunday showcase party}

Kristin

42 Tonya @ Love of Family & Home August 14, 2011 at 9:58 am

Diane-
Your bathroom makeover is FABULOUS!!! You guys did an amazing job!! I love the board & batten treatment, the beadboard front tub, & the quick & easy makeover you did to the floor! That was pretty genious!

43 Jenny B. Jones August 14, 2011 at 2:22 pm

That is AMAZING! You guys make my bathroom jealous.

44 Christina August 14, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Wow! Absolutely amazing!
I love it all!

45 Lesley August 14, 2011 at 8:23 pm

What a transformation! Amazing! You have given me so many ideas.

46 Erin August 14, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Absolutely stunning!!!! This bathroom will for sure be a selling point if/when you end up selling. :)

47 aimee August 15, 2011 at 3:57 am

it looks great i love the panels on the walls xx

48 Rachelle August 15, 2011 at 9:38 am

A-Maz-Ing! I wouldn’t have thought you redid the whole bathroom on such a tight budget. Love it!

49 Teresa (Our Corner House) August 15, 2011 at 11:21 am

Saw this transformation on a couple of blogs and wow! You are the master!!! Thanks for sharing (and inspiring)!

-Teresa

50 Jae August 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Wow. This is great. I really wanted to tackle board and batten.
Excellent job!

51 Kristine August 16, 2011 at 3:40 am

Looks SO amazing!!!!!!!! You did an awesome job!!!

We host a linky party called “Help a Momma Out” every Tuesday! This would be an awesome link up!! I would love for you to share it! Thanks so much for considering :)

Kristine

52 MJ August 16, 2011 at 9:03 am

Wow! Such a beautiful and classic bathroom. I love it! Congratulations on your hard work – it definitely paid off!! :)

53 bianca August 16, 2011 at 10:54 am

What an amazing makeover! It’s like a breath of fresh air in there :) I can tell you put a lot of love in to it and it looks amazing! Right now my hubs & I are looking to buy a house in the next 4 months and I’m trying my best to stay inspired about room makeovers; I would love to do something like this to a bathroom.

54 SoulandGrace August 16, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Your make-over looks beautiful and congratulations for doing it on a budget!

55 Gillian August 17, 2011 at 8:35 am

Just a wonderful, wonderful job—I love it!

56 Lindsay August 17, 2011 at 12:30 pm

LOVE this! We did board & batten in our loft & I have really enjoyed it! The bathroom looks amazing though! Beautiful transformation!

By the way, I am hosting my very FIRST link party and I would love to have you link this to it–

57 Diane August 18, 2011 at 10:40 am

Hi Lindsay-

Thanks -Thanks for the invite. I will come by for a visit.

58 Monica August 18, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Incredible job! Impressive! :)

59 Amy August 19, 2011 at 10:55 am

The bathroom looks stunning and I am in awe of your $10 floor transformation. That was truly an amazing DIY! You are so innovative. I love the white beadboard; it looks so clean in bathrooms! I am pinning this for future reference… :)

60 Eileen August 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm

So beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration. I’m going to try the no-sew valance.

61 Diane August 23, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Hi Eileen-

Thanks – It is very easy – not hard at all. The hardest thing will be finding a large enough surface to work on. I usually use the floor.

62 Lindsay August 22, 2011 at 10:24 am

Just wanted to let you know that I featured you today from the Show & Share party! Congrats! Make sure to grab a button!

63 Samuel Duckworth August 29, 2011 at 8:01 am

I agree to what Lisa have said. Its really a great tutorial and infact its a case study study. Its very informative. Will discuss it with my friends.

64 Inspire Me Heather September 7, 2011 at 9:43 am

Gorgeous bathroom and just the right amount of colour!

65 Jennifer Rizzo September 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm

It looks fabulous! What a great update!

66 Sandi ~ A Cottage Muse September 8, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Wow…so happy I stopped in…this is beautiful!
Love the pops of color from the towels!
I am definintely going to show my mister some of your how to’s.
So happy I stopped by!

67 Cheri cosentini September 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Can you tell me the color of the walls?

68 Diane September 14, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Valspar Bistro White on the board and batten. Ben Moore Shelburne Buff mixed with white on the top. I mixed leftover paint to get the color. Ask for Sheburne Buff at about 50-70%

69 Dana October 10, 2011 at 10:34 am

I’m in LOVE with this bathroom makeover. The window is gorgeous. Mirrors are perfect. Board and batten looks fantastic. Seriously… nothing but GOOD things here! I couldn’t help but share it on my facebook page today.

Dana @ craftedniche.wordpress.com

70 Bathroom fitting London October 31, 2011 at 7:26 am

These pictures are outstanding. Such simple looking changes and yet so important! One issue though; the plywood right under the crown molding looks flat. Why don’t you decorate it with some kind of a design? Something that’ll set a contrast to the wall color :) by the way, I know few guys, who could carry out bathroom fitting London work with this much skill.

71 amber January 1, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I love this!!! Such a great job!!!

72 Bethany @ 3SonsPlus1...and... January 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Hi, I just found your blog and am a new follower! I love how this bathroom turned out! I can’t wait to come back and read more! :)

73 Jackie January 28, 2012 at 8:47 pm

What a wonderful transformation and your instructions, well….they are great. I do have one question. You may have told this and I missed it in the read. Are the mirrors prefab or did you do the molding around them also? I have three tubs just like this in my home….and they are all going to get this treatment. I will enjoy following your site.

74 Diane January 29, 2012 at 9:23 am

Hi Jackie – Thanks.

The mirrors were just plain mirrors that I added molding around. You can find out more on how I did it in this post.

If you have any more questions or something is still unclear, just leave me another comment with your question.

75 Susan January 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm

What a wonderful idea and it looks beautiful! I’ve been trying to think of something I could do to my bath walls,& now I know … thanks for the great inspiration…I am going to do this.. Also, love all your other ideas as well, including craft room…. thanks again.,.,.,

76 Lorry February 4, 2012 at 10:19 am

How about mi casa and su casa ….?

77 Patty February 6, 2012 at 3:02 pm

What a great job you did! The new bathroom looks fabulous. I’m on a tight budget and have a home that needs fixing; I’ll definitely be trying some of this. Inspirational!

78 Leigh Ann February 10, 2012 at 9:25 am

Came across your site looking for a way to stain a bed black for my daughter. Can’t wait to try that, BTW. I have a question about the mirror. I am redoing my guest bath and want to add trim to the mirror. The mirror however is in a corner, so there are two pieces; and it goes all the way down to the backsplash already. How do I add trim to the bottom when there is no space? Thanks!!

79 Diane February 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Hi Leigh Ann-

It the mirror can’t be moved up on the wall, then you might have to place the molding right on top of the mirror. If you end up placing the molding on top of the mirror, all the other pieces will have to be on the mirror also so that all the joints will match up at the same level from the wall. (The bottom piece on the mirror will be raised up a bit more because of the thickness of the mirror. The sides and top don’t have to be on all the way on the mirror,like the bottom, but at least a part of it so that all the molding is raised from the wall at the same level. You could put a shim under the top and sides that is the same thickness as the mirror to make sure that they stay flat and don’t angle to the wall. I hope this makes sense. It is hard to explain.

80 Jana March 6, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Thank you so very much for your practical help and suggestions! You have saved some of us bathroom-reno-hopefuls hours of researching these techniques. You’ve also shown what a stunning transformation can be done with hard work and creativity. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

81 meg March 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm

What a beautiful transformation. Just beautiful

82 Kim March 22, 2012 at 4:35 am

Thank you so much for sharing. I am about to venture out and try to remodel for my Mom for the first time. The lay, before and after photos, and your comments are such a great help for people like me. I wish I could ask you questions about my projects. Once again, thank you for sharing. Your awesome;p

Truley,
Kim

83 Diane March 22, 2012 at 8:53 am

Hi Kim – if you have a question – ask me :) I will try to help you out or at least guide you in the right direction.

84 franky April 12, 2012 at 2:13 pm

This turned out beautiful! Here are some beautiful 2012 bathroom trends from eieihome. Hope you like it! http://www.eieihome.com/blog/2012-bathroom-trends.html

85 franky May 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm

What is the material you used for the wall molding (mdf boards?)…i really like that idea. is it really time consuming and difficult to complete?

86 Diane May 3, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Hi Franky – I used mdf boards. If you have a good power saw, it goes pretty quickly and not too difficult. The crown molding around the top of the mirrors took longer than putting the boards up on the wall. I took my time doing it. I measured the boards and cut them one day, installed them on another, and then caulked and painted them over a few days.

87 lorie May 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm

how did you do the bead board on the bathtub?

88 Diane May 22, 2012 at 8:20 pm
89 Alert Electrical May 31, 2012 at 5:14 am

Such a massive transformation! I’ll be honest, I didn’t like the lilac purple it was before (a little too tacky for my taste) but now it looks just like something out of an interior design magazine, all modern and fresh and stylish! Love the ‘wash hands’ tap too!

90 Mara Greenwald June 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Dear Diane,

My name is Mara Greenwald and I am reaching out to you on behalf of Procter & Gamble. I think we met at Blissdom. I really enjoyed reading this post. We would love to have you join our blogger outreach program.

If you are interested, please reach out to me at mgreenwald@bluechipww.com. I look forward to working with you!

Best,
Mara Greenwald on behalf of P&G

91 jenni June 24, 2012 at 11:08 am

Diane…I searched the internet for bathroom redo ideas and we are totally copying yours! Our bathroom has the same layout as yours so it will be easy to copy. I’ve already ordered the same fabric and we are going to start the board and batten after we lay new tile. Thanks for your ideas and wonderfully thorough explanations. I have been wanting to redo that bathroom for 10 years, but we thought we had to do the tub and everything. You’ve inspired us.

92 Amanda June 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I cant believe i found this. You are my angel! I just bought an old house, and with a new baby, our budget is extreamly tight. I am slowly trying to make this house my own, but had no idea where to even start when it came to the bathroom. I was browsing bathroom makeovers today and all of a sudden…. there it was! Every dream I had and more, right in front of my eyes. This is the bathroom I’ve always wanted :-) Ican’t wait to get started on it! Thank you, thank you for posting this. *Amanda*

93 Justine July 31, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Wow, I am so excited. I want to use every single idea…the only problem I am having is deciding if I do my kids bathroom or my master bathroom just like this. Thank you so much for just the inspiration and instructions I need.

94 Jay September 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm

You are super super super creative. What an unbelievable talent you have. I love all your ideas!!

95 Sue October 24, 2012 at 5:07 pm

This is one of the best room makeovers I’ve ever seen. It looks FANTASTIC, didn’t cost a fortune, and gives me several ideas of things I can do in my own tiny 1950s bathroom. Thanks!

96 Whitney October 26, 2012 at 10:52 am

Hey there! Love your bathroom update! I’m working on an article for SheKnows.com featuring bathroom updates from bloggers and I’d love to include yours! I’ll need your permission to use your photos, and of course I’ll link it back to your blog. Unfortunately, I have a super quick turnaround on this and I’ll need to hear from you to today to make it work. If you would like to be featured, please email me ASAP at whitneycoy@gmail.com. Thanks!

97 The Palm Cottage November 27, 2012 at 7:24 am

I’m just… well, I don’t even know what to say… I’m truly stunned! This is the best re-do I’ve ever seen! The bathroom even appears bigger. I always thought I was creative but I NEVER would have thought of all that. Absolutely amazing!!

98 Deanna December 11, 2012 at 8:02 am

I am in awe of this bathroom. I have plans for mine of putting beadboard from floor to ceiling and faux tin tiles on the ceiling. However, I dislike my vanity and mirror and lights and this is giving me ideas of how to totally change their look.
I am going towards a farmhouse look in my little ranch style home.
Thank you so much for sharing.

99 Donna Allgaier-Lamberti January 5, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I found your blog through Pinterst. Your budget bathroom is awesome- and the fact that you did it a all yourself is totally amazing. You have some major skills and I am SO impressed! I’m off to peruse the rest of your blog. I hope you might visit my home and painted furniture work if you have the time too. Donna

Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolio of chalk painted work)

100 vivien January 15, 2013 at 7:12 pm

this is the cleverest transformation I have ever seen, amazing result too. I found your page by chance and am now addicted! has passed it to my daughter, as I am a serial makeover, makedoer, recycler and decorator it is amazing to find another person on the same wavelength.
Thankyou for all the tips and inspiration

101 Diane Henkler January 16, 2013 at 11:43 am

Hi Vivien – Thanks so much for taking the time to connect with me and passing word of my blog to your daughter. XO That is the best kind of referral ever. I agree with you that it is so inspiring when we find others who are passionate about the same things we are.

102 Theresa@junk2jewels-diy.blogspot.com January 28, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Wonderful ideas! Looks beautiful!! thank you for sharing all you did!! I’m totally inspired!!

103 Louise February 1, 2013 at 11:18 am

Absolutely beautiful! You are very creative. Thanks for the inspiration.

104 Cece March 22, 2013 at 6:42 pm

A truly beautiful job. Fortunate to be able to take your time with it. I like to do that when building quilts: just take my time.

105 Ruth Dahlinghaus April 12, 2013 at 10:07 pm

These are great ideas! I have a similar shaped bathroom, and the towel hooks actually caught my eye (I have 3 kids and no towel bar space except under the window!).

Can you tell me what you did for the hooks?

106 Diane Henkler April 13, 2013 at 12:34 am

Hi Ruth – I wish I could tell you I made them, but I didn’t. Many readers have asked me about the towel hooks. They are from IKEA. I bought them 18 years ago, they no longer carry them. They are the perfect hooks for kids since they are covered in a shiny white rubber coating that hold the towels on. As you know kids have no skills when it comes to hanging up their towels. These hooks made it easy for my girls.

107 Tina May 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Love the colors! Great job. We’re about to do the same for our house this summer and this is great inspiration :)

Tina.

108 Julia June 20, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Are the ceilings in this bath “normal”
Height? I’m thinking this would work well in my bath but it is not as large as yours and I am a little hesitant because I’m afraid it will feel crowded. Also, board and batten, you just apply your horizontal top board and vertical boards to the wall? No other wood? Thanks for sharing! I’m feeling very inspired.

109 Diane Henkler June 21, 2013 at 12:36 am

Hi Julia – The ceiling height is 8 feet and yes the boards are applied directly to the wall – no other wood, once it is caulked and painted it will look seamless.

110 Lauren July 30, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I am blown away by this. Too often I see “budget” makeover and then find it’s a “budget” of 1000′s of dollars. Not MY budget I say. But this is POSSIBLE and so beautiful!

111 Carole September 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Great job! Very imaginative and inexpensive.

112 debbie November 6, 2013 at 1:56 am

Hi there,
Great job. You should be proud of your workmanship. Quick question: how high are your ceilings? I love the idea of the board and moulding in the walls, but I’m not sure how well it would work on our standard height (2.34m) ceilings. Thanks.

113 Diane Henkler November 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Hi Debbie – The ceiling height is 8 feet.

114 Janet December 5, 2013 at 9:22 pm

What is the towel holders made of?

115 Diane Henkler December 8, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I bought them at IKEA. They are metal with a hard resin style paint finish.

116 Dee January 17, 2014 at 9:07 am

I love how you updated the bathroom. It looks beautiful!!!

117 Laura February 1, 2014 at 12:32 am

Your bathroom is amazing! It gives me hope for my outdated bathroom with the exact same set up! I love it, Kudos to you!

118 tsw February 4, 2014 at 11:19 pm

This bathroom transformation is so inspiring. You say you matched the paint color to the tub–do you remember the name of the color? It looks like a great neutral that would go with any color scheme.

119 Diane Henkler February 4, 2014 at 11:47 pm

I mixed Benjamin Moore Shelburne Buff with white paint until it matched the tub surround.

120 Alison Peters March 4, 2014 at 1:05 am

wow.. i wish i had that much creativity!! But thank god for the internet.. now i can “borrow” yours

but seriously, its nice to see a budget makeover which is exactly that. Something that atainable to the average family.. and doesnt require $50,000 worth of specialist tools to help with the build ( something that is often forgotton in other tutorials)

keep up the good work … and ideas

121 Lori March 5, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I found you via Pinterest and I LOVE this bathroom remodel. We are purchasing our first home and it has a very similar bathroom. It will be the first room remodeled, it has some hideous 1970′s wallpaper that must go. I have been thinking about getting a saw for all the DIY projects I plan to do with the house, and the house has a woodworking workshop already made so I guess I will have to bit the bullet and get a table saw and get working on this. I simply can’t believe how a few changes and a few hundred dollars can make such a HUGE difference. Thank you for the inspiration.

122 e shisha March 14, 2014 at 1:12 am

Good day! I know this is kind of off topic but I was
wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
I’m getting tired of Wordpress because I’ve had
issues with hackers and I’m looking at options for another
platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the
direction of a good platform.

123 jamie March 20, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hi! Just wanted to thank you for the inspiration! This room inspired our recent bathroom re-fresh. I just posted about it a few days ago so it’s kinda funny to me that you happened to link back to your awesome makeover today. If you’d like, you can see what we came up with here. We are loving the update!

124 Diane Henkler March 23, 2014 at 11:06 am

I have removed that service (too many problems) from my blog and you should not get any follow up comment emails. If you still get emails, please let me know – as there may be something different happening

125 heroes Of The Storm beta key March 31, 2014 at 2:18 pm

This piece of writing presents clear idea in
support of the new visitors of blogging, that genuinely how to do blogging.