My Crafts Closet–Ribbon Organization Idea

by Diane Henkler on 09/28/2011

Want some ribbons?

Diane-In-My-Own-Style

I have way too many that are in disarray.  I promised myself I would get my studioffice organized before the holiday season begins so I can work more efficiently and that means ribbon organization, too. Well September is almost over -time to get a move on and get it done!  Look at all those tangled ribbons!  How did I ever let them get this way?

Well – there is one reason and his name is…

Trax-the-Cat

Yes, he is up on top of the hutch in my dining room!

See all those loose ribbons hanging in the armoire?  I used to have them all nice and neat, but if I leave the doors open – Trax  jumps up and pulls them down.   Since the ribbons are on spools they sometimes roll right off the spool and onto the floor.    He thinks my studioffice is his very own amusement park!

Diane-InMYOwnStyle in her studioffice

I keep most of my ribbons on tension rods.  I can fit four above this shelf.  Curling ribbons are to the back.  I also found a long basket that is perfect to hold ribbon rolls in a neat and orderly way.

How-to-organize-rolls-of-ribbon

Since tension rods are made to fit any size opening they work the same way in a closet as they do for their intended purpose to hold up a window treatment.

How to use a tension rod to hold, store, or organize ribbon:

Pull rubber tip off the ends of a tension rod and then place the ribbon on the rod.  The rod is doubled up in the center where one side goes into the other. You may need to widen the hole on the ribbon spool to get it over that section or just add the spools from each end.

How-to-store-ribbons-for-ribbon

When the rod is loaded with spools – replace the rubber tip.   Use straight pins to secure the end of the ribbon on each spool.

ribbon organizing idea

If you have never used a tension rod – they are quite simple to use. I used the short size. They also come in longer sizes. The package will state the width you can adjust it to.    To hang it – turn one end one way and the other end the other way to lengthen or shorten.   Check the fit and adjust so the rod is tight against the two sides of the cabinet or closet.

I place my most used ribbons toward the front of the cabinet.    What is great about this way to store ribbons is that it keeps the shelf clear for something else, doubling your storage space.  When a roll gets empty – you simply take the rod down, add or remove a spool, and put it back up.

Crafts closet ribbon organization idea

Much better. I just have to remember to close the doors when I am not in here to keep them this way.

Ribbon-storage idea

Cleaned-out-Crafts-closet

Smile inducing organization!

Craft blogger's craft closet organization idea

Now I have to tackle the rest of the room.

In-My-Own-Style-Studio-Office

swirl

Related Posts

How-To Make a Ribbon Organizer on a Wall

My Crafts Closet: Up Close and Personal

1 beachhouseliving September 28, 2011 at 11:49 pm

What a great studio you have. From the space to the ribbon closet. I would like really like working in there even after Trax has rolled ribbons on the floor.

2 Diane September 29, 2011 at 12:06 am

I spend quite a lot of time in there. When we first moved into the house I knew we had no use for a formal living room, so I made it into a studioffice.

3 Diane September 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm

It is my favorite room in the house. I spend lots of time in here.

4 Lynne September 28, 2011 at 11:53 pm

You have the best ideas. I read you and think, “now why didn’t I think of that!” Thank you once again!

5 Diane September 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Thanks Lynne. My mom was super creative and always thinking outside the box. Growing up in that environment just became the norm for me to look at things with fresh eyes.

6 Laura @Ms Smartie Pants September 28, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Love it! And that piece of furniture is gorgeous. What on the inside of the door looking on the door on the right? Where the paint chip cards are? Really great storage piece, not a spot is waisted!

7 Diane September 29, 2011 at 12:04 am

Hi Laura-

It is a Dremel Drill bit set. I got it at Costco a few years ago. It was made to hang on a wall. Every Dremel tip imaginable is in that hanging case.

8 Scentsed Candles September 29, 2011 at 12:07 am

Good job on organizing the ribbon! Hopefully Trax will keep his paws off of it lol. Good luck with the rest of the room :) What an awesome space you have!

9 Diane September 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Thanks so much. Trax is a cutie. Even though he makes more work for me at times, he is my buddy.

10 Project Queen (Mandy) September 29, 2011 at 12:07 am

Great idea Diane and your craft/ribbon closet is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

11 Diane September 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Mandy

12 Nancy September 29, 2011 at 12:31 am

Diane, I have to say, despite your incredible organization, the amount of ribbon and craft supplies you have terrifies me! LOL The sheer volume…I’m speechless (or as close as I ever get to it!) How many crafts do you estimate you could make with all that ribbon and crafting materials? Have you checked to see if you could enter the Guiness Book of World Records?

13 Diane September 29, 2011 at 10:16 am

Hi Nancy-

I save everything – all the scraps and bits and pieces of stuff as you never know when you will need it. After working in display for so many years where I had a whole “prop room” filled with goodies to use you realize how nice it is to have everything you need in one place. That is what I have tried to create in this armoire. I was lucky to get a lot of ribbon from the store I used to work at. They were no longer going to provide gift wrapping services and sold all the supplies to the employees. I got a huge box of wide satin and wired ribbon for $5.00. If you really want to see a craft room with lots of supplies check out Cathe Holden’s site – Just Something I Made. She is amazing at how she organizes all of her stuff. There is also a book and now a magazine called Where Women Create. It is filled with the craft and studio spaces of many artists, crafters, designers, and bloggers. You will get lots of inspiration looking through it.

14 Diane September 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Hi Nancy – I wanted to add to the e-mail I sent you that I create for a living so having a lot of supplies just makes sense. Cathe’s is pretty awesome!

15 tiffany @ the nest effect September 29, 2011 at 1:21 am

Love this! I’ve been struggling for a week now trying to come up with a way to organize my ribbon overload. I had a brilliant idea – or so I thought – but when I went to create it, it failed. If I had somewhere to create storage like this, I would be all over it. Pinning now to remember later…when I have a house someday. lol

Have a great day tomorrow Diane!

16 Diane September 29, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Thanks Tiffany
I did a search a few years ago and loved Martha Stewart’s use of a rain gutter to organize ribbons in. She had them attached to a wall. I thought that was pretty clever idea.

17 Suzan September 29, 2011 at 5:07 am

I have some very serious studio envy…and that craft closet is at the top of my list of things to covet! I have a great space for my studio but it is a mish mash of pieces of furniture and remarkably crappy storage! After looking at the view of your studio, I am thinking that maybe just a coat of white paint on everything would make it at least look cohesive. Thanks for the inspiration!!

18 Diane September 29, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Hi Suzan-

All my furniture is a mish mash, too. Painting it all any color and perhaps adding one accent piece in a different color will seamlessly bring it all together. I wish I had some before shots of the room to show you. It looked like a junk furniture store.

19 Rachel Tatem September 29, 2011 at 7:38 am

I am so jealous of your craft area! I have a small corner to store stuff in a small closet and have to move it with each project!

20 Diane September 29, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Hi Rachel-

When we moved into this house – this room was the area deemed on the builders plans as the formal living room. I knew we would never use a formal living room and it would be a total waste of space if we did, so we made it onto a room that we are in constantly. The decor has changed over the years, but the function has always been the same – a place to spread out and work.

21 Sandra September 29, 2011 at 9:11 am

That is one awesome craft armoire! So pretty and organized…I’m a tad jealous. :-)

22 Diane September 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Hi Sandra-

It was a hand- me down from my husband’s parents. I has taken on a new life every time we have moved. It was a pantry closet once, a bar, and I even used it as my clothes closet for 4 years. I like it best as my craft closet.

23 Andrea September 29, 2011 at 9:29 am

Hi Diane! What a great idea. I don’t have a lot of ribbon but it would free up a couple containers for something else ;-) Love your studio, too!!

24 Toni September 29, 2011 at 10:38 am

Diane-I love this ribbon storage idea. You’re timimg is perfect because I am working on organizing my craft/sewing room this week. Thanks for the inspiration!

25 Coco Draws September 29, 2011 at 12:36 pm

This is genius! :)

26 Lisa @ A Room with A View September 29, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Amazing selection and I like how you can see everything. Certainly organized now – well done on that front…it can get overwhelming.

27 Pam September 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm

TENSION RODS. Genius. Pure genius.

28 Rose September 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Oh man that looks soooooooo nice! I to am TRYING to get mine organized! Will have to see IF I have some where that I can put a tension rod!

29 NanaDiana September 29, 2011 at 6:48 pm

GREAT idea- What are you going to do in all your spare time?;>) xo Diana

30 Leslie September 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Love the idea of using tension rods! I may just have to do this with my wrapping paper!

31 Diane September 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Hi Leslie-

That is a brilliant idea. I have a corner filled with it all stuffed into an urn. Now I have to figure out where to put it – perhaps at the top of a small coat closet in my foyer. The width would be good for the length of the wrapping paper. – On boy now I am excited!!!

32 Linsey @THE FARMHOUSE PORCH September 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

What an astounding craft room! You could moonlight as a professional organizer! I want that room! hahaha

33 Britt @ Dreamy Spaces September 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Wow that is a lot of ribbons. Beautiful! What a cool craft space! Think I need to buy a house now so I can make a cool craft space like that!!

34 Shauna@Satori Design for Living September 30, 2011 at 4:25 pm

My collection of ribbons is growing and I’ve always wanted to do something like this. You’ve inspired me to finally get it done. Great work!

35 Becki October 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

I have my ribbon on a tension rod and I’m glad to know about using the straight pins! Love your organization of your craft room!!!

36 Katharine October 2, 2011 at 9:05 am

I love your craft closet! I’m swooning with envy. Is your fireplace (previous post) in your dining room? I saw your dining hutch on the opposite wall. Great photograph with the pumpkins and chandelier in the reflection.

37 Diane October 2, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hi Katherine-

The mantel is in my dining room is just that – a mantel – no fireplace behind it, but wouldn’t that be nice. I would use the room much more if we could sit around the table and enjoy a fire while dining- it would add the perfect ambiance! The mantel has a story – you can read more about it here.

38 Janel Hutton October 3, 2011 at 10:27 am

What a great space you have! And the extra organization will make it sooo easy for you come holiday time! Love the tension rod idea!

39 Stephanie@cre8tive October 3, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Oh Trax is so darn cute, bet you can’t get too mad at him. Great idea on the tension rods, but I wouldn’t expect anything less from you :) I saw someone on Pinterest use tension rods for pot lid dividers, seems those rods are pretty useful for more than just a cafe curtain!

40 gail October 6, 2011 at 7:40 pm

creative minds are rarely neat people! :)
I love your ribbon storage AND your craft room!
gail

41 Sarah January 31, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I wish we had a craft closet like that!