How To Create a Monogram Using Microsoft Word

by Diane Henkler on 03/08/2013

This is Part 2 in a series of 3 about Decorating Ideas Using DIY Monograms.  In my post yesterday, I showed you how I took a monogram that I made on my computer into a way to decorate objects around your house or to embellish a gift.

Today I am going to show you how to create a monogram in Word.  Click here to go to my post on how to Make a Monogram in Photoshop Elements.

Since posting about a Monogram Wreath tutorial earlier this year, one of the most frequently asked questions I receive is  -” I don’t have Photoshop, can I make a monogram in a word processing program?”    The answer is yes.    I didn’t know how to do it in MS Word, but played around until I created a monogram.

Completed.png

I am familiar with Microsoft Word and Elements software programs, but I am sure there are other programs that will work. To make the monograms, you need to be able to move the type layers or text boxes, make them transparent,  and overlap them.

No matter what program you are using, you first have to download the font you want to use.  I have posted where you can download them for free and how to install fonts on your computer.  You can find more font links in my sidebar.

Tomorrow I will post the 3rd part of the series. It will be list of free monogram fonts to download.    Fonts that work the best for making monograms have letters that are vertical -  not slanted.

For this post I am using the font Monogram KK.

Working With Text Boxes

If you are new to working with text boxes in Word – making them is easy, moving and sizing them takes a little practice.   Every text box has a frame around it with grab/size buttons. When you click inside the text box, the frame will appear with buttons at each corner.  Clicking on the buttons is how you size and move the text boxes around on the page.

To move a text box:  Hover your mouse over one of the buttons and wait for the 4-sided arrow symbol to appear; once it does – click and drag.

To resize a text box:  Hover your mouse over one of the buttons and wait for the 2-sided arrow symbol to appear, once it does – click and drag to desired size.

Making a Monogram To Print Using Microsoft Word:

I use Microsoft Word 2007.  The version you have may look a bit different, but the steps will be similar.  If you have any questions about your version – Google it – “How to fill a text box in Microsoft Word 2012” or whatever it is you are trying to find out.  The answers are out there.

I tried to be as detailed as possible and have included a lot of screen shots. Don’t be afraid. If you use Word – it will be easy.

Determine what color and size you want the font and entire monogram to be.   The center letter is usually larger when using script fonts.   For this tutorial – my center letter is 300 pts and the left and right letters are 200 pts.

1. Open  – NewBlank document.

How To Create a Monogram Using MS Word

2.  On the –View Tab– check Rulers and Gridlines

How-to-make-a-monogram-With-Microsoft-Word

3.  A ruler will pop up on the top and sides of your work area.  Gridlines will appear. These will help you align the letters, bullets, or any flourishes you add.   The gridlines will not show up when you print.

How To Create a Monogram Using MS Word

4.  Click Tab – Insert, Then Text Box – Simple Text Box. If you don’t see the drop down text box choices appear, you may see a menu appear that says – Draw text box. Click on that. A plus sign will show up on your page. Click on the plus sign and drag it to create a text box.

How To Create a Monogram Using MS Word

5.  Text boxes sometimes open up with text in them. Just click inside them to remove the text.  When working in text boxes you will see a tab along the top row of tools. It says Text Box Tools.  When navigating throughout creating the monogram, different tabs will show up when you are adding different elements.   It can be confusing at first thinking it disappeared, but it has not  – you are just working in the fonts or colors and the tabs at the top change.

How To Create a Monogram Using MS Word

6.  Choose your font and size.  (When working on font and size – you will find these selections under the Home Tab.)  I like to do this first, but sometimes Word changes it on you. If that happens type the letter you want into the text box first, then choose the font and size.  The size drop-down menu only goes to 72 pts.  To create a custom size.  Click and clear the number in the white font size box and add the size you need.    Click –Enter.

How To Create a Monogram Using MS Word

7.  If you change the size of your font and part of it gets hidden in the text box – click one of the corner buttons on the text box and drag to the size needed to reveal the entire letter again.

How To Create a Monogram Using MS Word

8.  To create a bullet to place on either side of the monogram. 1. Make sure you are in Text Box Tools.  Left click on the text box in which you want the bullet.  A pop-up will appear.  2.  Choose the bullet and line symbol at the end of the pop up bar.  3.  A new pop up will appear – click on Bullet – then click -Enter.   The bullet may not be the size you need. To change it- highlight the bullet  by clicking on it, then go to the Home TabFont size bar to change it, then click – Enter.

How to move text boxes in Microsoft Word

9.  Text boxes are filled with color when you create them. They need to be transparent so you can make the letters overlap.

How to make transparent text boxes in Microsoft Word

10. To change the text boxes to transparent.  Make sure the Text Tool Tab is open. Click on FormatShape Fill.  A drop-down will appear. Choose – No Fill.

Repeat the steps for all the text boxes.

Microsoft Word Monograms

The gridlines will show up behind the letter after you choose “No Fill”

Monograms in Microsoft Word

11.  Now you need to remove the outlines of the textboxes.  Go to – Textbox ToolsFormatShape Outline.  A pop-up will appear – choose – No Outline.  Repeat for all the text boxes.

Printable Monograms

When you click on the letter after you removed the outline of the text box around it, you will see a faded outline of the text box appear. This will allow you to still  move them around.  To move – click on the button and drag.

Printable Monograms

Note I still have one bullet with the outline around it. I have to remove it or it will show up when I print.

Monograms to Make

12. To align and overlap the letters – Highlight the letter to show the faded outline of the text box. Hover over the top button on the text box and click and drag to move it where you want.  (When I first learned how to move text boxes – this was the hardest thing for me to master.    You have to hover just right over the button to get the 4-sided arrow to show up. When it does – drag the box where needed.)

Monogram tutorial

You can print it out now or if you want an outline around the letters  – keep following this tutorial.

To Create a Circle Around the Letters

13.  Click on the Insert tab – Shapes. A drop-down will appear.  Click on the- Oval

14. My screen moved to Drawing Tools when I drew this circle.  Move your cursor to the top right-hand corner of your page and then drag it to create a circle over the letters.  To resize the circle – hover over any of the buttons that surround it and drag to the size needed.   You can stretch the shape into a perfect circle by doing this.

Decorating Ideas using Monograms

15. You want to remove the white background – go to FormatShape Fill. A drop-down will appear – choose No Fill.

Tutorial on making monograms

16. To change the thickness of the outline around the circle.   Go to – Format Shape OutlineWeight.  A pop-up will appear – choose the size line you want – click – Enter.

Repeat the steps if you want a double line around your monogram.

Once you click on No Fill – you will have a double outline or border around the monogram.

Monograms to make and decorate your home

You are done -Print it.

To Change the Font and Background Colors

1.  In the Home Tab – click on the square with the “A” on it to change the color of the letters.   Highlight each letter one at a time to change the color.

How to make Monograms

2. To change the outline color of the circle.  Make sure you have the Text Tools Tab opened.  Highlight the textbox the circle outline is in.  Go to – Shape Outline – and click on the color you want – click on- Enter.  There is an option for more line types. Click on it if you want to change the thickness of the outline while changing the color.

Computer Monogram Art

Color changed.

Monogram making tutorial

You are done;  just send the file to your printer to print.

To change the background color.  First make sure the color of the letters will show up against the background color you choose.   I changed mine to white.

How to make a monogram on a computer

Don’t forget to change the outline color as well.

Monogram

You have to create a new circle to fill with color.  Go to Drawing ToolsFormatChoose ShapeOval.  Move cursor to page. Click and drag to create the circle.

how to create a monogram

Fill the circle with color.  Choose – Shape Fill – choose a colorEnter.

Preppy Monograms

To get the letters to show up again.  In Drawing Tools.  Click on the circle text box on your page.  Go to – Send To Back. Click on it – Enter.  The circle will move behind the letters.

Script Monogram

To add a border around a filled circle – add another circle outline on top of the letters with “No Fill”.  Choose – Shape – Oval . Click and drag over the page to create it.  Change the line color to white.

Monogram maker

A monogram with a color filled background.

Mongram tutorial

Print it.

Tips:

• I print out the monograms on everyday computer paper and use an ink jet printer. I select Best or Presentation mode in my printer preferences.
  • Practice moving the text boxes to get the hang of moving and resizing them. Once you understand how to do it, the rest it easy.
  • Another way to make a bullet symbol:  Using a symbol font such as Wingdings. Pressing L will give you a bullet, though it might be a larger size than your other text. Simply select the bullet, and adjust the size as needed.
  • Every printer is different, but you may have the option to Custom size before printing.  Experiment to find out.

Pin It

1 Comfyheaven pillows- Anita March 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I love this post, this is such a great help to me when I am designing my monogram pillows. thanks for posting this.

2 Donna March 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Thanks Dianne! I never thought of this.

3 Diane March 9, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Thank you for such a clear explanation of how to do this in MS Word! I can’t wait to try it. I really appreciate your generosity with all the tips in your tutorials so we can hopefully have similar beautiful results.

4 CindieR March 10, 2013 at 12:45 am

Thank you so much. I followed your step by step instructions and even though I was using MSWord 2010, it worked beautifully. For all of the years I’ve been using Word, I’ve never done a monogram! Thank you, thank you!
Cindie

5 Kim o March 10, 2013 at 9:02 am

Your tutorials are fabulous! I refer to you all the time. You leave no stone unturned, which I personally love. So many tutorials can leave you crying in the dark. I had my husband reading your chalk paint article yesterday and I was singing accolades to you. Thanks!!

6 Diane Henkler March 10, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Thanks Kim – X0 I love blogging and sharing what I know. It is what I was meant to do. Thanks so much for your comment – knowing that I am helping others in a positive way is very rewarding.

7 Femme Ménage March 11, 2013 at 11:08 am

Hello Diane, many thanks. You give the link to add fonts if we need. That’s perfect.

8 Amy @ RockPaperScissorsInvitations.com March 13, 2013 at 6:13 pm

another amazing post on monograms … so kind of you to share your knowledge … i am sure alot of time went into figuring it out …. thanks for the post!

9 Penny March 16, 2013 at 2:59 am

Diane.

I wanted to let you know that I love your site and your creativity! You are wonderful. Thanks for sharing with everyone!

10 Diane Henkler March 17, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Hi Penny – Thanks so much for leaving me such a nice comment. XO It is so worthwhile being able to inspire others and connect with them through blogging. I know it is what I was meant to do. I truly appreciate you taking the time to connect with me – You made my day!

11 Cindy March 20, 2013 at 11:37 am

You have done an amazing job with this tutorial! It says so much about you: that you love to teach—anytime you share your knowledge, you teach; that you are dedicated to getting everything right; and that you are willing to spend however much time it takes to present everything in a clear, useful way.
I am a tech writer and understand everything you’ve done to create this truly useful tutorial: writing content; creating screen captures with callouts, arrows, and text; organizing everything. Brava! Job well done!
Thank you!
This tutorial exemplifies the obour dedication to getting everything right, and conveys the
You have done an amazing job with this

12 Cindy March 20, 2013 at 11:38 am

Thank you!

13 Cindy March 20, 2013 at 11:41 am

Can you remove my first comment (#11) and then this one? I hadn’t realized that my comment contained text below what was visible in the window.
As a writer, I tend to put down words in any order and then move them around. Apparently, I left evidence!

14 Kelly March 23, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Hi Diane,

Thanks for sharing, here I am thinking GIMP (www.gimp.org) was the only way to do any graphic design. I love the note book feel of your site.

15 Karen April 5, 2013 at 8:24 am

Thank you so much. I am so excited that I can do this now. Your instructions were great even for us technologically challenged people.

16 Sharon April 15, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Hi!
What brand hot knife did you use on the foam board? I have already returned one because it did a terrible job!

Thanks!

17 Diane Henkler April 15, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Hi Sharon – My hot knife is by Walnut Hollow. It has a blade that you can change – which is nice since they do get dull. I also have a wand type cutter. This works Ok, but is not a precise as the hot knife. Using a hot knife does take some practice. I have many years of working in display where I mastered the technique. I am not as good as some of the display people I worked with who could cut out amazing shapes with it effortlessly.

18 Christie May 5, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I need to monogram some birthday gifts. Never done this before but after reading your instructions, I plan to try it. Thanks so much for picture and details. God bless you for your ability to convey instructions in a clear and understandably manner even for novices like me!!

19 Diane June 6, 2013 at 10:35 am

Thank you so much for teaching how to make a monogram in Word I love it and can’t wait to see what I can do next! I love your work you are such a talented lady!

~Diane K

20 Rosemary June 6, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Can no. 11 be converted to embroidery machine font?

21 Kathy August 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm

The tutorial was amazing and it looks wonderful on screen, but when I go to print it the letters go under the oval so that 2/3 of the middle letter are out. Has anyone had this problem or been able to fix this?

22 Kathy August 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Never mind, I copied the screen and put it in pain and printed it from there and it worked well although the size was reduced a little.

23 Diane Henkler August 6, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Hi Kathy – Happy to hear that you figured out a fix. I think what happened is that your letters are on a layer or text box under the oval, so that when they print out, it is hidden. If you click on the text box the letter is in, then go to Drawing Tools, Format, Postion - then choose bring to front. It may solve the problem.

24 Kathy August 6, 2013 at 4:22 pm

It’s not hidden, it’s just partially out of the circle, but on the bottom.

25 Kim August 26, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Thanks so much for this tutorial! It has helped me a lot! I am having some trouble, though. I made my monogram the way I wanted it, and then increased the size of each letter by a certain ratio (I’m trying to make it pretty large to frame over my bed), which has left me printing out each letter one at a time. I’m eventually going to print them on special rub-on transfer paper, so it’s okay that they will be individual letters. I’m using the same font as you. My problem is this – each time I try to print the middle letter (at a whopping 750 size…as big as my page will fit), it puts a big gap before the letter at the top of the page and ends up chopping the bottom of the letter off. I hope that made sense. I’ve tried adjusting it every way I can think of, but I just can’t seem to figure out how to fix this problem. Do you have any idea how to fix it?

26 Amy August 27, 2013 at 1:32 pm

You covered everything. Perfect on my first attempt thanks to you! I don’t leave comments usually, but couldn’t pass up the opportunity to thank you!

27 Melissa October 5, 2013 at 6:33 pm

This is a fabulous post, but there is a much easier way to make a monogram in MS Word. With the font Monogram KK, it will automatically size the letters for you. Type the left and right initials of your monogram in lowercase, and type the middle initial in uppercase. The alignment looks perfect and it saves a lot of time and the effort of having to create three separate text boxes!

28 Diane Henkler October 10, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Hi Melissa – I will try it out – thanks for the tip.

29 CBW December 21, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I make sterling silver monogram jewelry and I have been creating my patterns in the free photo editing software, Photoscape. Thanks for another great way to accomplish the same thing. I also appreciate your favorite fonts lists. I’m working on another font for my monograms and these were great inspiration!

30 Sandy January 19, 2014 at 10:53 am

This was just fabulous and so easy to follow. Thank you so much!! I use word a great deal but completely forgot to make the fill transparent so I could over lap!!! I was losing my patience until I found this!!!

31 Rebecca February 25, 2014 at 4:00 am

Thank you SOOO much for how you describe doing this! You made it so easy to follow! I used this to print a letter to put on my son’s baseball hat for a school project. Couldn’t possibly have figured it out on my own.

32 Elle April 7, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Just discovered your blog and following the step-by-step instructions, I was able to figure this out within 15 minutes! Do you know if it is possible to print the monograms on heat transferable paper to iron-on to clothes?

33 Diane Henkler April 7, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Hi Elle -

I don’t see why not. If your printer has the right ink to print on the transfer paper and the details of the letters can be cut out smoothly it should work.

34 Andrea April 21, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! This was such an easy tutorial to follow!