Furniture Makeover: Weathered Driftwood Furniture Finish

Last week, I gave you a glimpse of my dining room table that I had just completed making over using a driftwood furniture finish.  Today I will show you the process I used to make the transformation.

How-to-create-a-weathered-driftwood-finish-on-wood-furniture

My dining room table is a hand-me-down from my mom and dad. I like the style of the table, but not the orange-tone finish.

Here is the table before:

Table-Makeover-using-Driftwood-Weathered-Finish-Stain

and the after…

Table-makeover-using-Weathered-Driftwood-Stain

I love it – it is exactly the finish I wanted. The best part – it was easy and inexpensive to do.

How-to-stain-wood-furniture-to-a-driftwood-finish

I love the look of salvaged, driftwood, or greyed-stained wood and if I had money to buy all new furniture, I would acquire a few pieces of it.  So when I was recently asked if I would like to try out a new product called, Driftwood Weathered Wood Finish,  I was intrigued and said yes, thinking it may get me the look I want at a fraction of the cost of buying new.

I was sent two packages and some liming wax.  I read the directions  – all you have to do is add water to the powder and brush it on – EZ!  My type of project.  I saw a few photos of what the mixture/stain would do and decided to go for it.

I had to strip the table first.

The-best-Furniture-Stripper

I used CitraStrip after reading in the comments section in the post that I wrote about stripping my kitchen table that many of you recommend it.  Now that I have used it – I agree.  Thanks for the recommendation.  If you are going to strip furniture, this is product to use.   It comes in a spray version, too  – which is great to use on vertical pieces with lots of grooves.

How-to-strip-furniture-tutorial

I used clean cardboard boxes that I found in the dumpster behind my dollar store and a shower curtain liner that I bought inside the dollar store to protect the floor.

I applied the CitraStrip and let it sit overnight. In the morning, the old finish came right off with a plastic spatula and a steel wool pad.

How-to-strip-and-stain-furniture

After I removed all the stripper, I went over the table with a rag dampened in Odorless Mineral Spirits.  Then went over it again with a damp rag to rinse.

Driftwood-Weathered-Wood-Finish

When the table was dry, I brushed on a coat of the Driftwood Finish.

How To Make the Driftwood Weathered Wood Finish/Stain:

How-to-weather-bare-or-new-wood-furniture-with-stain

Pour the contents of one packet into a glass jar with a lid.  I wanted a very light stain, so I added 4 cups of water to the powder and mixed it well.  (If you want a darker stain, use less water.)

Appy-Driftwood-Weathered-Finish-to-Bare-wood-furniture

Simply brush the mixture evenly over your surface.  Wipe away any excess with a lint free rag.

How-to-make-bare-wood-look-weathered

It dries quickly. Repeat until you have the surface covered.

Driftwood-Weathered-Wood-Finish.technique

In this photo, you can see from left to right:  bare wood, wet Driftwood Finish, dry Driftwood Finish.  As you can see – it adds a grey tone to the wood.  It removes the orange tint.

How-to-Weather-Wood-Furniture-Tutorial

Liming wax (white wax) and greying wax is sold along with the stain.  I may wax the table in the future, but for now I am going to leave it just like this.

I used DIY chalk paint and clear wax to paint the underside and legs of the table.  I used the Calcium Carbonate Powder recipe to make the chalk paint.

Some tips when working with the Driftwood Weathered Wood Finish:

• It will stain your fingers, so wear rubber gloves and protect all surfaces you don’t want to stain.
  • Experiment first as the stain will look different on different types and pieces of wood.
  • I received 2 packs of stain. I only used one pack and a fraction of the mix for the table. It goes a long way. Cost $12.99 a pack.
  • It takes about 24 hours for the color to fully develop, so if you don’t want it too dark – only apply one coat, let dry and then after 24 hours, if you want it darker, apply another coat.
  • Applying poly or varnish is going to darken and change the color – use wax to protect.  The company sells liming wax as well as greying wax.  You could also just use a clear wax like Johnsons over it to protect.

You can find out more about about the Driftwood Weathered Wood Finish on their website.

How-to-create-a-weathered-finish-on-new-wood.

This dining room table was one of my Mom’s favorite pieces of furniture. She enjoyed decorating and I know I got my designing eye from her.  She passed away soon after I started blogging, but I know she would like the table’s new look. I can hear her saying while waving her arms up in the air in excitement…Oooohh!… Ooohhh!… can you do that on something for me.  XO

Now I have to tackle the chairs.  I have a lineup  of chairs to do  – the 3 in my kitchen and now add 6 more.

I see a lot of chair painting in my near future.

_____

More furniture stripping projects:

Furniture Finishing Tips:  Wood Stripping Basics

Stripping Furniture

How-to-weather-wood-furniture

Comments

1. Donna Wright says

How can any person be so talented? I am going to put this on my to do list! I love the look also. I so look forward to checking my e-mail each day to see if I have something from you. I lo-o-o-o-ve everything you do.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Donna Wright

2. Merri Jo says

Marvelous transformation, Diane! I just love the new finish, and I can’t wait to get some of this Weathered Wood Finish. I can think of several projects this would be perfect for!

3. Lia says

Diane this is fantastic! So fantastic, in fact, I went straight to the website and bought it! I cannot wait to try it out. Thank you so much for the demo, your table looks wonderful!

Hi Diane,
    I am new to you & it must be an omen that I found you. I have been wanting to strip & bleach my breakfast room table. Now I know how! I found u through google plus. I added u & will FB like as well. My blog is http://www.mysoulfulhome.com. Come on over for a visit!
    Thanks,
    Kelly

5. Kim says

thank you so much for posting! I’ve been looking for directions to do this! Can’t wait to try it.

6. sona says

I have a question. Is this product a type of paint (a coating) or is it actually changing the color of the wood?

7. Temme says

Did you refinish your table in your house? I love the look of the table and when I went to Driftwood Weathered Wood Finish’s website to read more about the process, they suggested having the piece sit outside in the sun to enhance the color and dry.

I really would rather not take apart my table to bring it outside. What did you do? Does the stain have a harsh smell?

The table looks wonderful!

Hi Temme – I did not take it outside. I stained it right in my dining room. I believe if you want the stain to darken even more than it naturally will – you can place the piece in the sun. It has a faint smell – to me it smelled like a Brillo pad. No chemical or harsh smell at all. It is like brushing on tinted water.

8. Kimberly says

I’m considering doing this to my own dinning table which has the wood grain running in several different directions. I’d like to know if your brush strokes show when using this product. If so, would you recommend taping off each area of different grain direction and brushing on in the same direction?

9. Shelley says

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself! A month or so ago I saw a piece of furniture in a store with a similar finish and loved it. I searched online for hours trying to find a diy to achieve the look but didn’t know what to call it and as a result came up pretty much empty handed.But still that “look” was haunting me….and here it is! Driftwood! Who knew! I’m so excited to try it! Thanks for the great info!

10. Cheri says

Wow, I love this look! Thank you for sharing it. I always enjoy your tutorials, you write them so well. Now I’m hunting for an appropriate piece to try this on! :)

Hello, I finally got around to trying this and my table came out awesome. I am so impressed. My husband did some heavy duty sanding as we really wanted to remove all the orange from the oak. Thanks so much for sharing your technique, it was very easy to follow and we are very greatful to you.
    Thanks
    Sheila Falcucci
    Rustic Revival

Hi Candace – Most liming wax is white or pastel based. Grayish white would work. I just got a sample of a turquoise liming wax that is not out on the market yet. Even though it looks turquoise, it goes on mostly a light white, due to the fact that it has lime in in. Do you plan to use it on raw or stripped wood? Liming wax looks best on raw wood as it gets into the grain and brings out the character in the piece.

So cute! You said you used a DIY chalk paint, what was the “recipe” you used? I’m looking to make my own chalk paint but am afraid ill use the wrong concoction.

13. Anne says

WOW! WOW! I’ve always wanted to do this to our very dark mahogany dining table, but just don’t have the guts for I’m sure I’ll somehow mess it up. This looks so easy though, and the final result is amazing. Great job!

14. Alice says

What brand of odorless mineral spirits did you use? I looked up Klean brand but it has terrible reviews.

Hi Alice – I used the Klean-Strip that comes in a white plastic container with a green and white label. It worked well for me. I have used it for a few projects and would buy it again.