Furniture Makeover: Weathered Driftwood Furniture Finish

Last week, I gave you a glimpse of my dining room table that I had just completed making over using a driftwood furniture finish.  Today I will show you the process I used to make the transformation.

How-to-create-a-weathered-driftwood-finish-on-wood-furniture

My dining room table is a hand-me-down from my mom and dad. I like the style of the table, but not the orange-tone finish.

Here is the table before:

Table-Makeover-using-Driftwood-Weathered-Finish-Stain

and the after…

Table-makeover-using-Weathered-Driftwood-Stain

I love it – it is exactly the finish I wanted. The best part – it was easy and inexpensive to do.

How-to-stain-wood-furniture-to-a-driftwood-finish

I love the look of salvaged, driftwood, or greyed-stained wood and if I had money to buy all new furniture, I would acquire a few pieces of it.  So when I was recently asked if I would like to try out a new product called, Driftwood Weathered Wood Finish,  I was intrigued and said yes, thinking it may get me the look I want at a fraction of the cost of buying new.

I was sent two packages and some liming wax.  I read the directions  – all you have to do is add water to the powder and brush it on – EZ!  My type of project.  I saw a few photos of what the mixture/stain would do and decided to go for it.

I had to strip the table first.

The-best-Furniture-Stripper

I used CitraStrip after reading in the comments section in the post that I wrote about stripping my kitchen table that many of you recommend it.  Now that I have used it – I agree.  Thanks for the recommendation.  If you are going to strip furniture, this is product to use.   It comes in a spray version, too  – which is great to use on vertical pieces with lots of grooves.

How-to-strip-furniture-tutorial

I used clean cardboard boxes that I found in the dumpster behind my dollar store and a shower curtain liner that I bought inside the dollar store to protect the floor.

I applied the CitraStrip and let it sit overnight. In the morning, the old finish came right off with a plastic spatula and a steel wool pad.

How-to-strip-and-stain-furniture

After I removed all the stripper, I went over the table with a rag dampened in Odorless Mineral Spirits.  Then went over it again with a damp rag to rinse.

Driftwood-Weathered-Wood-Finish

When the table was dry, I brushed on a coat of the Driftwood Finish.

How To Make the Driftwood Weathered Wood Finish/Stain:

How-to-weather-bare-or-new-wood-furniture-with-stain

Pour the contents of one packet into a glass jar with a lid.  I wanted a very light stain, so I added 4 cups of water to the powder and mixed it well.  (If you want a darker stain, use less water.)

Appy-Driftwood-Weathered-Finish-to-Bare-wood-furniture

Simply brush the mixture evenly over your surface.  Wipe away any excess with a lint free rag.

How-to-make-bare-wood-look-weathered

It dries quickly. Repeat until you have the surface covered.

Driftwood-Weathered-Wood-Finish.technique

In this photo, you can see from left to right:  bare wood, wet Driftwood Finish, dry Driftwood Finish.  As you can see – it adds a grey tone to the wood.  It removes the orange tint.

How-to-Weather-Wood-Furniture-Tutorial

Liming wax (white wax) and greying wax is sold along with the stain.  I may wax the table in the future, but for now I am going to leave it just like this.

I used DIY chalk paint and clear wax to paint the underside and legs of the table.  I used the Calcium Carbonate Powder recipe to make the chalk paint.

Some tips when working with the Driftwood Weathered Wood Finish:

• It will stain your fingers, so wear rubber gloves and protect all surfaces you don’t want to stain.
  • Experiment first as the stain will look different on different types and pieces of wood.
  • I received 2 packs of stain. I only used one pack and a fraction of the mix for the table. It goes a long way. Cost $12.99 a pack.
  • It takes about 24 hours for the color to fully develop, so if you don’t want it too dark – only apply one coat, let dry and then after 24 hours, if you want it darker, apply another coat.
  • Applying poly or varnish is going to darken and change the color – use wax to protect.  The company sells liming wax as well as greying wax.  You could also just use a clear wax like Johnsons over it to protect.

You can find out more about about the Driftwood Weathered Wood Finish on their website.

How-to-create-a-weathered-finish-on-new-wood.

This dining room table was one of my Mom’s favorite pieces of furniture. She enjoyed decorating and I know I got my designing eye from her.  She passed away soon after I started blogging, but I know she would like the table’s new look. I can hear her saying while waving her arms up in the air in excitement…Oooohh!… Ooohhh!… can you do that on something for me.  XO

Now I have to tackle the chairs.  I have a lineup  of chairs to do  – the 3 in my kitchen and now add 6 more.

I see a lot of chair painting in my near future.

_____

More furniture stripping projects:

Furniture Finishing Tips:  Wood Stripping Basics

Stripping Furniture

How-to-weather-wood-furniture

Comments

1. Eva says

Hi Diane, I found your table makeover on pinterest and I got so excited… it looks amazing! This is exactly what I want to do to my dining table & chairs! I am just making a list of all the materials I have to buy and I was wandering if the mineral spirits is a necessary step (I couldn’t figure out what it’s supposed to do, and if it’s not absolutely necessary I would like to cut back a little on time, money etc.). I’m just so new to all these…
    Thanks for all the info and the pictures!!

Thanks Eva – The mineral spirits are the last step of the stripping process. It cleans and removes any lasting stain/poly residue from the wood. If you strip your table and chairs well and are sure that the stain and poly is completely gone, then it is OK not to use it.

2. Kelly Brown says

Hi there! This is so wonderful. I really want to do this to a bedroom suit of furniture. It’s special to our family but definitely that outdated oak orange color. I wanted to ask if you had to do any sanding? Or did the stripper left on over night take are of all of that? I’m trying to gear up for the project and want to make sure I have everything I may need. Thank you so much!

Hi Kelly – I did light sanding on the table top with 160 grit sandpaper on a hand sanding block after I stripped the finish off. I spent about 10 minutes – enough to make sure the surface was smooth and even before applying the driftwood finish.

3. Kelly Brown says

Thanks so much. I left the CitraStrip on overnight and now it’s somewhat dry and I can’t get the strip off. Did you run into any of this? Do you have any insight? I was thinking about using the mineral spirits to dampen it, but wasn’t sure. Thanks so much!

Hi Kelly – You did not do anything wrong- you may just have to put more stripper right over top of the dried areas again to loosen the previous layer of dried stripper. Mineral Spirits will also help wet the stripper again so that it is moist enough to remove. CitraStrip also sells an After Wash that may help dampen it enough so you can scrap it off. I always leave CitraStrip on for 12 – 24 hours. Maybe add a thicker layer so it does not dry out as fast. If it is very dry in your home or outside – this could dry the stripper faster than normal and making it stick.

Love this! U are truly inspiring! I love the dollar store supply run ;) great idea for my indoor projects. ( it’s been raining a lot) I want to do this to my nightstands. Thanks and please stop by my site.

5. Kelly Brown says

Hi there!! I wanted to ask you a question- I ended up deciding to paint the furniture with Annie Sloan chalk paint. I already bought the diy driftwood and am going to use it on something else. But, can I use the liming wax from the diy driftwood kit on the Annie Sloan? I wanted to because I already have it. Thanks so much!!

Hi Kelly – Yes you can use it – it is just normal liming wax. I would do a test run with it on a scrap piece of wood first – just to get the hang of applying and buffing it.

6. Ruth Wentzel says

Can I poly over the driftwood finish if I don’t use the wax? I have found that the liming wax stains easily.
    Thanks!

Hi Ruth – I left my table unsealed, so I am not sure if you can use poly or not without changing the color. I would have to experiment first to see. I will ask the brand to see what they say and get back to you.

7. Heather Krull says

Hi! I found this on Pinterest and loved it so much that I ordered the stain. I stained the top and painted the bottom just like yours. In fact my table looks nearly just like yours. I absolutely loved it but I have a problem! I waxed the top with paste wax for protection and after one meal, there were water and oil stains.

• Heather Krull says

I sanded the wax off and tarted over with poly but the poly made it extremely dark. So I’ve now sanded all of that off and in the process took so much finish off that I’m restraining it. How should I protect this beautiful piece from my 6yr old? Is there another wax you know of that would protect and not darken the color of my table so much?

• Heather Krull says

Yes it was polycrylic. Has your table held up well with nothing over it? I’d be afraid of it staining horribly as it already did even with the wax on it. A few of the spots won’t even sand off. Thank you for the reply! I guess I’ll try some other waxes. If I could attach my picture to show you what the poly did, I would to discourage others from trying it as I did.

• Ruth Wentzel says

I have exactly the same question about the finish – we put liming wax on and it stains like crazy. There must be some solution to this…did the poly you used have color in it?

• Heather Krull says

I used clear polycrylic. No color and its destroyed my pretty finish. Don’t do it Ruth! I even tried waxing a spot and then poly over that thinking the poly might not a sort and change the color so much but that didn’t work either. I’ve not found a solution and don’t have much longer. I have company coming over for thanksgiving so if I’ve not figured something out before then, I’ll have to just paint the top of my table to match the legs. Makes me so sad to think about! I know that Diane has contacted the manufacturer for help on this issue. I’m remaining hopeful.

8. Heather Krull says