Decorate your kitchen or dining room in a colorful way this Easter by making a plastic Easter egg trimmed tablecloth. The way the eggs are attached make it easy to make and launder.
Post Updated: 03/05/2020
Plastic Easter Egg Trimmed Table Cloth
As winter ends, I enjoy finding ways to add Spring color to my home. Flower and colorful Easter eggs are the fastest way to add it since Easter is on its way.
Why do Plastic Easter Eggs Have Holes in Them?
I didn’t start out to make this Easter egg trimmed tablecloth, but when I went to buy a few bags of colorful plastic eggs to make something else, I was sad to see that every store I went to, the plastic eggs all had two holes in the top and bottom.
I assumed they were just part of the mold that the eggs are made from nowadays, but after doing some research I found that the holes are intentional so children won’t suffocate if one gets stuck in their mouth. This is why two off-center holes are needed, at each end, not just one center one.
After thinking about the hole-y eggs for a while, I thought to myself, “how can I make the holes part of something decorative, to take advantage of them instead of looking at them as a flaw?”
After some experimenting, I came up with a colorful way to trim a tablecloth for Easter. It is very easy to do since you don’t need any tools, just the plastic eggs and a package of thin wire earring hoops that you can buy at the craft store for $3.00.
How To Make an Easter Egg Trimmed Tablecloth
- Plastic Easter Eggs with two holes on the top. (Target, Walmart, The Dollar Tree)
- Hoop Earrings – I bought them in the jewelry making aisle at Michaels
- Optional: Sharpie Laundry Marker
Here is a close-up shot of the wire hoop earring. There are a few different sizes of hoops in the package. I used the smallest ones. They are very thin and easy to bend.
- Open one wire hoop earring and a plastic egg. Thread the end of the hoop through the holes in the egg. Push the end through the ring on the other end of the wire earring hoop.
2. Repeat for all your eggs. They should look like this.
How to Attach Plastic Easter Eggs to Tablecloth
1. To attach the eggs to the tablecloth, simply open the end of the wire hoop earring and push it through the cloth, it should go right through. Put end back through ring end and squeeze to close. The thinness of the wire will not damage your tablecloth.
2. To keep the project easy to complete, I didn’t take the time to measure the amount of space between each egg. Instead I used the even falling folds of the cloth to place the eggs.
How to Wash The Easter Egg Trimmed Tablecloth After Use
When you need to launder the tablecloth, removing the eggs is simple by bending the wire and removing it from the fabric.
- TIP: If you plan to use the table again with the Easter eggs, consider using a laundry pen to make dots on the underside of the cloth where each egg gets attached. This way you won’t have to measure the placement again.
If you like to set a colorful Easter dining table, you may also like to add these cute free printable Easter Bunny Napkin Rings to the table.
Sharing this Easter Egg Trimmed Tablecloth over at Tip Junkie Tip Me Tuesday.