Metal Christmas Tree Skirt

by Diane Henkler on 11/30/2012

Are you familiar with this scene?

Chritmas Disasters

So much so that there has even been a book written about it…

The Cat That Climbed The Christmas Tree  Book

In our house, we live to tell the tale, but the perpetrator in our house is named Trax, not Benny, like the cat in the book.  Before Trax there were Hobie and Mittens – all kitties who love playing in the Christmas tree.

We have seen more than one tree go crashing to the floor, until recently when I bought a wide sturdy new tree stand.

The best Christmas-Tree-stand

No more crashing trees, but it is not a tree skirt friendly stand.

I would love to put my tree in an urn like this one, but I would have to wire the tree to the wall.  I am sure Trax would end up hanging himself on the wire.

Christmas Tree in Urn

unknown source

I dearly would like a basket like one of these, but the the Pottery Barn one would be too high, and both too cost prohibitive.

Christmas-Tree-Baskets

1. Pottery Barn  2.  Shop Terrain

I needed to find a way to hide the new wide stand while keeping Trax and his other four legged siblings  – Kindii, and Schnitzel from thinking that the water in the stand is the holiday watering hole.

I went to Home Depot and went down an aisle I never do  – Roofing and Siding. I found this small roll of metal sheet flashing called: 10” x 10’ Alum Valley for $8.

10 x 10 alum valley

When I got home, I began transforming it into something more interior-worthy.  I covered it with fabric and now I have the perfect decorative cover for the stand. Hides it and keeps pets away.

Christmas-Tree-skirt ideas

I chose to cover it with a textured neutral fabric that resembled the baskets as I want the tree to be the focus, not the stand, but imagine the possibilities – it is all up to you and your style and color scheme.

Fabrics

How To Make a Metal Christmas Tree Stand Cover

Supplies Needed:

1 roll of 10” x 10’ alum valley metal flashing
Scissors
Electrical or duct tape
Fabric
Spray glue
2 binder clips
Paper towel
Work gloves

Christmas-Tree-Skirt-Tutorial

1. Carefully unroll flashing. Wear a pair of work gloves as the edges can be sharp.  Measure around your tree stand to determine how long you will need your cover to be.  Add about 3-inches extra for overlap.

2.  Cut with scissors. It is thin and was very easy to cut.  There is a slightly oily residue on the metal, wipe it off with a paper towel.

3. Wrap electrical or duct tape along the edges to cover sharp edges. (This is only done to remove the sharp edge.)

DIY-Metal-Christmas-Tree-Skirt Tutorial

4. Cut your fabric to size, adding at least 2 inches all around.  Lay fabric right side down and spray with spray glue. Spray one side of flashing with glue. Let both get tacky and then attach the two.  Use your hands to smooth out any wrinkles to the outer edges.

5. Flip over to wrap the excess fabric to the back. Use spray glue along the edge of the flashing and back of fabric to adhere.  Cut corners as shown

6. Wrap corners as shown using spray glue as needed to adhere.

Roll the fabric covered flashing into a circle and use two binder clips where the ends meet, allowing for a little overlap.  This is the back of the cover.  It can be placed on before or after the tree is in the stand.  If doing it after, the bottom clip will be a bit tricky to get on, but it is doable.  (That’s the way I did it.)

Christmas Tree Skirt Ideas

The tree is not fully decorated yet but my daughter just finished putting on the lights. I plan to finish it over the weekend.

Christmas-Tree-Stand-Skirt Ideas to make

Pin It

1 Margo November 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm

What a brilliant idea! I love it!

2 pak November 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I am with Margo on this; a brilliant idea!

3 Yvonne @ StoneGable November 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Diane, I have the same dilemma! Every year I swaddle it with a swath of cloth… and every year it gets soggy! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your solution! It is beautiful at the base of your tree!!!!
I bought a big galvanized tub and the tree stand is going in that this year!!!!
I wish I would have seen this sooner!!!
Please share this at TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS next week! Link goes live Wednesday at 8:00 pm!
Brilliant!!!

4 Erin November 30, 2012 at 6:53 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the fabric you used – do you know the name??? thanks! amazing idea – just what i was looking for!!

5 Diane Henkler November 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Hi Erin – It got the fabric at my favorite dollar a yard fabric store. It was a remnant so I don’t know the name or manufacturer. There is nothing on the selvage either – like a name. It is upholstery weight with a nice woven texture. I covered pillows on my sofa with a similar fabric found at the same place.

6 Mary November 30, 2012 at 7:13 pm

What a great idea! I have 4 cats and they love to chew on the tree or hide out in it. I’ll definitely have to give this a try!

7 madeline November 30, 2012 at 11:35 pm

This would work really well if you have a train set up under the tree. It pays to wander the aisles in hardware stores, so many interesting items plus engage in conversation with the employees, they are a fount of information and if not busy always glad to chat about your project and offer advice. I’ve been saved from several mishaps (buying the wrong type of paint, etc) by talking to these folks.

8 Gail Piernas-Davenport December 1, 2012 at 12:19 am

This is genius! We just got one of those gigantic tree stands and I had no clue how to cover it. I grabbed some fabric from my stash to hide it, but this is much more elegant!

9 Lois December 1, 2012 at 7:10 am

What if you use an awl, punch holes on each side of the piece and lace it up like a pair of shoes? The edges of the holes would be sharp, but if you used a rope or heavier cording, it might work. There is no “wear”, because it doesn’t move after it is put into place. It make me want to go out and buy some flashing, just to try it! I don’t need it for my Christmas tree, but what about using it over ugly flower pots?! You know the ones that poinsettia’s come in this time of year? Who has real pots to put them in –just bundle 2 or 3, surround them with this metal ring, and WOW! Now I know I will have to get some flashing!!

10 Elizabeth Verderosa December 1, 2012 at 8:38 am

I don’t have a cat and I love my tree skirt but I have a plant I’ve owned that I could never find a pretty pot for so it’s been in it’s original ugly HD planter for 6 years!
Part of the problem is that I don’t allow myself to buy those kinds of things brand new-only at garage sales.
This idea is a great one for covering that ugly pot and adding a splash of color to a drab corner of my living room.
Thanks, Diane!

11 Pam @Frippery December 1, 2012 at 8:53 am

You are truly brilliant! Love this idea.

12 Angie Simonsen December 1, 2012 at 11:41 am

This doesn’t just “speak” to me, it lit-er-ally (if you’ve ever seen Parks and Recreation, you know how to say that) SCREAMS at me!!!

13 Margaret December 1, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Great idea! I have two indoor cats as well, but fortunately mine have never tried to actually climb the tree. They just bat some of the low-hanging ornaments around, so I never put breakables down low!

14 Stephanie Kent December 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm

You are a genius! I love it. I’m totally going to make one of these.

15 Kim T December 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Wow … another great idea, you have been hitting out of the park with ideas for the holidays! Getting our tree today and I am going to try this … so stinkin’ cute!!!

16 ARG @ Petit Lapin December 1, 2012 at 4:15 pm

LOVE this! I have an aluminum tree that needed something a little extra around it’s base – this will be perfect!

17 Linda Southworth December 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I like…I like!! And fasten the ends with binder clips, one of the most useful little gizmos. I read the other comments and like the idea of wrapping less than lovely flower pots too. The guys in roofing are going to see more diy girls in the next few days!

18 Barbara @ DIY Home Staging Tips December 2, 2012 at 7:21 am

I couldn’t imagine what a metal tree skirt would look like when I read your headline. What a nifty idea. I’ve worked in construction, so I’ve known about aluminum flashing; I always took home scrap pieces from the job site, sensing that it was a terrific craft supply, but the only thing I’ve used it for is to put roofs on my birdhouses! I think it was the sharp edges that seemed daunting.

So, even though I don’t have kitties, I really appreciate this post . Thanks for another marvelous idea. I know your tree will look beyond beautiful.

19 Meg Nelson December 2, 2012 at 8:35 am

What a great post! I made me smile – I am up early, just me and the cats. Love of course the cat in the tree (we fostered orphaned kittens this summer and now have two kittens running around the house), liked the toe ring(!) and loved the metal tree skirt. Going to show it to the hubby when he gets up. Might be going to Home Depot today!! We (okay maybe it only bugs me) are always strugging to keep the fabric skirt around the tree and with a stand just like the one you have it really doesn’t stay where it should.

Love your blog!!!!

Meg

20 Anne December 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm

That is the perfect solution! Love your skirt too! I am lucky our cat Tabitha does not mess with any of our trees.I don’t know why but she stays away.
xx
Anne

21 Jenn Moore December 3, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Brilliant! What a great solution :)
I miss my tree climbing cat. She used to climb my fake Christmas tree to the tip top layer of branches – she’d lay there (encircling the trunk for hours/days). It surprised me the first time, but then I got used to seeing her eyes peaking out at me :)

22 Maria December 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Ok, this is why I keep coming back, because you are a clever creative that I can always learn from and be inspired by!

23 Carla December 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I remember the sounds in the middle of the night of a crashing Christmas tree or ornaments. LOL My cat loved to climb and play.
We have that same manly tree stand but I just pull my skirt up to the top of the stand and wrap it around. But I like your idea too. I had to email my husband and tell him about the tree in the ern. Or tree is a little short this year and that ern would give it some height. I told him it was awfully small but he wouldn’t believe me. LOL. It’s pretty just small.

24 Lisa December 17, 2012 at 10:18 am

I just found your blog from a link…to a link…etc. I just have to say I LOVE this idea. It is brilliant. Will be doing this next year for sure!

25 Suzi Krizan January 26, 2014 at 9:52 am

You are infringing on my patent rights..please see Tree trunk cover
Patent number: D670597
Type: Grant
Filed: February 5, 2010
Issued: November 13, 2012

26 Debbie February 10, 2014 at 9:21 am

She isn’t infringing on your rights, her pattern does not replicate yours. Yours consists of a wire, a cut out slot and a spring, none of which are included in her idea. Your patent includes heights of 12″ to 18″ inches, hers is only 10″. Your PATTERN has not been compromised. Unless of course your wire, spring or slot are really cryptic terms for binder clips.

27 DiannaD March 18, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing!!!