DIY: Basket Christmas Tree Skirt

by Diane Henkler on 12/01/2013

Remember this huge basket I found at the thrift store a few months ago?

How-to-make-a-Christmas-tree-stand-cover-out-of-a-basket

I had you try to guess what I was going to do with it.

Well – it is finally time to show you.

How to turn a basket into a Christmas Tree skirt

Christmas-Tree-Skirt-made-using-a-basket

I transformed it into a basket Christmas tree skirt.

I have always wanted a basket skirt, but they can be pricey and it was not a necessity, so I did without.

Thrift-Store-Finds

Until I saw the big basket at the thrift store for a whopping $6.90, I was beyond excited.

I could not use it as is – it needed a few tweaks, but nothing a hack saw, wire cutters, and some stain couldn’t take care of.

How to Transform a Big Basket into a Christmas Tree Skirt

supplies needed:

• large basket – with or without a handle
  • hack saw
  • wire cutters

Optional:  Rustoleum Weathered Grey stain and a paint brush

How-to-make-a-basket-Christmas-Tree-Skirt

1. Use a hack saw to remove the handle.   After handle is removed, remove any small reeds that were used to hold the handle in.  They will slip right out.

Tutorial-on-how-to-make-a-basket-Christmas-Tree-skirt

2.  My tree stand is wide, so I needed to flip the basket upside down so the wider section of the basket was at the bottom.

Christmas-Tree-skirt-ideas

3.  To remove the bottom of the basket, look for the area where the smaller weave ends. This is where you want to cut.  Use wire cutters to cut the reeds that connect to the basket’s side.  Make sure you are not cutting the side  horizontal reeds – you only want to cut the vertical reeds.

DIY-Christmas-Tree-skirt-make-using-a-basket

4.  Carefully remove the bottom.  It will look like this.

Christmas-Tree-Skirt

5. Use the wire cutters to trim any rough reeds that may be sticking out along the top edge.

Christmas-Tree-Skirt-made-using-a-large-basket

6.  You could leave your basket the color it is, but I wanted my basket to look a bit weathered. I used Rustoleum Weathered Gray stain. I applied it with a brush and then quickly wiped it away to expose some of the original color.  Let dry.

Christmas-Tree-Stand-Ideas

7.  Place on floor around tree stand, then place your tree in the stand. I always place plastic under my stand just to make sure no water gets on the floor.  I bring the ends of it up and around the stand.   You don’t see it when it is in the basket.

How to turn a basket into a Christmas Tree skirt

Now I have to get the tree decorated this week.  Will show you that soon.

How to make a basket Christmas Tree Skirt

Pin It

1 Debbie December 1, 2013 at 11:18 pm

That is very good!!!! I have never seen anything like it before. Beautiful tree, also. Perfect shape!

2 Diane Henkler December 2, 2013 at 12:22 am

Hi Debbie – Thanks XO Both my daughters were home over the weekend and we went to pick out the tree on Friday. It usually takes us awhile since we all like different trees, but we saw this one right away and brought it home. It is one of the best shaped trees we have ever gotten. It is from Corkum Tree Farm in Creamery, PA

3 Barbara Freitas December 1, 2013 at 11:43 pm

you never cease to amaze me with your cleverness and unique ideas!

4 Diane Henkler December 2, 2013 at 12:31 am

Thanks Barbara – I love to create. Having worked in retail display for years with no budget and super creative types helped hone my skills to be resourceful and look at everything with new eyes.

5 Stephanie Hobson December 2, 2013 at 1:08 am

This really is genius. I love the natural look of the basket, and yes, your tree is perfect!

6 Laura Ontiveros December 2, 2013 at 2:46 am

Lovely!!…You always gets great ideas. The weathered stain makes it perfect. I has been waiting to see what was going to happen to that basket now I can”t wait to see the the Christmas tree all decorated.
Best regards.

7 Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse December 2, 2013 at 2:48 am

Funny, I was thinking to use my laudry basket as my tree skirt this year…

8 Anne Boykin December 2, 2013 at 5:39 am

That is so cool! Love your tree and your new skirt.

9 Jodie @JBMaryn December 2, 2013 at 7:10 am

This is a really great use for old baskets from gifts or from the thrift store. Looks great! Thanks for the decorating inspiration.

10 Patti December 2, 2013 at 7:22 am

What a great idea. I have never seen this before. That’s why I keep coming back to your blog. Thanks for sharing!

11 Barbara @ DIY Home Staging Tips December 2, 2013 at 8:02 am

You are so clever. Lovely pics, too. This is so much better than the pathetic cloth wrap I usually throw together. Thank you.

12 Jann from Newton Custom Interiors December 2, 2013 at 10:00 am

Very clever idea! I’ve never seen a basket tree skirt before. Love it!

13 Runt December 2, 2013 at 11:31 am

What a great idea! That looks really cool.

14 Ellen December 2, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Looks fantastic! Wonderful & decorative idea. How do you get water in the pan without making a mess though? You can’t see where you are pouring.

15 Diane Henkler December 2, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Hi Ellen – For years I have found the easiest method for getting water into the tree stand is to use a squirt bottle that dish detergent comes in. It keeps the water in a contained stream and does not get all over the place. Every year I find the least dense section of tree and put the bottle through that and then squirt the water into the water well of the stand. If it is drinking up a lot of water, I do need to refill the bottle a few times.

16 Judy M. December 2, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Diane you are very creative and clever. I just love this one!

17 Jennifer December 3, 2013 at 10:30 am

That’s a great idea! We normally use a tree skirt but this year we used a basket I bought from Target over the summer.

18 Marm December 3, 2013 at 11:18 am

Pretty awesome. I’ll keep my eyes out for such a basket.

19 Ruth Anne December 3, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I’ve never seen a basket tree skirt before and just love this one! Thanks for all your very creative ideas and thanks for the great pictures showing how you made it.

20 Faye December 4, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I love this! The wicker suggests a woodland theme to me, but it is a cleaner
finish than the “fussier” skirts I’ve used before. Now to find a large basket…

21 Sheryll & Critters. December 5, 2013 at 1:11 am

Are you a total genius or what? You ARE a total genius!!! I would have never thought of taking the bottom off, much less had the nerve or know how. I might have taken the handle off, but the bottom….. how very smart you are.

Amazing!!! And ever so gorgeous!

22 Katie @ Upcycled Treasures December 6, 2013 at 1:01 pm

This is such a great idea! I featured it in my Friday Favorites post today :)

23 Denise December 8, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Love this! I love how your creative mind works! You should write a book on how to tap into your inner creativity. Our consumer culture tells us that we have to go out and buy, brand new, whatever the stores are pushing this season. So many people have never been taught or challenged to be creative. Thanks you for ALL of your awesome ideas over the years Diane. You are simply the absolute QUEEN of Creativity!!!

24 Diane Henkler December 9, 2013 at 8:55 am

Hi Denise – Thanks XO I would like to write a book or produce some sort of magazine about creating. That is my goal for 2014. I am still swirling ideas for it around in my mind. I do enjoy transforming and giving old things new life. Buying new is fun, but does not give me the same pleasure as making something unique or completely making it mine. :) Best wishes for a very Merry Christmas and holiday season.

25 Carla December 9, 2013 at 11:02 am

Well that was cleaver and cute. Thanks for sharing that nifty idea.

26 Desiree @ The36thAvenue December 12, 2013 at 3:12 am

This is brilliant! I am pinning :)

27 Athena at Minerva's Garden December 13, 2013 at 12:41 pm

What a pretty use of the basket for the holidays, Diane–this is great!

28 Marianne Songbird December 15, 2013 at 6:31 am

I love this idea. Now I have got to go out hunting for a basket like that, because I love how it looks as a tree stand.
Thanks for linking up to my 12 days linky party.

29 Victoria Ross December 16, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Great work! Wouldn’t have guessed the basket would be used for that haha! I’m going to look into doing this next year cause the tree skirt we have right now just seems to take up so much room but the basket makes it look roomier!

Thanks for sharing