My Foyer Staircase Makeover Reveal

I finally got it finished.  The staircase makeover is DONE!  It took me a long time, but that was only because I only did a little bit each night, then the holidays came around and I put the project on hold.  If you decide to do this and worked on it a few hours a day, you could complete the project in just a few days.

Re-doing my staircase is something I wanted to do the minute I moved into my house – that was 17 years ago. I have always yearned for hardwood steps and white painted risers. Now I have them – yeah!!!   The carpet held up extremely well all that time, but after seeing so many successful stair makeovers on so many blogs, I decided it was worth a shot, plus it was actually a whole lot cheaper than having them cleaned!     Do you remember the before?

Before

Carpeted Steps and Risers

DIY Staircase Makeover Before

The Process

I always thought since my home was a builders spec house that the steps had no bull-nose.  But low and behold when I went to take a peek to see what was under the carpet I was surprised with bull-nose steps – a big plus.

The downside: the steps were not hardwood, but soft pine boards with lots of rough knots and imperfections. I didn’t let this stop me though.

Staircase Makeover in progress-going from carpet to stained hardwood

The hardest part of re-doing the stairs was the fact that they were opened on the outer edge. Removing the carpet between the balusters was tough and the carpet was adhered with glue and 20 staples on each outer edge.

How to make over a staircase with carpet to a stain and painted hardwood

Once I got all the staples out, the edges were pretty chewed up. My hubby help me sand them, but they were not perfect.  Each one had overspray on it from when the detail molding piece was installed by the builder.  This was hard to remove as each edge was rounded bull-nose.

Tutorial on how to remove carpet from a staircase

The very hardest part (you may not have this problem) was keeping track of where Trax the cat was.  I didn’t want little cat paws in the stain, paint, and poly.  He of course was curious to see what I was up to every time I worked on the steps.  He thought he was my helper.  He did end up one day with a bit of white paint on his tail.

There were also some other places were the carpet was hard to remove, but it finally all came off.

How to remove carpet from a staircase

With the hard part complete, it was now time to have fun with stain, poly, and paint.

DIY staircase makeover

Since the boards were soft pine. I used Minwax Pre-Stain Conditioner on each step before I stained them.  It prepares soft wood like pine to take the stain better. Once the pre-conditioner coat was on I had up until 2 hours to then apply the stain. I used the traditional Minwax stain in the yellow can. I wanted a dark enough color to hide the knots, but not too dark as I wanted it to coordinate with the darkest part of the grain in the floor and the banister as well as the sideboard in my foyer.  I ended up mixing the colors Provincial with Early American and applied it with and old rag.

I stained the steps first.  I took the advice of Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick who recommended in her tutorial to do this first as she painted her risers first and then when she stained the steps the stain got on the painted risers and was hard to get off.

I used Zinseer Bulls Eye Ultimate Polyurethane.  I applied 3 coats over a two day period, letting each coat dry thoroughly. I did every other step so we could still go up and down.  When those steps were complete, I did the others. I put post- it notes on the steps that could be stepped on, just  in case we forgot which steps were safe.

How to stain wood on a staircase and paint the risers

When I painted each riser and baluster I used Frogtape to mask out the areas I didn’t want the paint to touch.  It was a teeny bit time consuming putting tape around each baluster, but when I removed it I had perfect edges. I love using this tape, I think it is much better than the blue tape I used to use when painting.

Step by step tutorial on how to remove carpet from a staircase and stain the wood underneath

After

Hello gorgeous!!!

Staircase Makeover  After reveal

Why did I wait so long to reveal your hidden beauty?

DIY Staircase Makeover

I love my new stairs!  It was a very inexpensive project.  I already had the can of white paint (Sherwin Williams Alabaster) and the rest cost under $25.   Don’t they look so fresh and modern… and CLEAN?

DIY HOme Improvement -Removing carpet on a staircase and staining the wood

If your are considering re-doing a staircase in your home, all I can say is – Go Do It – now!  You will be sooo happy you did.

$50-Staircase-Makeover

Comments

1. Linda says

The stairs look mah-velous! Why did you wait so long??? 8-) And add me to those saying “atta girl” to following your dream!

Wow Diane that is stunning!! It looks so fresh and bright now. I think the carpet must of been sucking up the light, who would of known! Great job, it looks fantasic.

Well – my mind is trying to absorb all of this. To these stairs were just waiting for the right set of hands to manipulate them into something gorgeous. You tutorial is marvelous, although I can’t figure out the purpose of the white spray paint. I can’t imagine that you used the spray paint on the balusters, yet, with your skills, I wouldn’t put anything past you. You’ve give me great inspiration and even better — a picture to show my husband so that he will be equally inspired. Congratulations on a beautiful staircase. It’s beautiful.

HI Jan-
      The spray paint is what the builder did when he was building the house. They sprayed the balusters and the decorative trim pieces under the side of each step white. You can see it on the other side of the steps also against the wall. Then they put the carpet on. When I removed the carpet the white overspray was on the steps. I had to remove it with lots of sandpaper!

Your stairway looks fabulous. You were so right when you said it looks crisp, that is the perfect way to describe the look. I love the dark stain against the white.
    Great job,
    Traci

Those stairs are beautiful! I know it was a job because I had a stair case in another home that I made over. Such a great transformation.

Your stairs look beautiful, Diane! We have the same type of wood on our stairs and we pulled off our carpet several years ago. I would love to do this. I think it looks so good especially with the white risers, but as we hope to move this year I’m not taking on any major projects.

Wow! They look absolutely amazing and elegant! I can tell how much work you must have put into that project and it looks like it was worth it! Love it!

What a glorious makeover. I may have to tackle this some day. It looks so much better than the carpet. Lots of hard work, but so worth it. Right now I think the carpet may be safer for my little grand children.

What a lot of work…that totally paid off! It looks really fabulous. And I’m so happy to hear of the life changes you’ve recently made…wtg!
    Shannon
    {aka}|design

10. Pam @ Frippery says

Gorgeous! How did you get them cleaned up enough for stain? I had the exact same type of stairs under my carpet I they were so painted and dinged up that I just went ahead and painted them white. Now they are a mess all the time. I need to repaint and poly and hope for the best or get a runner.

hi Pam-

My husband and I took turns sanding to get them smooth and paint free. There are a few place where a bit of paint was set deep into the wood that we could not remove. The stain covered it a bit, but when you look at the steps as a whole you don’t notice the imperfections.

• Diane says

Hi Diane, What a beautiful job you did, just amazing. I have the same stairs with the rug and have wanted to have this done but I know it would be expensive. I would love to do it myself but thought it was way too big of a job. You showed me it is possible. I have to ask with the sanding did you do it by hand or with a electric sander? You should be very proud of yourself, you go girl!

Diane

• Kylie C says

We had steps that were too much of a mess to stain too! We went with a glossy black for the steps and white risers- they turned out very classy looking. I think the glossy paint hold up a lot better than the matte, we’ve had to re-touch the white risers but not the black after 2.5 years.

Hi Coutney-

I wish I had looked years ago, but I always assumed it would be plain boards. Take a peek, you may be surprised.

Love them! OH please….come do this for me!!! LOL
    We have “out door” stairs as our inside entryway stairs, our “main” level is one floor up (so we can enjoy the view of the valley outside our home).

We need to rip out the construction grade 2X6’s (2 for each step) and replace with a bull-nose piece. Then repair, paint, stain, etc.

we haven’t even started……..thanks for the inspiration!
    Heidi Be Happy Today!

Your stairs look fabulous!!! I bought all the supplies yesterday, and am sitting here contemplating whether or not I really want to take on this massive of a project. We have a split level foyer AND a full staircase that goes to the third floor. Sooo many stairs.

you did such a great job and made it look really easy (from where I’m sitting), but I KNOW it was a whole lot of hard work. I’ve done some demolition projects in my house before and remember well! But it is beautiful and makes your home appear so fresh and young! Just like a facelift for the home. :)

Oh. MY!!!!! They look wonderful. We have some steps here that need some TLC and I just hope when I tackle them it will be even half as gorgeous as yours.

OMGosh, I totally love it!! It reminds me of our staircase in the home we just bought….now you have my wheels turning!! lol

GORGEOUS INDEED!!! So beautiful and I know it is worth all the trouble and cat tracking you had to do!

This is stunning!

Lou Cinda

Beautiful, just beautiful!! We had a very similar project with the stairs and floors. I posted on my blog decoratingtheville.blogspot.com
    Thanks for sharing!

18. Sandy says

Congratulations on your stairway transformation! I did basically the same thing in the last house I owned, except the treads were oak. There were thousands of staples holding the old dirty carpet (from the former house owner) in place. Before selling the house 12 years later, I repainted the risers to give them a fresh look.

Wow! What a lot of work…but what a transformation. I love the way it looks and I love the way pine “feels” underfoot~if that makes sense…it is just a softer walk.

We have pulled out thousands of staples over the years preparing areas to be refinished and painted. I know your pain!!! But OH! It was SO worth it-your job is perfect! Hugs-Diana

20. Erin says

I am so EXCITED your stairs look just like mine with the carpet around the edge and same dingy color (no offense) and I just pulled up a carpet piece and woohoo I have the same stairs. I hope mine can look as amazing as yours. I want to start tonight…but it is almost midnight :( Great job!!!

What an amazing transformation! Thank you for sharing! It is an inspiration to see people tackle remodel jobs that seem like so much work! You make it look easy!

Hi Ann-

I did wait till my kids were in college – one is already out. :) Wish I had done it sooner as they look so much better. I know my girls would have liked them better, too.

Wow! You are truly amazing and incredibly talented. I’m so glad you are back. It was only a week of you not blogging, but I noticed, and I missed you. I’m happy to hear that you are on your way to simplifing things and most importantly, making yourself happy.

I found your site last night through Funky Junk Interiors and loved your stairs. Our stairs look alike (well they did) with the carpet. I believe your last words were GO DO IT! Well, since my husband was out of the house I looked at my son and said “we can do this” and so, we started. It has been a long time since I have been that excited! We got the carpet off of three stairs last night! I just keep seeing your end result! I am inspired! But, you should have seem my husbands face when he got home….I CAN DO IT! Thanks so much for sharing!

24. laura says

oh diane – they look beautiful! my steps can’t wait for you to come over and work your magic! i even have 2 cats to keep you company!!!! :)

great job!

Phenomenal! What a lot of work, but oh-so worth it! You made me giggle with Trax! I can imagine. When I had kittens, I made a wedding dress. 9 yards of satin that rustled every time it moved. It was just too much for the kitties! I finally resorted to cutting the dress out in a small bedroom with the door shut rather than the large living room floor. The whole time I could see tiny little paws poking under the door!

Would love for you to drop by and link up to Passion for Paint this weekend.

Wonderful and very inspiring… I like the idea of having the white only on the “counter step” (don’t know the English word, but you get me, don’t you?… please say yes!). It seems the staircase looks “happier”.

27. Maria says

Well done and lovely!! What a difference with sooo little money invested. Worth the the time for sure.

So cute! I will be featuring your project this Thursday at my weekly link party, Hookin Up with HoH #34.

I’m letting you know in advance as I’ll be out of town during the party and will be unable to notify you on Thursday.

Please feel free to stop by and grab a button on Thursday!

~Allison @ House of Hepworths

They are beautiful! I’m planning to do mine this month too, along with changing the balusters to wrought iron.

30. Jen says

THANK YOU – I just checked my stairs and under the worn out carpet is bullnose treads – I showed my husband and now we are giddy to do this ourselves…

31. ChrisE says

Found your blog from the HoH hookup. LOVE the stair make-over!! It turned out absolutely perfect! Congratulations!!!

wow, this is amazing! So envious of your beautiful new staircase! ;)
    I’d do this in a heartbeat, but have heard from other bloggers where the builder did a slapdash kinda job, that there were gaps between the risers and stair treads. I have a feeling that would be my luck. Yours were very nicely done even with carpet covering them!
    Found you through Tuesday’s Treasures!

Hi Darla-

The paint color on the walls in my foyer is one of the Ben Moore Pottery Barn colors called Edgecomb Gray # HC-173. I love Alabaster for the trim – it is the perfect go between color that is not too white white or off white. Happy painting!

Oh my goodness, I just stumbled across your blog today and fell in love with your staircase! you did an awesome job, it looks really good. I have been trying to find the courage to do that to mine and you have made it look like it could actually be done! Thank you so much for sharing!

I know I’ve seen these re-do’s everywhere lately, and I love them each time, but seriously your explanations, and tutorial, is SO specific and detailed. I literally at each step was like “Oh, I could do that!”. Thank you thank you! If I can talk my husband into letting me take on this project, I’ll be sure to link back to you!

35. Jill says

Your stairs are Beautiful!! I have been wanting to try this but my husband thinks our three kids would slip down the stairs. And with poly? Do they seem slippery? I would love to convince my husband that the kids won’t fall:)

Saw you on Thrifty Decor Chick … your stair makeover is amazing. I really want to do this in my house but haven’t yet convinced my husband. Are the stairs slippery? And has the stain held up well or does it look worn as the kids trample up and down?

Wow..they look great. I had no clue about that stuff that makes the pine take the stain better. I redid mine a few yrs back but my steps did not have the curved fronts, then there was the stain issue….so I ended up putting peel and stick flooring that came in strips and looked like wood….but I love this.

I love this! (I found you via Thrifty Decor Chick). One question: do you notice a big difference in the amount of noise? I’ve got a heavy footed husband, two school age kids, and two cats. I’m wondering if the aesthetic value would override the noise.

Hi Jen-

My husband initally didn’t like the way it sounded when we walked up and down right after we took the carpet off. We were so used to no sound, perhaps a creak or two. Now we are used to it and the aesthetic value far outweighs the noise factor for us. If you are on the fence, perhaps you can add sisal tread runners. They look fresh and modern, but add a no-slip cushioning. Tracie over at Cleverly Inspired just did this because her dog was having trouble navigating the new steps.

39. Amanda @ the Hand Me Down House says

OMG Diane — What a fantastic makeover! Absolutely stunning! It completely changes the entire look of the hall away! You did such a great job!

40. Shannon says

It looks fantastic! I’ve been dying to do this with our stairs and you’re pushing me in the right direction. :) Quick question, though… From the pictures it looks like you still have carpet upstairs. How did you transition from the new steps to the old carpet? Did you have to cut and reattach anything?

41. Mary says

The stairs look fabulous; I’ve just started on mine & have a quick question. I can’t find the Zinsser Bullseye polyurethane anywhere (and I live in the Atlanta area); have tried Home Depot, True Value Hardware & Ace hardware. They all carry Zinssser products but not this particular one. Do you have an alternative to recommend?
    Many thanks — Mary

Your stairs turned out awesome and they were totally worth all of the hard work you put into them. Thanks for sharing your details…. it sounds like a project more homeowners should tackle… the results are so worth it! I am sure you will enjoy them each and every time you go up or down!

LOVE the new steps! I have almost the exact same carpeting on our steps that lead to our basement level. They too are fine “as is” ….we usually take our shoes off when coming indoors so they don’t get dirty very often. BUT, oh how I would love to remove the carpet so I could just sweep the dirt down to the bottom and vacuum it up off the floor itself. I wouldn’t have to use all the attachments for the vacuum to do the steps. It would be so time-saving! And we could come in from outside with work shoes on…like on those days doing messy, spring clean-up!…and not have to take off our shoes! At the bottom we could put a small rug on the area before the tile starts near the bathroom. (That would come in very handy at times…if you know what I mean. –wink, wink!)

Again beautiful stairs! Never underestimate plain old pine!

44. Rhonda says

The stairs are beautiful. What if underneath your carpet is plywood and no bull nose (over lap)? I desparately want to redo mine.

Thank you for whatever suggestions you have.

I have seen it done with square edge steps, too – the bullnose does give it a more polished feel – but if the plywood on your steps is in good condition without not too many knots – you may not even notice that the edge is square not rounded. If I can find the site where I saw the steps I will forward the link to you.

• Ann says

Hi Diane,

I am wondering…I have an overhang on my steps, but it is not rounded. (Currently under carpet.) Any ideas on what to do in this situation? Just let them be squared? Or is that dangerous/ugly/all of the above? The wood seems pretty solid…

Hi Ann-

I have seen steps without a bullnose edge refinished and they look fine. The overall impression of stained steps and white risers will be achieved no matter what the edge is like. You may not even notice it after they are done. If they are in good shape I would just let them be square.

45. Debbie says

I am new to your blog, and LOVING your tips. I have been hating the carpet on my steps but was not sure if we would think plain wood would feel too ‘cold’, but I love the way they look.
    I have a question for you: My steps have a ‘landing’ separating the staircase. I’m wondering how that would look stained like the steps or would it look funny? I know keeping it carpet would look worse. maybe with a side table on the landing it wouldn’t look so bad.
    Not sure how brave I am to try this.

46. ellenn sarmiento says

It’s beautiful !!! I hope my staircase in the foyer will turn out the same as yours or even better than I expected. My husband and I hire somebody to do this job, for about $1200.00. We’ll end up blaming each other if we did it ourselves and it did not turn out right. In addition to that, he does not have that much patience doing this time consuming kind of work. Do you guys think I’m paying too much? I would like to send you the picture of before and after.

Thanks,
    Ellen

47. Lisa M. says

Hi Diane,

Gorgeous stairs, congrats. I plan to do this same project but am concerned about major scuffing on the painted white risers (we have pets and young kids). Can you kindly provide reviews on this issue after living with it for awhile? I am considering tiling the riser as a more durable alternative, but this would be more expensive and time consuming than paint. Or maybe I make a rule – no shoes on the stairs. Thanks!

Hi Lisa-

My kids are grown, but I do have two dogs and a cat who constantly go up and down on them. I haven’t had any problems at all with the risers. They look very nice and I am still thrilled at how they came out. Perhaps if you use a very durable enamel or high gloss paint that you can wipe clean – might help if you think they are going to take a beating – the no shoes on the stairs or even when in the house rule is a good one :) You could try the paint and see how it holds up. If it takes a beating you can always tile over the paint.

• Lisa M. says

Diane, I just finished my stairs, and they are simply gorgeous! I won’t lie – this project was tedious, and some days my body ached from sitting on the hard surface, hunched over pulling out staples and patching holes. But it was SO worth it! After a short break, I plan on moving forward with Phase 2: adding carsiding (wide beadboard) and ledge to the staircase walls, painted to match the risers and stringers. Thank you for all the useful advice you provided and for being my inspiration. I am just thrilled that I was able to do this! I love your blog!

48. FatJan says

I need help.

I’m replacing all the carpet throughout the entire house with hardwood flooring but the stairs I want to re-do them just the way you have with stain and paint. I need suggestions on what type of stair strip I should use at the very top of the stairs so that it blends in with the new hardwood flooring. Note: I do not want to put in a stair nose because the stairs already have a square bullnose/lip.

Thanks…

• FatJan says

Yes, carpet is everywhere and I want to remove all of it. I’m in the process of putting down hardwood on all floors except the stairs.

49. kiki says

Those look fantastic…looks like what I’m going for. My big question is, how do take up the carpet on the stairs to get a look the quality of the wood underneath? And is it difficult to reattach that carpet if it’s not quality wood? Do you need a professional do that?

Thanks to anyone who can answer!

Hi Kiki-
      To see what my stairs looked like under the carpet, I carefully peeled back the carpet on the bottom step. It was pieced where the fist step ended, and the riser for the 2nd step started. I used an awl and a flat head screwdriver to gently pull it back. I did not remove the carpet- only peeled it back. Be careful as there are a ton of staples and carpet tack stripping. Once I saw that they were nice, I ripped the carpet off. If the steps were not nice, I would have just placed the carpet back in place and back over the carpet tack stripping. Use a hammer to make sure the carpet sticks back into the tack stripping.

50. joan says

Love the stairs so we took our carpet off. We do have that soft pine but our steps turn and where the landing is, they used a piece of subfloor-yuck. Does anyone have any suggestions what we can do to match it to pine steps????

Hi Joan – Not sure the size of your landing, but you may want to look at a veneer. Here is a link to one site: http://oakwoodveneer.com/veneer/pine.html
      If you do a Google search for Pine Veneer you will probably find a veneer that matches your pine and will be the size you need. You would need to protect it with polyurethane just like the steps.

51. Kari says

Diane – This post caught my eye as soon as I found your blog. What a transformation! When we moved into our house the carpeted stairs were hideous. After six years of judicious vacuuming and cleaning, they are now merely ugly. The old light beige carpet was almost black at the edges by the wall! Doesn’t anybody clean the edges??? You have inspired me to finally give it a try. Fortunately, the lower stairs are open and painted white around the balisters. This also gives me more good news – the steps are bullnose because of this designe choice of the builder. Yipee!!
    Thanks for the inspiration and how-to. Wish me luck!

52. FatJan says

Hi, it’s me again..

Here is a link to my youtube posting that shows my stair/floor reno project. This should give you a better idea of what I am faced with. I am having a hard time deciding what to use as a stair strip to go at the very top of the stairs (landing). The idea is to make the new flooring and the re-done stairs clean and professional looking.

Please send a reply after viewing my video:

I just love what you did! What a difference! You have inspired me to tackle my own staircase. The last bid we got was for $6000.00 to take off carpet, paint and refinish my staircase. I think I will give it a try! I’ll let you know how it goes!

54. Becky says

I love this!!! Going to tackle it this week! How did you separate the carpet from the upstairs?

Hi Becky. The second floor carpet ended right under the bullnose where it meets the top steps- riser. There was a separate piece of carpet going up the steps that ended right under that second floor bullnose. I just kept the carpet intact on the second floor. You can see it in the last two photos in the post.

55. Mattelderca says

As a general contractor and electrician I commend you on your work and thank you for the great idea for our own steps!

56. Leah says

Beautiful! I just paid $400 to have carpet removed and steps stained….and that does not include having the risers painted….that is something I have to do now!

57. Rhonda says

I would like to do this same thing. But, how do you keep the steps from being slippery. My family runs around barefoot or in sock feet. I’m concerned about falling. Did you do something to the steps to keep them from being slippery?

58. Lee says

I am in the middle of doing my stairs. I have been sanding and sanding…. My treads have white paint on the sides where they painted the surrounding trim. In your pictures it looks like you did not take all of the paint off of your treads before staining. Does all of this paint have to be removed for the stain to look right? I am having a hard time getting it all off. Thanks!

59. Janet says

When putting the stain on the stairs, did you have to sand the stairs to get the overspray off? Or were you able to stain to right over it? They look beautiful!

Thanks Janet – Yes, I or I should say he – my husband sanded all the over sprayed paint off the steps. If you don’t the stain will not take – it will look like a big blotch. My husband used a small sander to get into the corners and edges.

60. Christina says

amazing! I have wanted to do this since we moved in our house. Could you tell your steps were rounded under the carpet? Are they slick? I’m soo inspired.

61. George says

My wife found this. She got inspired to give me a new project. Looks much better than the alternative I’ve been dreading…either using hardwood flooring or buying treads…both expensive.

Anyway, has anyone tried this on subfloor? I imagine it could work, but I doubt my subfloor is in good enough shape to try this.

I also have the light carpet. That looks so professional. You did such a great job, I am going to try it. I have always had carpeting so I am a little nervous about having cold feet, lol.

63. Michelle Britton says

I really want to attempt this project. One question: What did you do for the staple holes? Did you use wood putty? Did you have any cracks?

Hi Michelle –

We sanded the steps quite a bit. I say we as my husband had the strength to really smooth the wood and eliminate or smooth out the holes. There were still a few that were not smoothed over by the sanding and I left them alone. If you fill them you have to make sure the stain will take on the filler. If not – you will be left with spots of un-stained areas. Since the stain I used was dark – you don’t even notice the holes that were not smoothed over. They look like they are just part of the woods imperfections. I did not have any cracks.

Just found your blog on Pinterest and had to see your process for your staircase. I’m dying to do mine but I don’t have the nice wood under the carpet. We’ll have to add a step. Your stairs make me want to do mine NOW. You did a great job! Beautiful! ~Linda

65. theresa says

Hi! I just got home from the store and was pricing treads since the guy who did my floors said he looked under the carpet on my stairs and said “nope can’t use those, they just have to be recarpeted”….so I assumed it was plywood! I never looked under myself and i just lifted rug on the bottom 3 and it looks like pine! I think you just saved me a bunch of money!! :):)

66. Catherine Waldron says

Great makeover! What sheen of paint did you use for the white paint on the stairs? My husband wants to use high gloss white, but I think that might be too shiny? Thanks!

67. Elaine says

I did everything you told me to and I am so happy I did. Like you I dont know why I waited so long, I love my new look on the stairs, Thank you so much for all the info. Everyone said I couldnt do it. Now I just laugh at them. Again thanks!

Hi Elaine – Every time I go up and down mine, I still smile and it has been over a year since I did them. It has made a huge difference in the way my house looks and feels. Happy to hear you didn’t listen to the naysayers :)

68. Irene says

I too, as some many others have noted, am inspired by your transformation. My question is how are the treads holding up after this past year; are they starting to show any wear?

Hi Irene-
      When my daughter brought her dog, Kindii home to live with my husband and I, my first thought was – there goes the stairs, but I have been happily surprised. They have held up far better than I expected. The bottom step has some light scratches on it since Kindii swiftly pivots on it to get up and down. The rest of the steps have held up wonderfully. I am super happy. One of the best parts – cleaning them is a breeze. I use a Swiffer. It collects all the dust and dirt.

69. Alex says

Looks great ! I have the exact same stairs. Question what did you do about the small staple holes in the risers ; did you fill them in with something ?

Hi Alex – I did not fill them in. Since I was going pretty dark with the stain and have not had luck getting filler to take stain well on previous projects – I opted to just sand the holes as smooth as we could get them to make them less visible.

• Alex says

Diane again you did a great job thank you so much for your response ; you have inspired me to follow in your footsteps !

70. helen says

Beautiful job Diane. Am in the process of redoing my steps. What sheen was your poly and was it water based? Did you use one or two coats of stain? I am following your instructions to the letter!

71. Cobie says

Hi diane. I love your beatiful stairs and want to go this way updating my stairs instead of the overfitting steps system that leaves you with an awkward too high step and too low higest step.
    What made you decide on the color of the stain on your steps. Like you I also have a blond colored hardwood on the main floor. But your color on the steps works very well. Do you have hardwood upstairs too? That is the same color or the steps? At the moment I have the same tired carpet on the second floor as on the steps. So I want hardwood upstairs too. I thougyT I had to keep everything the same color as on the main floor, but maybe I can do a mediun stain like yours on the steps AND second floor too. My husband though. Prefers a dark color though but would that be too much of a difference even if I kept it the same stain color on the steps and upstairs. Would that look weird?
    What are your thoughts?

Hi Cobie –

The hardwood on my 1st floor, is a medium color. The light adds a shine to them in the photos making them look lighter than they actually are. It is a lighter color than the steps, though. I went with using a darker stain on the steps for two reasons. The first was to hide the knots in the wood, since the steps were made of pine. The second was to match a piece of furniture I have in my foyer – it is dark wood. The floors are a medium wood color. Not blond, not dark. I felt the dark stain balanced the space. Dark accents on either side – steps and the furniture. Medium floor and banister. I do not have hardwood upstairs – still carpet.

As far as mixing colors, I don’t think I would mix light blond floors with dark steps – that would be too drastic of a color change. If you can go a bit lighter – something a bit closer to the floor downstairs it would look much better. Having them all dark or the same color will give your home a better visual flow.

Great explanitory pictures and what a transformation. It is so easy to be scared of projects like these, but time and planning result in a job well done. PS LOVE the Cat – would love to see a cheeky paw print somewhere for a great talking point.

73. Sarah Jane says

I totally love love love this…now just convincing my husband that I can do this and get rid of our “gorgeous” old teal carpet! Thank you for all your amazing ideas!

74. Denise says

Love the look of your new steps…my staircase looks identical and I hope to do something similar. I peeled back the carpet last night to reveal…white, painted bullnose hardwood treads. The bullnose and hardwood were welcome surprises but the white paint not so much. Do you think this means I should paint instead of stain like Thrifty Chick did? Any suggestions?

75. Chris says

You’re steps look gorgeous!!! I am in the process of doing the exact same project so this was helpful. One question: I too have tons of staple marks on my stairs. How did you handle that? Did you use wood filler or did you just embrace the imperfection and let it go? :)
    Thanks and good job!

Hi Chris – We sanded them down as best we could – that did help, but we do still have a few staple holes. If you are staining the steps – the wood filler doesn’t take the stain in the same way as the the wood, so we opted to embrace the imperfection. They are hardly noticeable after the stain and poly went on.

• Chris says

Thanks Diane! I’m with you regarding the wood putty. I never could make it work for me on other projects so I’m just going to go with the “natural” look. :) Thanks for your input!

76. LizN says

Love your stairs! I am trying to convince my husband that we could do the same thing. How long did it take you to do this project from start to finish?

77. Hana says

Hi Diane . You are so creative ! Love looking your stuff and i really feel great. I want to change our tiles flooring and I think I’m gonna start on my staircase .. Do you have advice ? Thanks.

78. Sally says

My husband was going to paint ours, but after seeing your success was motivated to do outs. He stripped, sanded, conditioned, stained, poly’d and the end result is stunning. Also, we were unsure what color we wanted to paint our foyer, stairway and hall walls until we saw yours. It is the perfect color for our home and the other room colors that open in to the foyer.
    Thank you.
    Sally Lastrina

79. Natasha says

Hi, this is beautiful work! Great job! Did you use a sander, or did you sand it by hand? I have a hand sander…and the same soft pine wood.

Thank you so much for this tutorial! We’re in the middle of following your directions to do this to our stairs at the moment, and I have a question. We have the carpet and staples removed and have started sanding but their are some pretty noticeable little holes from where the staples were before. Did you use a wood filler or something to hide the staple holes? Thanks!

81. Beverly says

These are awesome. I am considering doing mine however I have a unique scenario in that the last 6 steps are oak but the rest (16 total) are pine. I will need to do something so that they are alike color wise. What do you recommend ?

Sorry to arrive late at the party but I just found your site. OMG! This is exactly what I’ve been wanting to do with my steps but I’ve been too afraid of what might be under the carpet. I have a question though. My upstairs is carpeted with the same as the steps. Did you leave the top/landing step carpeted and just start at the riser of the top step? If so, does the top look OK with the painted riser and carpeted beginning? Eventually I want wood upstairs but not ready to tackle that budget yet. Gotta go through your ideas. Love them! <3

83. Lon H. says

How did you remove the “Overspray” of the white paint the builder left behind on the stair treads that were to be stained?

Hi Lon – We sanded it off, I should say my husband did. :) It is what took the most time, we used an electric hand sander with medium grit and then finished it up with fine sandpaper, so it would be smooth when we put the stain and poly on.

84. Liz says

Gorgeous , thank you for the inspiration.
    We have oak staircase that’s stained and just poly’d, it’s very yellowed thru the years and just needs a makeover. I got a quote to have it done professionally, way to expensive. But your suggestions , have motivated me to DIY.
    I really dread stripping between the banisters, any suggestions on product or procedure? Greatly appreciate it.

Hi Liz – The stripping and sanding took the longest. We used a small palm sander with a pointy tip and a sanding block with heavy duty sandpaper on it. For the really stubborn stuff – use a chemical stripper. I just learned about one that has a fluffy thick consistency. It is called Smart Strip and doesn’t smell too bad. It is from Sherwin Williams. Another to try is called Citra-Strip. It is a lot of work – the sanding, the staining and poly goes very quickly. When you are all done – you will be rewarded for all your efforts.

85. Dee says

Beautiful!! I just bought a new built and have carpet on the stairs, yuk!! My banisters look exactly the same, hopefully the wood underneath is workable! Thanks for posting!

86. Sharon says

Your stairs look great. Our house was a repo 13 years ago and we actually had all the carpet replaced even on the stairs after moving in. I have always regretted that decision. I have been wanting to pull up the carpet for that past 5 years. Seeing your result is the push I needed. I do believe I will start slowly. Maybe one step at a time. Thanks for sharing your DIY.

87. Holly says

Beautiful! We are currently thinking about a reasonably-priced makeover for our stairway. Seeing your before and after makes me want to go home and tear the carpeting off and start today!

After (excitedly) reading this post, I went and got a flat-head screwdriver out of the drawer and peeked at what was under the nasty carpets on our stairs. (Whatever was I thinking, having pale beige carpet installed on stairs?) We had our house built some 15 years ago, and we were here every day during construction (corrected lots of mistakes before it was too late, that way), but neither my husband nor I could remember what they used for treads. I fully expected to see chipboard, but lo and behold, mine looked exactly like yours, white over-spray and all. I am so excited, yet, at the same time, it is very hard, now, to actually make myself pull that carpet off of that first step. How did you find the courage? Thanks for this post!

89. Chris says

Looks great BUT

I fell down a flight of stairs just like yours– slippery!

10 months recovery. Broken ankle, tibia, 6 screws and a metal plate.
    I’ll never walk the same again.

Consider partial carpeting or something that will afford you traction.

• Lisa M. says

Sorry to hear about your injury. Stairs can be very dangerous , no matter how they are finished – I have slipped and fallen several times on carpeted stairs! Go slow, pay attention, and ALWAYS use the handrail. That goes for kids, too.

90. Jen Leehr says

Thank you for making me believe I could do this myself! I had HIDEOUS mauve pink carpet on my steps and just assumed that I had plywood underneath. After seeing this I decided to check and I had the same bullnose steps! Everything is all sanded down (horrible mess and time consuming) but now I’m ready to fill the nail holes and then comes the stain. I’m so excited for this beautiful transformation I can hardly contain myself! Thanks for showing me the ropes!

Hi Jen – When I look at all the home improvement projects I have taken on, the staircase were the scariest to begin. It was hard starting, but like you, once I did and saw that they may just come out looking great, I got very excited. I knew if they didn’t we could just get carpet put over them again. I only wish I had done the project years ago. They are so easy to clean now, no more having to lug the vacuum and hoses up the steps :) You have the hard part done, you are almost there. Enjoy them!

91. amy says

Hi.
    I LOVE the outcome! What color is the stain you used? I have the colors for mine, but trying to match the stain color I want. I don’t want a dark, but not a light either. I have old (small plank) hard wood floors and want to match that color.

Thank you!

92. Vicki says

Diane, I noticed in your photos that the wall side of your stairs has a board and trim. mine does not, just flat wall. I took up our carpet and I noticed the sheet rock is cut uneven and there are gaps. I don’t want to put trim up, down and around all of the 15 steps. Do they make a precut trim board with steps cut out? Any suggestions?
    Thanx

93. Monika says

Great job, now what i can’t figure out is how would you deal with the top step if you were to go from carpet to wood? since most hardwood is about .75″ tall, would you have to add stair nosing then the hardwood planks behind it? if that’s the case then the top tread would be taller/thicker than the rest, no? Any thoughts?

Hi Monika – My top landing has bullnose on it already. It is carpeted so I did not have to figure out a fix to join it with hardwood. I think you can buy a piece of bullnose. It would fit right on top of the 90 degree angle of the step and would be level with the hardwood. This is what was done on my basement steps. It was done by flooring contractors so I am not sure exactly what they used, but it is seamless.

94. Dave says

Just moved to a new house…same pine stairs w/ bullnose and decorative moldings on side. I will be doing this project for sure. Thanks for the detailed process description. $40 and some sweat sounds better than $2,000.

95. Rebecca Purdie says

Followed your directions. This summer removed carpet from my stairs one night while my husband was at work. It took a while from start to finish because we had to order slats for the landing. But the final product was worth it. Would do this over again if I had to. Thanks for the detailed directions.

Hi Jamie – I did not use wood putty since I was going to stain the steps. It does not take the stain well and you would see the patches. I – or I should say my husband, Ed sanded them until they were smooth and the holes blended into the surface a bit more. If painting the steps, you could use it since paint is opaque.

Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up
    what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the
    whole thing. Do you have any suggestions for newbie blog writers?

I’d genuinely appreciate it.

97. Linda says

Beautiful job! I am thinking of taking on the same project in my house.
    How were you able to contain all the dust from the sanding?

98. Shaunna says

The stairs look great! I just pulled up my carpet and tool all the tack strips and staples out. What did you do to get the white paint off the edges of the pine boards? I started sanding it off, but there has to be an easier way. Thanks for your help!

Hi Shaunna –

We sanded the paint off, my husband did most of it. You could put some paint stripper on the areas, let it sit and then remove it a stripping sponge. This may leave some stubborn spots of paint still on, but they will be easier to sand off since they had stripper on them.

99. Ginger says

Hi I just removed our carpet and am starting my project today! Did you have to do any caulking? I have some gaps and not sure whether to use wood filler or caulk. I don’t think caulk will absorb the stain. Help!

Hi Ginger –

I did not have any caulking on my steps, just lots of staples and holes after removing all the staples. I would use wood filler, but make sure it is one that takes a stain. Some do not. The one I used to fill some bigger staple holes didn’t take the stain well on my steps. They are not big areas, so you don’t really notice them, but I know that there are some filers that take a stain better than others. I would ask at the home improvement store what brand name filler takes a stain.

100. Joseph says

I am going to redo my staircases as well — I am going to follow your instructions — this is great — thanks much for this wonderful post.

101. Jenny says

You have no idea how easy you just made my life!! This is exactly what I want to do and I have the exact same problem with the carpet. Thanks so much for the amazing tutorial!

102. Natasha McKenty says

Hi there! I LOVE what you’ve done, my stairs have been bugging me for years too. I am nervous to bite off more then I can chew but you have inspired me. My question to you is how do I decide what color to use for the stain? My upstairs is all hardwood so it would need to match. I have had a few estimates on hiring someone to color match the stain but they want $2000. If I can do it myself I would prefer it. Thanks!

Hi Natasha –

I bought Minwax stains in a few different colors and some pine boards since my steps are wood. I experimented on the boards mixing different stains together to get the color I wanted. I wanted them darker and chose the darkest color of grain from the hardwood in my foyer. If you want to match your hardwood, try to find what color it is – does it have more red or gold tones in it. Buy a few small cans of stain to find the one that matches the best. Use the pre-conditioner that I show in my post. It helps make the stain go on nice and even. After you practice on some scrap boards – it will give you the confidence to do it on your steps.

103. Leanne says

The steps look gorgeous!! We are in the middle of the same project! I really love your stain color…. Did you mix the stain in the can together? If so, what ratio? 1:1? I’m really having a hard time getting my color right. Thanks!

Hi Leanne –

I mixed the two colors right in the can, but you could mix it in an empty coffee can or plastic tub. I started with a 1:1 mix, but kept mixing the color until I liked the way it looked against the darkest color wood tone from the floor in the room. I am not sure the exact ratio of the stain when I got it to the color I liked. The stain also looks much darker when you first apply it, when it dries it does lighten up slightly.

104. Niah says

I’m SO FREAKIN’ IMPRESSED I could SCREEEEEAM- well it’s why I am screaming (LOL) ! Here’s why, well first your work and the outcome are simply GOOOOOORGEOUS! But secondly I have been pricing this service (stair reno and floors) it’s $1800 for JUST the stairs. It looks like my stairs (currently fulled smoother in disgusting carpet) are commercial grade plywood- with NO bullnose (major bummer) so I appreciate all you had to do to earn such a great staircase.

KUDOS to YOU! – okay my throat hurts- I will stop screaming now ;)

105. Niah says

In the (unlikely – but still remotely possible) chance I attempt to tackle this project can you please provide your supplies list. I really want to remove the carpeting on the stairs.

106. Michelle says

I absolutely LOVE the re-do!!! It inspired me to rip the carpet off of our stairs just this past week. Just to clarify, the minwax conditioner and stain is only for the tread, but is the polyurethane just to seal the tread or for the whole entire project including the white riser part as well? I’m looking forward to mimicking your staircase! Thanks so much for sharing.

Hi Michelle – I only used the stain pre-conditioner and the poly on the steps – not the painted risers. Since I used semi-gloss paint on the risers I did not need the poly, the risers on my steps have held up fine without it. You could use poly over the paint to help protect it – just make sure it is non-yellowing poly so that your white risers don’t change to yellow. Minwax Polycrylic is non-yellowing.

107. Eric says

Great job Diane. I just tackled my stairs and i am staining now. I know you have to do every other stair so you can still use them, but did you do all the stain first then poly, or did you stain and poly the first half then the others. I’m just wondering if i can do all the stain first but not sure if i can walk on stain with no poly.

Hi Eric – I did all the stain first and let it dry. Once it is dry you can step on it. Just make sure before you put the poly on that no smudges, dust or dirt got on the stained surface – I wiped them off with a damp lint free rag before I applied the poly.

108. Emily says

Hi Diane,
    Beautiful job! We are working on our staircase, which has a similar look to yours. How did you sand in between the spindles? I’m worried if I don’t sand as well there as on the rest of the tread, the stain will look uneven.

Thanks!

Hi Emily –

To sand the stairs between the balusters I used an attachment on the palm sander we had that gets into tight places. I also used a hand sanding block that is made for tight spaces. It is made by 3M. You can find them in the sandpaper aisle. It looks kind of like an iron. It has one pointed end. Mine is purple and silver.

109. Lorna says

hi! Your stairs are awesome…I wanted to do this too but I’m scared I might not do a very good job as you, but the good thing is I will try :) I have question what or how did you do to the carpet on top the last step going upstairs?

Hi Lorna – I left the carpet exactly how it was. The top step riser that I painted white is what meets the bullnose edge of the carpet on the 2nd floor. You can see the carpeted bullnose at the top of the staircase in the photos. Would love to have hardwood upstairs, but that won’t be happening for a long time. :-)

110. Jeannine says

Your description is so easy to follow and understand! Thank you! My problem is we have a landing that curves about 10 stairs up. Probably around 3′ x 4′ but odd shaped. It is plywood and the stairs are nice hardwood. Any thoughts or suggestions? I want to start ripping up carpet right this minute!!

Thank you again!

111. Sander says

It’s a very nice job, I must say. Looks like a $2000 staircase to me, instead of a $50 one :)
    Something I might try once.. thanks for all the tips and the inspiration!