My Foyer Staircase Makeover Reveal

by Diane Henkler on 01/19/2011

I finally got it finished.  The staircase makeover is DONE!  It took me a long time, but that was only because I only did a little bit each night, then the holidays came around and I put the project on hold.  If you decide to do this and worked on it a few hours a day, you could complete the project in just a few days.

Re-doing my staircase is something I wanted to do the minute I moved into my house – that was 17 years ago. I have always yearned for hardwood steps and white painted risers. Now I have them – yeah!!!   The carpet held up extremely well all that time, but after seeing so many successful stair makeovers on so many blogs, I decided it was worth a shot, plus it was actually a whole lot cheaper than having them cleaned!     Do you remember the before?

Before

Carpeted Steps and Risers

DIY Staircase Makeover Before

The Process

I always thought since my home was a builders spec house that the steps had no bull-nose.  But low and behold when I went to take a peek to see what was under the carpet I was surprised with bull-nose steps – a big plus.

The downside: the steps were not hardwood, but soft pine boards with lots of rough knots and imperfections. I didn’t let this stop me though.

Staircase Makeover in progress-going from carpet to stained hardwood

The hardest part of re-doing the stairs was the fact that they were opened on the outer edge. Removing the carpet between the balusters was tough and the carpet was adhered with glue and 20 staples on each outer edge.

How to make over a staircase with carpet to a stain and painted hardwood

Once I got all the staples out, the edges were pretty chewed up. My hubby help me sand them, but they were not perfect.  Each one had overspray on it from when the detail molding piece was installed by the builder.  This was hard to remove as each edge was rounded bull-nose.

Tutorial on how to remove carpet from a staircase

The very hardest part (you may not have this problem) was keeping track of where Trax the cat was.  I didn’t want little cat paws in the stain, paint, and poly.  He of course was curious to see what I was up to every time I worked on the steps.  He thought he was my helper.  He did end up one day with a bit of white paint on his tail.

There were also some other places were the carpet was hard to remove, but it finally all came off.

How to remove carpet from a staircase

With the hard part complete, it was now time to have fun with stain, poly, and paint.

DIY staircase makeover

Since the boards were soft pine. I used Minwax Pre-Stain Conditioner on each step before I stained them.  It prepares soft wood like pine to take the stain better. Once the pre-conditioner coat was on I had up until 2 hours to then apply the stain. I used the traditional Minwax stain in the yellow can. I wanted a dark enough color to hide the knots, but not too dark as I wanted it to coordinate with the darkest part of the grain in the floor and the banister as well as the sideboard in my foyer.  I ended up mixing the colors Provincial with Early American and applied it with and old rag.

I stained the steps first.  I took the advice of Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick who recommended in her tutorial to do this first as she painted her risers first and then when she stained the steps the stain got on the painted risers and was hard to get off.

I used Zinseer Bulls Eye Ultimate Polyurethane.  I applied 3 coats over a two day period, letting each coat dry thoroughly. I did every other step so we could still go up and down.  When those steps were complete, I did the others. I put post- it notes on the steps that could be stepped on, just  in case we forgot which steps were safe.

How to stain wood on a staircase and paint the risers

When I painted each riser and baluster I used Frogtape to mask out the areas I didn’t want the paint to touch.  It was a teeny bit time consuming putting tape around each baluster, but when I removed it I had perfect edges. I love using this tape, I think it is much better than the blue tape I used to use when painting.

Step by step tutorial on how to remove carpet from a staircase and stain the wood underneath

After

Hello gorgeous!!!

Staircase Makeover  After reveal

Why did I wait so long to reveal your hidden beauty?

DIY Staircase Makeover

I love my new stairs!  It was a very inexpensive project.  I already had the can of white paint (Sherwin Williams Alabaster) and the rest cost under $25.   Don’t they look so fresh and modern… and CLEAN?

DIY HOme Improvement -Removing carpet on a staircase and staining the wood

If your are considering re-doing a staircase in your home, all I can say is – Go Do It – now!  You will be sooo happy you did.

1 Chrissie January 19, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Wow! What a beautiful transformation. What a difference!

2 Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants January 20, 2011 at 12:12 am

Wow what a project! I think your husband owes you are really special dinner out! Fantastic job, really shines!

3 Linda January 20, 2011 at 12:23 am

The stairs look mah-velous! Why did you wait so long??? 8-) And add me to those saying “atta girl” to following your dream!

4 Kim January 20, 2011 at 12:41 am

Adore this!!!! You did such a great job! Beautiful!

5 StepJanie@cre8tive January 20, 2011 at 1:36 am

Wow Diane that is stunning!! It looks so fresh and bright now. I think the carpet must of been sucking up the light, who would of known! Great job, it looks fantasic.

6 Jan January 20, 2011 at 1:59 am

Well – my mind is trying to absorb all of this. To these stairs were just waiting for the right set of hands to manipulate them into something gorgeous. You tutorial is marvelous, although I can’t figure out the purpose of the white spray paint. I can’t imagine that you used the spray paint on the balusters, yet, with your skills, I wouldn’t put anything past you. You’ve give me great inspiration and even better — a picture to show my husband so that he will be equally inspired. Congratulations on a beautiful staircase. It’s beautiful.

7 Diane January 20, 2011 at 11:00 am

HI Jan-
The spray paint is what the builder did when he was building the house. They sprayed the balusters and the decorative trim pieces under the side of each step white. You can see it on the other side of the steps also against the wall. Then they put the carpet on. When I removed the carpet the white overspray was on the steps. I had to remove it with lots of sandpaper!

8 Traci January 20, 2011 at 2:32 am

Your stairway looks fabulous. You were so right when you said it looks crisp, that is the perfect way to describe the look. I love the dark stain against the white.
Great job,
Traci

9 Teresa January 20, 2011 at 6:25 am

Those stairs are beautiful! I know it was a job because I had a stair case in another home that I made over. Such a great transformation.

10 Marianne January 20, 2011 at 6:30 am

WOW ~ the stairway turned out FABULOUS! Love it ;-)

11 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions January 20, 2011 at 6:32 am

Your stairs look beautiful, Diane! We have the same type of wood on our stairs and we pulled off our carpet several years ago. I would love to do this. I think it looks so good especially with the white risers, but as we hope to move this year I’m not taking on any major projects.

12 Debbie January 20, 2011 at 7:59 am

Simply beautiful and I truely admire the leap of faith you are taking!

13 Christine Aldinger January 20, 2011 at 8:19 am

oh my they did come out beautiful…..and my gosh your cat is huge!

14 La January 20, 2011 at 8:34 am

This turned out so beautifully. Nice job! La

15 Lisa January 20, 2011 at 8:44 am

Wow! They look absolutely amazing and elegant! I can tell how much work you must have put into that project and it looks like it was worth it! Love it!

16 Kim January 20, 2011 at 8:54 am

What a glorious makeover. I may have to tackle this some day. It looks so much better than the carpet. Lots of hard work, but so worth it. Right now I think the carpet may be safer for my little grand children.

17 pk @ Room Remix January 20, 2011 at 9:04 am

They’re beautiful, Diane. Fresh, clean, updated, pretty… Great job!

18 Shannon January 20, 2011 at 9:53 am

What a huge amount of work…but it paid off. It looks beautiful! I’m also glad you’re so happy with the life choices you’ve recently made. :)
Shannon

19 Shannon January 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

What a lot of work…that totally paid off! It looks really fabulous. And I’m so happy to hear of the life changes you’ve recently made…wtg!
Shannon
{aka}|design

20 Tracie January 20, 2011 at 10:02 am

OMG they are GORGEOUS!!!!! I LOVE the stain you chose….going to share on FB!!! Would you mind uploading a pic on my fb fan page??? Inspire others to do the same project….LOVE them! Congrats and great job!!!

21 Patricia in Denver January 20, 2011 at 10:27 am

Beautiful! Well worth the effort. You have inspired me to do mine, thanks.

22 Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality January 20, 2011 at 10:30 am

Diane, wow wow wow those are gorgeous!! You had some great steps to work with. What a great color & look. You rock!!

23 Erin January 20, 2011 at 10:51 am

I have thought of doing this, and I must say your stairs are looking amazing! Great job and great tips!

24 Pam @ Frippery January 20, 2011 at 10:59 am

Gorgeous! How did you get them cleaned up enough for stain? I had the exact same type of stairs under my carpet I they were so painted and dinged up that I just went ahead and painted them white. Now they are a mess all the time. I need to repaint and poly and hope for the best or get a runner.

25 Diane January 20, 2011 at 11:30 am

hi Pam-

My husband and I took turns sanding to get them smooth and paint free. There are a few place where a bit of paint was set deep into the wood that we could not remove. The stain covered it a bit, but when you look at the steps as a whole you don’t notice the imperfections.

26 Kylie C February 1, 2013 at 7:47 pm

We had steps that were too much of a mess to stain too! We went with a glossy black for the steps and white risers- they turned out very classy looking. I think the glossy paint hold up a lot better than the matte, we’ve had to re-touch the white risers but not the black after 2.5 years.

27 Sonya January 20, 2011 at 11:29 am

I LOVE this transformation. Stunning and Beautiful! I’d love to do this in my own home! Maybe one of these days!

28 Jenny@Evolution of Style January 20, 2011 at 11:55 am

What a gorgeous transformation! You did a tremendous job. I love it!

29 courtney@ andthentherewashome January 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Amazing. What a find to see those lovely rounded steps under that carpet. I wonder what lays under my ugly carpet.. hmmm.

30 Diane January 20, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Hi Coutney-

I wish I had looked years ago, but I always assumed it would be plain boards. Take a peek, you may be surprised.

31 Heidi January 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Love them! OH please….come do this for me!!! LOL
We have “out door” stairs as our inside entryway stairs, our “main” level is one floor up (so we can enjoy the view of the valley outside our home).

We need to rip out the construction grade 2X6′s (2 for each step) and replace with a bull-nose piece. Then repair, paint, stain, etc.

we haven’t even started……..thanks for the inspiration!
Heidi Be Happy Today!

32 Gaby @ Give a Hoot {After but Before} January 20, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Your stairs look fabulous!!! I bought all the supplies yesterday, and am sitting here contemplating whether or not I really want to take on this massive of a project. We have a split level foyer AND a full staircase that goes to the third floor. Sooo many stairs.

33 Diane @ home sweet homemade January 20, 2011 at 1:56 pm

you did such a great job and made it look really easy (from where I’m sitting), but I KNOW it was a whole lot of hard work. I’ve done some demolition projects in my house before and remember well! But it is beautiful and makes your home appear so fresh and young! Just like a facelift for the home. :)

34 Bella Michelle January 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Oh. MY!!!!! They look wonderful. We have some steps here that need some TLC and I just hope when I tackle them it will be even half as gorgeous as yours.

35 Marty January 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm

OMGosh, I totally love it!! It reminds me of our staircase in the home we just bought….now you have my wheels turning!! lol

36 Lou Cinda January 20, 2011 at 5:23 pm

GORGEOUS INDEED!!! So beautiful and I know it is worth all the trouble and cat tracking you had to do!

This is stunning!

Lou Cinda

37 Heidi Roylance January 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Your patience paid off! That wood looks so beautiful!

38 Liz January 20, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Beautiful, just beautiful!! We had a very similar project with the stairs and floors. I posted on my blog decoratingtheville.blogspot.com
Thanks for sharing!

39 Cindy @ Custom Comforts January 20, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Your steps are just gorgeous!!! What a beautiful transformation. Great job!
Cindy

40 Sandy January 20, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Congratulations on your stairway transformation! I did basically the same thing in the last house I owned, except the treads were oak. There were thousands of staples holding the old dirty carpet (from the former house owner) in place. Before selling the house 12 years later, I repainted the risers to give them a fresh look.

41 Diana K January 20, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Wow! What a lot of work…but what a transformation. I love the way it looks and I love the way pine “feels” underfoot~if that makes sense…it is just a softer walk.

We have pulled out thousands of staples over the years preparing areas to be refinished and painted. I know your pain!!! But OH! It was SO worth it-your job is perfect! Hugs-Diana

42 claire rose January 20, 2011 at 9:16 pm

This looks magnificent-what a beautiful staircase-nice job-I’m your newest follower-Come by to visit-Claire

43 Lisa January 20, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Beautiful….now I want to do mine!

44 Erin January 21, 2011 at 12:51 am

I am so EXCITED your stairs look just like mine with the carpet around the edge and same dingy color (no offense) and I just pulled up a carpet piece and woohoo I have the same stairs. I hope mine can look as amazing as yours. I want to start tonight…but it is almost midnight :( Great job!!!

45 theresa October 9, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I want to start tonight too!! :)

46 Mary January 21, 2011 at 9:16 am

WOW! What a beautiful job! Simply stunning!

47 Sarah January 21, 2011 at 10:32 am

What an amazing transformation! Thank you for sharing! It is an inspiration to see people tackle remodel jobs that seem like so much work! You make it look easy!

48 Ann January 21, 2011 at 11:07 am

AWESOME! Man, that’s some project, though. I may just have to wait till my kids are in college. ;)

49 Diane January 22, 2011 at 10:23 am

Hi Ann-

I did wait till my kids were in college – one is already out. :) Wish I had done it sooner as they look so much better. I know my girls would have liked them better, too.

50 Kim January 21, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I know that was hard work! They look great ~

51 Courtney January 22, 2011 at 12:55 am

Hi there- these are absolutely gorgeous!!!! I love how your stairs came out- WELL DONE!!! :)

52 Lilianna Grace January 22, 2011 at 1:30 am

Wow! You are truly amazing and incredibly talented. I’m so glad you are back. It was only a week of you not blogging, but I noticed, and I missed you. I’m happy to hear that you are on your way to simplifing things and most importantly, making yourself happy.

53 Holly Austin January 22, 2011 at 9:22 am

This looks like it was extremely time consuming and maybe took LOTS of patience… the result is so worth it, it looks fabulous!!

54 Carrie January 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I found your site last night through Funky Junk Interiors and loved your stairs. Our stairs look alike (well they did) with the carpet. I believe your last words were GO DO IT! Well, since my husband was out of the house I looked at my son and said “we can do this” and so, we started. It has been a long time since I have been that excited! We got the carpet off of three stairs last night! I just keep seeing your end result! I am inspired! But, you should have seem my husbands face when he got home….I CAN DO IT! Thanks so much for sharing!

55 laura January 22, 2011 at 9:51 pm

oh diane – they look beautiful! my steps can’t wait for you to come over and work your magic! i even have 2 cats to keep you company!!!! :)

great job!

56 ColleenwithMurals&More January 22, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Phenomenal! What a lot of work, but oh-so worth it! You made me giggle with Trax! I can imagine. When I had kittens, I made a wedding dress. 9 yards of satin that rustled every time it moved. It was just too much for the kitties! I finally resorted to cutting the dress out in a small bedroom with the door shut rather than the large living room floor. The whole time I could see tiny little paws poking under the door!

Would love for you to drop by and link up to Passion for Paint this weekend.

57 Michelle @Thrifty 101 January 23, 2011 at 12:31 am

Wow, Great job! It looks amazing. You should link up at DIY Thrifty Thursday @ http://www.thrifty101.blogspot.com

58 Funky Junk Interiors January 23, 2011 at 4:18 am

Oh my goodness… totally stunning beyond words! I actually can’t believe that’s the same wood!

Amazing, Diane! Well done!

Donna

59 Magali January 23, 2011 at 4:38 am

Wonderful and very inspiring… I like the idea of having the white only on the “counter step” (don’t know the English word, but you get me, don’t you?… please say yes!). It seems the staircase looks “happier”.

60 Maria January 23, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Well done and lovely!! What a difference with sooo little money invested. Worth the the time for sure.

61 Allison @ House of Hepworths January 23, 2011 at 4:42 pm

So cute! I will be featuring your project this Thursday at my weekly link party, Hookin Up with HoH #34.

I’m letting you know in advance as I’ll be out of town during the party and will be unable to notify you on Thursday.

Please feel free to stop by and grab a button on Thursday!

~Allison @ House of Hepworths

62 SJN January 23, 2011 at 11:26 pm

They are beautiful! I’m planning to do mine this month too, along with changing the balusters to wrought iron.

63 Lacy@The Inspired Nest January 24, 2011 at 8:05 am

The stairs are gorgeous and really updated your house! Congrats, I know you have to love it!
Lacy

64 abeachcottage January 24, 2011 at 9:26 am

What a great revamp of the staircase! Absolutely love it! Well done.

65 Rene January 24, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Your stair case looks a hundred times better and I love your choice of stain color. Very nice.

-Rene

66 Laurie January 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Wow! I am so impressed. The stairs look beautiful. Your hard work paid
big dividends!!!

67 Tammy@InStitches January 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm

They look great ! I”m jealous……… in the middle of doing mine now but I have yucky stairs under my carpet so I had to buy treads.

68 Jen January 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm

THANK YOU – I just checked my stairs and under the worn out carpet is bullnose treads – I showed my husband and now we are giddy to do this ourselves…

69 Handy Man, Crafty Woman January 26, 2011 at 10:43 pm

that. is. awesome!! We did the same thing to our stairs; when we moved in, they had yukky carpet. So much better now!

70 Deena January 26, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Beautiful, and your cat is awesome!

71 ChrisE January 27, 2011 at 7:20 am

Found your blog from the HoH hookup. LOVE the stair make-over!! It turned out absolutely perfect! Congratulations!!!

72 Revenda Bierley January 27, 2011 at 8:29 am

Wow, thank you for the inspiration! They are lovely. I am so going to tackle my own ugly carpeted steps. Thanks again!

73 Denise January 27, 2011 at 5:17 pm

wow, this is amazing! So envious of your beautiful new staircase! ;)
I’d do this in a heartbeat, but have heard from other bloggers where the builder did a slapdash kinda job, that there were gaps between the risers and stair treads. I have a feeling that would be my luck. Yours were very nicely done even with carpet covering them!
Found you through Tuesday’s Treasures!

74 m @ random musings January 27, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I’m pretty sure this is the best quality diy step-staining I’ve seen in blogland. The stain color is truly gorgeous!

75 Dianne January 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm

How beautiful!!!! I have never used frog tape before..I’m going to have to get some of that…

76 Darla Baerg January 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm

What is the shade of your walls? I am doing alabaster white in my house too and haven’t picked a wall color yet. Thanks!

Stairs look great!

77 Diane January 28, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Hi Darla-

The paint color on the walls in my foyer is one of the Ben Moore Pottery Barn colors called Edgecomb Gray # HC-173. I love Alabaster for the trim – it is the perfect go between color that is not too white white or off white. Happy painting!

78 Theresa Barlow January 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Oh my goodness, I just stumbled across your blog today and fell in love with your staircase! you did an awesome job, it looks really good. I have been trying to find the courage to do that to mine and you have made it look like it could actually be done! Thank you so much for sharing!

79 Ashley @ One in the SAHM January 28, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I know I’ve seen these re-do’s everywhere lately, and I love them each time, but seriously your explanations, and tutorial, is SO specific and detailed. I literally at each step was like “Oh, I could do that!”. Thank you thank you! If I can talk my husband into letting me take on this project, I’ll be sure to link back to you!

80 Melissa @ HOUSEography January 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm

That is so wonderful! Great job! We’ve pulled carpet off our stairs before and it was a pain but so worth it in the end!

81 Samantha January 28, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I just love love love your staircase! It just looks so wonderful. Great job! Popping over from TDC!!

82 Jill January 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Your stairs are Beautiful!! I have been wanting to try this but my husband thinks our three kids would slip down the stairs. And with poly? Do they seem slippery? I would love to convince my husband that the kids won’t fall:)

83 Randi January 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Saw you on Thrifty Decor Chick … your stair makeover is amazing. I really want to do this in my house but haven’t yet convinced my husband. Are the stairs slippery? And has the stain held up well or does it look worn as the kids trample up and down?

84 Pam January 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Wow..they look great. I had no clue about that stuff that makes the pine take the stain better. I redid mine a few yrs back but my steps did not have the curved fronts, then there was the stain issue….so I ended up putting peel and stick flooring that came in strips and looked like wood….but I love this.

85 Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants January 29, 2011 at 1:03 am

Look at you! Hanging out with TDC!!! Did your blog blow up today??? Mine did when she spotlighted me a couple of days ago. Again a great job!

86 Jen January 29, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I love this! (I found you via Thrifty Decor Chick). One question: do you notice a big difference in the amount of noise? I’ve got a heavy footed husband, two school age kids, and two cats. I’m wondering if the aesthetic value would override the noise.

87 Diane January 29, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hi Jen-

My husband initally didn’t like the way it sounded when we walked up and down right after we took the carpet off. We were so used to no sound, perhaps a creak or two. Now we are used to it and the aesthetic value far outweighs the noise factor for us. If you are on the fence, perhaps you can add sisal tread runners. They look fresh and modern, but add a no-slip cushioning. Tracie over at Cleverly Inspired just did this because her dog was having trouble navigating the new steps.

88 Amanda @ the Hand Me Down House January 30, 2011 at 5:32 pm

OMG Diane — What a fantastic makeover! Absolutely stunning! It completely changes the entire look of the hall away! You did such a great job!

89 Anne J January 30, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Gorgeous! That looks so great! Also looks like a lot of hard work- good job : )

90 Shannon February 1, 2011 at 7:11 pm

It looks fantastic! I’ve been dying to do this with our stairs and you’re pushing me in the right direction. :) Quick question, though… From the pictures it looks like you still have carpet upstairs. How did you transition from the new steps to the old carpet? Did you have to cut and reattach anything?

91 Mary February 3, 2011 at 12:33 pm

The stairs look fabulous; I’ve just started on mine & have a quick question. I can’t find the Zinsser Bullseye polyurethane anywhere (and I live in the Atlanta area); have tried Home Depot, True Value Hardware & Ace hardware. They all carry Zinssser products but not this particular one. Do you have an alternative to recommend?
Many thanks — Mary

92 Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal February 6, 2011 at 1:09 am

Oh wow, those turned out beautiful! I would love to do this to our. I don’t have any over hang on our steps. They just sort of waterfall down. You did a great job!

93 Revenda Bierley March 14, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Okay, I told you I have been inspired. Have a look for yourself.

Thank you!

94 Erica Cooper April 8, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Your stairs turned out awesome and they were totally worth all of the hard work you put into them. Thanks for sharing your details…. it sounds like a project more homeowners should tackle… the results are so worth it! I am sure you will enjoy them each and every time you go up or down!

95 Connie April 10, 2011 at 11:10 pm

LOVE the new steps! I have almost the exact same carpeting on our steps that lead to our basement level. They too are fine “as is” ….we usually take our shoes off when coming indoors so they don’t get dirty very often. BUT, oh how I would love to remove the carpet so I could just sweep the dirt down to the bottom and vacuum it up off the floor itself. I wouldn’t have to use all the attachments for the vacuum to do the steps. It would be so time-saving! And we could come in from outside with work shoes on…like on those days doing messy, spring clean-up!…and not have to take off our shoes! At the bottom we could put a small rug on the area before the tile starts near the bathroom. (That would come in very handy at times…if you know what I mean. –wink, wink!)

Again beautiful stairs! Never underestimate plain old pine!

96 Rhonda April 12, 2011 at 11:30 pm

The stairs are beautiful. What if underneath your carpet is plywood and no bull nose (over lap)? I desparately want to redo mine.

Thank you for whatever suggestions you have.

97 Diane April 13, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I have seen it done with square edge steps, too – the bullnose does give it a more polished feel – but if the plywood on your steps is in good condition without not too many knots – you may not even notice that the edge is square not rounded. If I can find the site where I saw the steps I will forward the link to you.

98 Ann February 26, 2012 at 10:26 am

Hi Diane,

I am wondering…I have an overhang on my steps, but it is not rounded. (Currently under carpet.) Any ideas on what to do in this situation? Just let them be squared? Or is that dangerous/ugly/all of the above? The wood seems pretty solid…

99 Diane February 27, 2012 at 9:01 am

Hi Ann-

I have seen steps without a bullnose edge refinished and they look fine. The overall impression of stained steps and white risers will be achieved no matter what the edge is like. You may not even notice it after they are done. If they are in good shape I would just let them be square.

100 Debbie August 7, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I am new to your blog, and LOVING your tips. I have been hating the carpet on my steps but was not sure if we would think plain wood would feel too ‘cold’, but I love the way they look.
I have a question for you: My steps have a ‘landing’ separating the staircase. I’m wondering how that would look stained like the steps or would it look funny? I know keeping it carpet would look worse. maybe with a side table on the landing it wouldn’t look so bad.
Not sure how brave I am to try this.

101 ellenn sarmiento September 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm

It’s beautiful !!! I hope my staircase in the foyer will turn out the same as yours or even better than I expected. My husband and I hire somebody to do this job, for about $1200.00. We’ll end up blaming each other if we did it ourselves and it did not turn out right. In addition to that, he does not have that much patience doing this time consuming kind of work. Do you guys think I’m paying too much? I would like to send you the picture of before and after.

Thanks,
Ellen

102 Lisa M. February 29, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Hi Diane,

Gorgeous stairs, congrats. I plan to do this same project but am concerned about major scuffing on the painted white risers (we have pets and young kids). Can you kindly provide reviews on this issue after living with it for awhile? I am considering tiling the riser as a more durable alternative, but this would be more expensive and time consuming than paint. Or maybe I make a rule – no shoes on the stairs. Thanks!

103 Diane February 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Hi Lisa-

My kids are grown, but I do have two dogs and a cat who constantly go up and down on them. I haven’t had any problems at all with the risers. They look very nice and I am still thrilled at how they came out. Perhaps if you use a very durable enamel or high gloss paint that you can wipe clean – might help if you think they are going to take a beating – the no shoes on the stairs or even when in the house rule is a good one :) You could try the paint and see how it holds up. If it takes a beating you can always tile over the paint.

104 Lisa M. March 1, 2012 at 12:03 am

Excellent advice, thank you! I’m so glad I found your blog.

105 Lisa M. February 14, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Diane, I just finished my stairs, and they are simply gorgeous! I won’t lie – this project was tedious, and some days my body ached from sitting on the hard surface, hunched over pulling out staples and patching holes. But it was SO worth it! After a short break, I plan on moving forward with Phase 2: adding carsiding (wide beadboard) and ledge to the staircase walls, painted to match the risers and stringers. Thank you for all the useful advice you provided and for being my inspiration. I am just thrilled that I was able to do this! I love your blog!

106 FatJan March 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I need help.

I’m replacing all the carpet throughout the entire house with hardwood flooring but the stairs I want to re-do them just the way you have with stain and paint. I need suggestions on what type of stair strip I should use at the very top of the stairs so that it blends in with the new hardwood flooring. Note: I do not want to put in a stair nose because the stairs already have a square bullnose/lip.

Thanks…

107 Diane March 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Is there carpet on the floor where the stairs lead or hardwood? Mine was carpeted and I left it in place.

108 FatJan March 22, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Yes, carpet is everywhere and I want to remove all of it. I’m in the process of putting down hardwood on all floors except the stairs.

109 FatJan March 22, 2012 at 1:26 pm

There will be hardwood on the floors. :) …Love your ideas by the way..

110 kiki March 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Those look fantastic…looks like what I’m going for. My big question is, how do take up the carpet on the stairs to get a look the quality of the wood underneath? And is it difficult to reattach that carpet if it’s not quality wood? Do you need a professional do that?

Thanks to anyone who can answer!

111 Diane March 28, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Hi Kiki-
To see what my stairs looked like under the carpet, I carefully peeled back the carpet on the bottom step. It was pieced where the fist step ended, and the riser for the 2nd step started. I used an awl and a flat head screwdriver to gently pull it back. I did not remove the carpet- only peeled it back. Be careful as there are a ton of staples and carpet tack stripping. Once I saw that they were nice, I ripped the carpet off. If the steps were not nice, I would have just placed the carpet back in place and back over the carpet tack stripping. Use a hammer to make sure the carpet sticks back into the tack stripping.

112 joan March 31, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Love the stairs so we took our carpet off. We do have that soft pine but our steps turn and where the landing is, they used a piece of subfloor-yuck. Does anyone have any suggestions what we can do to match it to pine steps????

113 Diane March 31, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Hi Joan – Not sure the size of your landing, but you may want to look at a veneer. Here is a link to one site: http://oakwoodveneer.com/veneer/pine.html
If you do a Google search for Pine Veneer you will probably find a veneer that matches your pine and will be the size you need. You would need to protect it with polyurethane just like the steps.

114 Kari April 20, 2012 at 9:08 am

Diane – This post caught my eye as soon as I found your blog. What a transformation! When we moved into our house the carpeted stairs were hideous. After six years of judicious vacuuming and cleaning, they are now merely ugly. The old light beige carpet was almost black at the edges by the wall! Doesn’t anybody clean the edges??? You have inspired me to finally give it a try. Fortunately, the lower stairs are open and painted white around the balisters. This also gives me more good news – the steps are bullnose because of this designe choice of the builder. Yipee!!
Thanks for the inspiration and how-to. Wish me luck!

115 FatJan April 26, 2012 at 12:38 am

Hi, it’s me again..

Here is a link to my youtube posting that shows my stair/floor reno project. This should give you a better idea of what I am faced with. I am having a hard time deciding what to use as a stair strip to go at the very top of the stairs (landing). The idea is to make the new flooring and the re-done stairs clean and professional looking.

Please send a reply after viewing my video:

116 Sonya Noga April 27, 2012 at 12:13 am

I just love what you did! What a difference! You have inspired me to tackle my own staircase. The last bid we got was for $6000.00 to take off carpet, paint and refinish my staircase. I think I will give it a try! I’ll let you know how it goes!

117 Becky April 27, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I love this!!! Going to tackle it this week! How did you separate the carpet from the upstairs?

118 Diane April 27, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Hi Becky. The second floor carpet ended right under the bullnose where it meets the top steps- riser. There was a separate piece of carpet going up the steps that ended right under that second floor bullnose. I just kept the carpet intact on the second floor. You can see it in the last two photos in the post.

119 Mattelderca May 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm

As a general contractor and electrician I commend you on your work and thank you for the great idea for our own steps!

120 Leah May 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Beautiful! I just paid $400 to have carpet removed and steps stained….and that does not include having the risers painted….that is something I have to do now!

121 Diane May 15, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Hi Leah- Hope the painting went or is going well. I bet they look beautiful!

122 Rhonda May 27, 2012 at 8:39 am

I would like to do this same thing. But, how do you keep the steps from being slippery. My family runs around barefoot or in sock feet. I’m concerned about falling. Did you do something to the steps to keep them from being slippery?

123 Lee May 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I am in the middle of doing my stairs. I have been sanding and sanding…. My treads have white paint on the sides where they painted the surrounding trim. In your pictures it looks like you did not take all of the paint off of your treads before staining. Does all of this paint have to be removed for the stain to look right? I am having a hard time getting it all off. Thanks!

124 Janet June 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm

When putting the stain on the stairs, did you have to sand the stairs to get the overspray off? Or were you able to stain to right over it? They look beautiful!

125 Diane June 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Thanks Janet – Yes, I or I should say he – my husband sanded all the over sprayed paint off the steps. If you don’t the stain will not take – it will look like a big blotch. My husband used a small sander to get into the corners and edges.

126 Christina June 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm

amazing! I have wanted to do this since we moved in our house. Could you tell your steps were rounded under the carpet? Are they slick? I’m soo inspired.

127 George June 20, 2012 at 11:54 pm

My wife found this. She got inspired to give me a new project. Looks much better than the alternative I’ve been dreading…either using hardwood flooring or buying treads…both expensive.

Anyway, has anyone tried this on subfloor? I imagine it could work, but I doubt my subfloor is in good enough shape to try this.

128 Sistergirl July 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I also have the light carpet. That looks so professional. You did such a great job, I am going to try it. I have always had carpeting so I am a little nervous about having cold feet, lol.

129 debbiedoos August 2, 2012 at 12:30 am

Unbelievable!~ They looks gorgeous!

130 Shannon Fox August 2, 2012 at 12:32 am

It’s so beautiful now!! You should be so proud :) It’s looks just lovely!

131 Michelle Britton August 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I really want to attempt this project. One question: What did you do for the staple holes? Did you use wood putty? Did you have any cracks?

132 Diane August 7, 2012 at 12:31 am

Hi Michelle -

We sanded the steps quite a bit. I say we as my husband had the strength to really smooth the wood and eliminate or smooth out the holes. There were still a few that were not smoothed over by the sanding and I left them alone. If you fill them you have to make sure the stain will take on the filler. If not – you will be left with spots of un-stained areas. Since the stain I used was dark – you don’t even notice the holes that were not smoothed over. They look like they are just part of the woods imperfections. I did not have any cracks.

133 Linda @ Home is Where My Heart is August 22, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Just found your blog on Pinterest and had to see your process for your staircase. I’m dying to do mine but I don’t have the nice wood under the carpet. We’ll have to add a step. Your stairs make me want to do mine NOW. You did a great job! Beautiful! ~Linda

134 thehavenmaven September 2, 2012 at 8:24 am

So inspiring! I think thia is just what I needed to give me a vote of confidence to tackle my stairs. Bravo.

135 theresa October 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hi! I just got home from the store and was pricing treads since the guy who did my floors said he looked under the carpet on my stairs and said “nope can’t use those, they just have to be recarpeted”….so I assumed it was plywood! I never looked under myself and i just lifted rug on the bottom 3 and it looks like pine! I think you just saved me a bunch of money!! :):)

136 Catherine Waldron October 15, 2012 at 9:51 am

Great makeover! What sheen of paint did you use for the white paint on the stairs? My husband wants to use high gloss white, but I think that might be too shiny? Thanks!

137 Diane October 15, 2012 at 10:14 am

Hi Catherine – Semi-gloss. Tell him the more shine the more imperfections you will see.

138 Catherine Waldron October 15, 2012 at 10:19 am

Thanks Diane!

139 Elaine October 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I did everything you told me to and I am so happy I did. Like you I dont know why I waited so long, I love my new look on the stairs, Thank you so much for all the info. Everyone said I couldnt do it. Now I just laugh at them. Again thanks!

140 Diane October 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

Hi Elaine – Every time I go up and down mine, I still smile and it has been over a year since I did them. It has made a huge difference in the way my house looks and feels. Happy to hear you didn’t listen to the naysayers :)

141 Irene October 24, 2012 at 7:11 am

I too, as some many others have noted, am inspired by your transformation. My question is how are the treads holding up after this past year; are they starting to show any wear?

142 Diane October 24, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hi Irene-
When my daughter brought her dog, Kindii home to live with my husband and I, my first thought was – there goes the stairs, but I have been happily surprised. They have held up far better than I expected. The bottom step has some light scratches on it since Kindii swiftly pivots on it to get up and down. The rest of the steps have held up wonderfully. I am super happy. One of the best parts – cleaning them is a breeze. I use a Swiffer. It collects all the dust and dirt.

143 Alex October 24, 2012 at 9:07 am

Looks great ! I have the exact same stairs. Question what did you do about the small staple holes in the risers ; did you fill them in with something ?

144 Diane October 24, 2012 at 9:21 am

Hi Alex – I did not fill them in. Since I was going pretty dark with the stain and have not had luck getting filler to take stain well on previous projects – I opted to just sand the holes as smooth as we could get them to make them less visible.

145 Alex October 24, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Diane again you did a great job thank you so much for your response ; you have inspired me to follow in your footsteps !

146 helen October 30, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Beautiful job Diane. Am in the process of redoing my steps. What sheen was your poly and was it water based? Did you use one or two coats of stain? I am following your instructions to the letter!

147 Cobie November 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Hi diane. I love your beatiful stairs and want to go this way updating my stairs instead of the overfitting steps system that leaves you with an awkward too high step and too low higest step.
What made you decide on the color of the stain on your steps. Like you I also have a blond colored hardwood on the main floor. But your color on the steps works very well. Do you have hardwood upstairs too? That is the same color or the steps? At the moment I have the same tired carpet on the second floor as on the steps. So I want hardwood upstairs too. I thougyT I had to keep everything the same color as on the main floor, but maybe I can do a mediun stain like yours on the steps AND second floor too. My husband though. Prefers a dark color though but would that be too much of a difference even if I kept it the same stain color on the steps and upstairs. Would that look weird?
What are your thoughts?

148 Diane Henkler November 29, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Hi Cobie -

The hardwood on my 1st floor, is a medium color. The light adds a shine to them in the photos making them look lighter than they actually are. It is a lighter color than the steps, though. I went with using a darker stain on the steps for two reasons. The first was to hide the knots in the wood, since the steps were made of pine. The second was to match a piece of furniture I have in my foyer – it is dark wood. The floors are a medium wood color. Not blond, not dark. I felt the dark stain balanced the space. Dark accents on either side – steps and the furniture. Medium floor and banister. I do not have hardwood upstairs – still carpet.

As far as mixing colors, I don’t think I would mix light blond floors with dark steps – that would be too drastic of a color change. If you can go a bit lighter – something a bit closer to the floor downstairs it would look much better. Having them all dark or the same color will give your home a better visual flow.

149 Abigail Hall January 7, 2013 at 9:17 am

Great explanitory pictures and what a transformation. It is so easy to be scared of projects like these, but time and planning result in a job well done. PS LOVE the Cat – would love to see a cheeky paw print somewhere for a great talking point.

150 Sarah Jane February 14, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I totally love love love this…now just convincing my husband that I can do this and get rid of our “gorgeous” old teal carpet! Thank you for all your amazing ideas!

151 Denise February 17, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Love the look of your new steps…my staircase looks identical and I hope to do something similar. I peeled back the carpet last night to reveal…white, painted bullnose hardwood treads. The bullnose and hardwood were welcome surprises but the white paint not so much. Do you think this means I should paint instead of stain like Thrifty Chick did? Any suggestions?

152 Chris March 6, 2013 at 1:30 pm

You’re steps look gorgeous!!! I am in the process of doing the exact same project so this was helpful. One question: I too have tons of staple marks on my stairs. How did you handle that? Did you use wood filler or did you just embrace the imperfection and let it go? :)
Thanks and good job!

153 Diane Henkler March 6, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Hi Chris – We sanded them down as best we could – that did help, but we do still have a few staple holes. If you are staining the steps – the wood filler doesn’t take the stain in the same way as the the wood, so we opted to embrace the imperfection. They are hardly noticeable after the stain and poly went on.

154 Chris March 18, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Thanks Diane! I’m with you regarding the wood putty. I never could make it work for me on other projects so I’m just going to go with the “natural” look. :) Thanks for your input!

155 LizN March 19, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Love your stairs! I am trying to convince my husband that we could do the same thing. How long did it take you to do this project from start to finish?

156 Hana March 19, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Hi Diane . You are so creative ! Love looking your stuff and i really feel great. I want to change our tiles flooring and I think I’m gonna start on my staircase .. Do you have advice ? Thanks.

157 Sally March 24, 2013 at 11:37 am

My husband was going to paint ours, but after seeing your success was motivated to do outs. He stripped, sanded, conditioned, stained, poly’d and the end result is stunning. Also, we were unsure what color we wanted to paint our foyer, stairway and hall walls until we saw yours. It is the perfect color for our home and the other room colors that open in to the foyer.
Thank you.
Sally Lastrina

158 Natasha April 6, 2013 at 10:38 am

Hi, this is beautiful work! Great job! Did you use a sander, or did you sand it by hand? I have a hand sander…and the same soft pine wood.

159 Diane Henkler April 7, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Hi Natasha – We used a sander with medium grit sandpaper and lots of pressure – my hubby did most of it. :)

160 Nora April 10, 2013 at 8:29 am

Thank you so much for this tutorial! We’re in the middle of following your directions to do this to our stairs at the moment, and I have a question. We have the carpet and staples removed and have started sanding but their are some pretty noticeable little holes from where the staples were before. Did you use a wood filler or something to hide the staple holes? Thanks!

161 Nora April 10, 2013 at 8:30 am

lol sorry…just noticed you JUST answered this question! Nevermind!

162 Beverly May 11, 2013 at 8:01 pm

These are awesome. I am considering doing mine however I have a unique scenario in that the last 6 steps are oak but the rest (16 total) are pine. I will need to do something so that they are alike color wise. What do you recommend ?

163 Adrianne C June 3, 2013 at 8:25 am

Sorry to arrive late at the party but I just found your site. OMG! This is exactly what I’ve been wanting to do with my steps but I’ve been too afraid of what might be under the carpet. I have a question though. My upstairs is carpeted with the same as the steps. Did you leave the top/landing step carpeted and just start at the riser of the top step? If so, does the top look OK with the painted riser and carpeted beginning? Eventually I want wood upstairs but not ready to tackle that budget yet. Gotta go through your ideas. Love them! <3

164 Diane Henkler June 3, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Hi Adrianne -
I kept the carpet on the very top step. If you look closely at the photo of my foyer in this post you can see the carpet. It looks fine, I don’t even notice it. I would love wood upstairs,too – someday :) http://inmyownstyle.com/2013/05/a-little-bit-of-fyi-and-faqs.html

165 Lon H. June 18, 2013 at 2:42 pm

How did you remove the “Overspray” of the white paint the builder left behind on the stair treads that were to be stained?

166 Diane Henkler June 21, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Hi Lon – We sanded it off, I should say my husband did. :) It is what took the most time, we used an electric hand sander with medium grit and then finished it up with fine sandpaper, so it would be smooth when we put the stain and poly on.

167 Liz June 24, 2013 at 11:52 am

Gorgeous , thank you for the inspiration.
We have oak staircase that’s stained and just poly’d, it’s very yellowed thru the years and just needs a makeover. I got a quote to have it done professionally, way to expensive. But your suggestions , have motivated me to DIY.
I really dread stripping between the banisters, any suggestions on product or procedure? Greatly appreciate it.

168 Diane Henkler June 25, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Hi Liz – The stripping and sanding took the longest. We used a small palm sander with a pointy tip and a sanding block with heavy duty sandpaper on it. For the really stubborn stuff – use a chemical stripper. I just learned about one that has a fluffy thick consistency. It is called Smart Strip and doesn’t smell too bad. It is from Sherwin Williams. Another to try is called Citra-Strip. It is a lot of work – the sanding, the staining and poly goes very quickly. When you are all done – you will be rewarded for all your efforts.

169 Dee June 25, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Beautiful!! I just bought a new built and have carpet on the stairs, yuk!! My banisters look exactly the same, hopefully the wood underneath is workable! Thanks for posting!

170 Sharon June 30, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Your stairs look great. Our house was a repo 13 years ago and we actually had all the carpet replaced even on the stairs after moving in. I have always regretted that decision. I have been wanting to pull up the carpet for that past 5 years. Seeing your result is the push I needed. I do believe I will start slowly. Maybe one step at a time. Thanks for sharing your DIY.

171 Holly July 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Beautiful! We are currently thinking about a reasonably-priced makeover for our stairway. Seeing your before and after makes me want to go home and tear the carpeting off and start today!

172 Laura August 8, 2013 at 10:19 pm

After (excitedly) reading this post, I went and got a flat-head screwdriver out of the drawer and peeked at what was under the nasty carpets on our stairs. (Whatever was I thinking, having pale beige carpet installed on stairs?) We had our house built some 15 years ago, and we were here every day during construction (corrected lots of mistakes before it was too late, that way), but neither my husband nor I could remember what they used for treads. I fully expected to see chipboard, but lo and behold, mine looked exactly like yours, white over-spray and all. I am so excited, yet, at the same time, it is very hard, now, to actually make myself pull that carpet off of that first step. How did you find the courage? Thanks for this post!

173 Chris August 10, 2013 at 11:20 am

Looks great BUT

I fell down a flight of stairs just like yours– slippery!

10 months recovery. Broken ankle, tibia, 6 screws and a metal plate.
I’ll never walk the same again.

Consider partial carpeting or something that will afford you traction.

174 Lisa M. August 10, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Sorry to hear about your injury. Stairs can be very dangerous , no matter how they are finished – I have slipped and fallen several times on carpeted stairs! Go slow, pay attention, and ALWAYS use the handrail. That goes for kids, too.

175 Jen Leehr August 13, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Thank you for making me believe I could do this myself! I had HIDEOUS mauve pink carpet on my steps and just assumed that I had plywood underneath. After seeing this I decided to check and I had the same bullnose steps! Everything is all sanded down (horrible mess and time consuming) but now I’m ready to fill the nail holes and then comes the stain. I’m so excited for this beautiful transformation I can hardly contain myself! Thanks for showing me the ropes!

176 Diane Henkler August 14, 2013 at 8:55 am

Hi Jen – When I look at all the home improvement projects I have taken on, the staircase were the scariest to begin. It was hard starting, but like you, once I did and saw that they may just come out looking great, I got very excited. I knew if they didn’t we could just get carpet put over them again. I only wish I had done the project years ago. They are so easy to clean now, no more having to lug the vacuum and hoses up the steps :) You have the hard part done, you are almost there. Enjoy them!

177 amy August 16, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Hi.
I LOVE the outcome! What color is the stain you used? I have the colors for mine, but trying to match the stain color I want. I don’t want a dark, but not a light either. I have old (small plank) hard wood floors and want to match that color.

Thank you!

178 Diane Henkler August 16, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Hi Amy – I tested a bunch of colors and did not like any of them, so I mixed Provincial with Early American to get the color I was after.

179 Vicki August 31, 2013 at 9:15 am

Diane, I noticed in your photos that the wall side of your stairs has a board and trim. mine does not, just flat wall. I took up our carpet and I noticed the sheet rock is cut uneven and there are gaps. I don’t want to put trim up, down and around all of the 15 steps. Do they make a precut trim board with steps cut out? Any suggestions?
Thanx

180 Monika September 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Great job, now what i can’t figure out is how would you deal with the top step if you were to go from carpet to wood? since most hardwood is about .75″ tall, would you have to add stair nosing then the hardwood planks behind it? if that’s the case then the top tread would be taller/thicker than the rest, no? Any thoughts?

181 Diane Henkler September 25, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Hi Monika – My top landing has bullnose on it already. It is carpeted so I did not have to figure out a fix to join it with hardwood. I think you can buy a piece of bullnose. It would fit right on top of the 90 degree angle of the step and would be level with the hardwood. This is what was done on my basement steps. It was done by flooring contractors so I am not sure exactly what they used, but it is seamless.

182 Dave September 4, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Just moved to a new house…same pine stairs w/ bullnose and decorative moldings on side. I will be doing this project for sure. Thanks for the detailed process description. $40 and some sweat sounds better than $2,000.

183 Rebecca Purdie September 8, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Followed your directions. This summer removed carpet from my stairs one night while my husband was at work. It took a while from start to finish because we had to order slats for the landing. But the final product was worth it. Would do this over again if I had to. Thanks for the detailed directions.

184 Diane Henkler September 8, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Hi Rebecca – Love when I hear success stories. I would do it again, too without any hesitation. Enjoy your new stairs.

185 Jamie November 20, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Did you use wood putty over staple and nail holes or just sand the best you could??

186 Diane Henkler November 20, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Hi Jamie – I did not use wood putty since I was going to stain the steps. It does not take the stain well and you would see the patches. I – or I should say my husband, Ed sanded them until they were smooth and the holes blended into the surface a bit more. If painting the steps, you could use it since paint is opaque.

187 angela November 24, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Any suggestions for stairs that are pressboard under the carpet? :/

188 sbobet January 5, 2014 at 5:39 am

Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up
what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the
whole thing. Do you have any suggestions for newbie blog writers?

I’d genuinely appreciate it.

189 Linda February 17, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Beautiful job! I am thinking of taking on the same project in my house.
How were you able to contain all the dust from the sanding?

190 Diane Henkler February 17, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Thanks Linda – We used a palm sander with a dust bag attached. We still had dust to clean up, but the bag helped to keep it down.

191 Rose@http://muchloveroseblog.tumblr.com March 6, 2014 at 7:42 am

Hi Diane-
I have been wanting to take the carpet off my stairs as well-
Thank you for the step by step (hahaha) instructions…
It’s so nice to share things with each other..
Have a wonderful day..
Much love,
Rose

192 Shaunna March 18, 2014 at 7:05 pm

The stairs look great! I just pulled up my carpet and tool all the tack strips and staples out. What did you do to get the white paint off the edges of the pine boards? I started sanding it off, but there has to be an easier way. Thanks for your help!

193 Diane Henkler March 18, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Hi Shaunna -

We sanded the paint off, my husband did most of it. You could put some paint stripper on the areas, let it sit and then remove it a stripping sponge. This may leave some stubborn spots of paint still on, but they will be easier to sand off since they had stripper on them.