Kitchen Update – Painting Metal Furniture

Some of you have already commented about my metal kitchen table base.  I sort of forgot about it in the midst of my current decorating marathon.

the-best-way-to-paint-metal-furniture

The table used to be black. In my quest to lighten and brighten the room – it is now white.

I put the first coat of white paint on the table base in the beginning of the summer, thinking the second would go on right after and I would be finished.  I have since moved on and posted other projects in my kitchen that the unfinished table showed up in revealing the change.

Well, it is the end of the summer and I am happy to report that I just put the final coat of paint on the table. It is now officially completed.

I normally would have used spray paint for this, but the weather was so damp and humid the week I started painting it, I decided to paint it inside so the AC would help the paint dry properly.

If you want an extra smooth finish when painting metal furniture with rounded sections – use spray primer and spray paint.  See this post on how to create the perfect paint finish on this bed frame.

How to paint metal with spray paint

Of course there are more ways than one to get a project done successfully.

The key to getting a very smooth brush-on paint finish on metal surfaces that are thin and rounded is to use a high quality small paint brush., with long flexible bristles. I bought this in the fine art section at the craft store.

Paint-brush-to-use-when-painting-rounded-surfaces

Using the right primer and paint will also help you achieve very smooth results,  I like Sherwin Williams Pro Classic. It is self leveling. You can see it level right before your eyes – seriously!  That on top of Glidden Gripper primer is the best duo.  The paint costs a little more, but if you are going to  make the effort to paint something to look good and have lasting durability – it is worth it.

Before:  Metal Table Base

Painting metal furniture

After: Painted Metal Table Base

Painting metal furniture

How to Paint a Metal Table

• Rough the surface with 60 –100 grit sandpaper.
  • Clean it well and let dry.  Brush on one light coat of gripping primer. Let dry.  I used Glidden Gripper.  It is my go-to primer for smooth surfaces.
  • Go over the surface with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth any ridges that may have occurred in the primer as it dried.
  • Brush on one more light coat of primer; let dry.
  • Brush on 2 coats of self leveling paint in your choice of sheen. I used semi-gloss. Let the first coat dry, before applying the second.
  • It may take a few weeks for the paint to cure, so be gentle with your piece for the first weeks of use.
  • Use 1-2 light coats of  non-yellowing polyurethane over the surface to add protection if the piece is going to get a lot of use. Minwax Polycrylic is one that I use. It comes in 3 different sheens.

I still have some more trim to paint around the room, the recessed lighting is getting a makeover, the chairs, and floor – along with a few details that need to be taken care of…

Decorating-Pet-Peeves---Black-elecrical-cords-on-counter-top-appliances

…like what to do with black appliance cords when your backsplash is white. My biggest pet peeve!   I wish manufacturers offered both white and black cords when you buy stainless counter top appliances.   My white blender has a nice white cord.  I thought of painting the toaster cord as well as my coffeemaker cord with spray paint made for plastic, but since the cords are so flexible, I am afraid it will chip off and end up making the cords look worse.    I am working on a fix.  For now, I have a short white extension cord that I placed behind the coffeemaker so at least the cord going to the outlet is white,  but it is not much better.

What-to-do-with-kitchen-counter-top-appliance-cords-that-don't-match

Working in this and a few other details – will show you the kitchen completed soon.

Read-this-before-painting-metal-furniture

Comments

Your table makeover is awesome. That table is such a great style that you can just keep changing as your tastes change.
    Maybe use washi tape on the cords? Not sure how that would hold up, but it is an option. Can’t wait to see what you do.

Love the change in the table. It doesn’t looks quite so rustic now. I have often spray painted cords and they hold up really well. I thought I was the only person in the world that was bugged by dark cords…lol xo Diana

Hi Diana – They are such eyesores – vice versa if I had a dark backsplash – white would look awful. I think I am going to try the white plastic spray paint. Thanks for telling me it works! :)

3. Denise says

Can’t wait to see your finished kitchen. I too hate cords – ANY cords showing! This might sound petty but did you realize that leaving an appliance plugged in draws current/electric expense? Would you consider unplugging appliances when not needed? Obviously you’d hide the cord until you need it. Just a thought. (I’m a crazy person and hate clutter on my counters so put all appliances away till needed – another option lol.)

I’m so glad to hear Denise’s comment. I so much agree! Not only are plugged in cords energy hogs but they can also be a fire hazard. I, too, put the appliances away where I can. Love the table, Diane.

I’m always paranoid to keep my toaster plugged in when not in use, fearing a fire can accidentally happen.

However, I’m not a fan of keeping lots of appliances on the counter anyway due to visible clutter.

What about a possible solution for an appliance cubby, etc.?

5. Faye says

Thanks for the detail on painting metal. You always get great results!
    It is ironic that appliance and lamp cords so frequently contrast with their backgrounds! Waiting for the day when every thing is cordless…

I love hearing that you just finished painting your table! It makes me feel so normal. :)

Great painting tips…thanks for sharing…I have a metal table base that I might be painting.

7. JoAnna says

Love the table! Looks so much better white than black. I agree about the cords, too. Lamp cords running across walls/floors bug me more than anything. They make cord covers (Google “Kordrap”) but I’ve never seen them in person. Someone who is handy with a sewing machine (not me!) could probably make their own similar ones in any color.

Diane, love the white table base. Cords are something that bug me too. Thought I was the only one. I know you will find a solution that will work. Can’t wait to see the whole kitchen reveal.

9. Karen Mccallum says

Could you use the vinyl spray paint found in automotive stores for the cord? I used it on a vinyl seat and it worked great. It has some movement to it and doesn’t crack. The table looks great! Karen

10. Brenda Messmer says

Cover the cords with a white cloth sleeve. Velcro it together so it can be put on and taken off to be washed.

11. Donnamae says

Yes! Cords need to be white, or beige, so they don’t stand out so much! Table looks great! ;)

12. Doreen says

Hi Diane,
    Love your posts about painting techniques! Just wondering if you can suggest a clear coat paint to cover hand painted over metal desk items (like jayesstudio.com)? I always worry that in time these pieces will chip and thought a good clear coat may help.
    Doreen

Hi Doreen-

You would want to use a clear water based polyurethane that will not yellow over time. Polycrylic is a water-based one that I have used. One to two light coats would give you the protection you want. You could also add a clear wax coat instead of poly and buff it to a shine. It will sit on top of the paint, but it will protect it. Spray paint clear coats will offer you a smooth finish, but will yellow the finish.

13. Sheryll & Critters. says

The table looks so perfect. Sigh, wish I could do just almost as good as you do with paint.

Hey, Diane! :) Would you recommend this same treatment if you’ve got some rust on your metal? I’ve found these awesome outdoor patio wrought iron chairs at the thrift store that need painted ASAP for an upcoming post. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Serena
    Thrift Diving

Hi Serena –

I would not use the paints I used if you are going to place them outside. My table had no rust and was black wrought iron in great condition. I would use Rustoleum metal primer after you clean off the rust with steel wool and a detergent and water mixture. Let it dry. Then Rustoleum spray paint. If you want a metallic brush on finish – try Benjamin Moore’s Molten Metallics paint. I used it to makeover a rusted metal light fixture. It is amazing paint. You can see it in this post: http://inmyownstyle.com/2013/05/transform-outdoor-light-fixtures-with-a-hammered-paint-finish.html You can use chalk paint on metal, too. I would still clean off the rust first – unless you want a rusty look to the pieces.

On another note – I am going to start the the piece in my dining room using the chalk paint colors you did or very similar in the Annie Sloan workshop we went to. I am so excited to get started on it. Hope yo are enjoying the extended weekend.

Oooh, I like that molten metallics! I have some nasty outdoor lighting that could use that treatment. I think it would look nice on the chairs, too. And I can’t wait to see your rendition of my paint colors! I am going to be doing mine, too! I’ve got a bunch of furniture stocked up in the garage that needs to be cleaned out so I can makeover my garage. I’ll be sure to use those colors on at least ONE of the pieces! :)
        Thanks for the painting tips. You’re fabulous! :)

Serena
        Thrift Diving

15. Cussot says

I used white cloth hockey tape on the cords of a couple of wall-hung lamps. Then I painted the cords to match the wall. The hockey tape absorbs paint very well.

I want to spray paint a white rod iron daybed with porcelain knobs on the four sides of the bed. What is the first steps I need to do before starting. Also, I want to spray it a black or dark brown. Do I need to sand it first so that the paint will adhere. Also, what paint should I look for.