File Cabinet Makeover

Last week, I showed you what I have been up to in my kitchen.  This week, I am taking you to my studioffice, where I have two identical metal file cabinets that are perfectly functional, but were a bit beat-up and just plain – boring!

After

File-Cabinet-Makeover-using-DIY-chalk-paint

I have been wanting to glam them up for sometime with a file cabinet makeover and finally did last week.   I also added wheels as I wanted to make them easy to move around the room if I ever rearrange the room – which I tend to do a lot.

File-Cabinet-makeover-on-a-budget

I have added wheels to a few other pieces of furniture I have made over in the past – the game table in my family room and my crafts cart, that I take with me to load up my supplies when working on a project while I am watching a movie on TV.

Wheels make a piece more versatile while adding a fun modern vibe.

When thinking about how I was going to transform the cabinets, I thought about adding a metal horizontal bar pull to each drawer, but the fronts are thin metal and it would have bent when pulling the drawers open.

Office-organizing-ideas

To keep the makeover simple and affordable,  I chose to paint the cabinets and the inset plastic pulls with DIY chalk paint, then add small gold frames to label the contents of each drawer.

File Cabinets: Before

Before-Furniture-Makeover-Before-and-After

I have spray painted metal with great success, but I chose to use DIY chalk paint for the transformation for two reasons:

#1 – I want easy – and if I used spray paint, I would have to empty the contents of the cabinets and move them outside.

#2 –  One of the questions I frequently receive is, Can you use DIY chalk paint on metal? I had read, yes, but had never tried it on metal myself.  I can now answer these questions with a big  -YES!  – It works beautifully on metal.

File-Cabinet-makeover-Before

I needed to buy paint, a new supply of Plaster of Paris, wheels, and wood to start the transformation.  I went to my local True Value to pick them up.

File-Cabinet-Makeover-Supplies-needed

supplies needed:

How To Makeover a Metal File Cabinet and Add Wheels

1. Cut plywood boards to size needed.  The size is determined by the base of your file cabinets, when they are placed butted together.

Bandit-Edge-Veneer-

2. Since the sides of the plywood boards are unfinished and will look rough even after painting, I added iron-on wood veneer to the edges.  (I had a piece of particle board left over from another project and used that for the base for the cabinets. I bought a new pine board for the top.)

How-to-add-wood-veneer-to-the-side-of-wood

Adding the wood veneer is so easy to do and will make the edges of the wood look perfectly smooth.

1. Use a rag to dust off the rough edges of your boards.

2. Heat up your iron (your clothes iron). Lay the veneer along the edge and simply press it on with the hot iron.  E-Z!

3. Presto-chango!  No more rough edge.

4. If the height of the veneer is more than the height of the edge of the board, simply run a knife along the edge to trim the excess veneer or use the handy little edge trimmer.

File-Cabinet-Makeover-how-to-add-wheels-to-the-base

2. Attach wheels to the bottom board with wood screws.  Place the base of each wheel at each corner.  Leave about two inches from the edge of the center of each wheel. I marked and pre-drilled each hole to make the process easier.

Metal-file-cabinet-makeover

3. Turn the base board over and put the locking wheel in the “ON” position so the base doesn’t move.  Place the file cabinets on the base.

I did not attach the file cabinets to the boards – they weigh a lot and are very secure. If you want to secure yours – remove the drawers and drill a hole through the bottom of the cabinet and the wood. Use a carriage style bolt to attach.  Do the same for the other cabinet.

You could also use wood screws. Working from the inside of the cabinet -remove the drawers and drill a small hole in the bottom metal so the screw has a place to get into the wood. Screw a wood screw through the hole and into the base wood.  Add as many screws as you think you may need.

File-cabinet-makeover-tutorial

4. Place the second cut plywood board on top of the file cabinets.

File-Cabinet-makeover-painting-with-DIY-chalk-paint

5. I mixed my DIY chalk paint in a plastic container with a lid.  Since I loved how the hutch in my dining room came out when I mixed both Plaster of Paris and Calcium Carbonate powder (health food store) into the paint, I decided to do that again. Here is how I mixed my paint.

• 1 quart white Easy Care Interior latex satin paint
  • 8 tablespoons Calcium Carbonate Powder + 2 Tablespoons Plaster of Paris.  ***If you want to use only Plaster of Paris – use 10 tablespoons.

Mix this with 1 – 3 tablespoons of water and mix until smooth. Slowly add to the paint and mix well into the paint.

6. If you are new to working with DIY chalk paint – no primer is needed, but I always run a sanding block with 60 grit sandpaper over the surface before painting.  It only takes a few minutes and will help with adhesion. Clean off sanding grit before painting.  You will find more information about chalk painting in this post  – How to make and use DIY chalk paint.

7. Apply two light coats of paint with a brush or foam roller.  Let the first coat dry before adding the second. Let dry overnight.  Between coats, sand any ridges or drips with sandpaper to smooth the surface.

File-Cabinet-Chalk-Paint-Makeover-with-Johnsons-Paste-Wax

8.  Using a soft lint-free cloth (I use an old t-shirt), apply a thin coat of paste wax all over the surface.   *** Do not wax the area where the frame labels will be attached.

Wait about 10 minutes and then use another soft lint-free cloth to buff the surface to bring up a shine.  Buffing is like polishing – you need to put some elbow grease into it.  Rub over the surface in a circular motion.  If you want more protection or shine, add one more thin layer of wax and buff.  You can also use a paint mitt to buff.  I have one made of fleece that brings up the shine very nicely.

File-cabinet-makeover-Spray-paint-frames-gold

9. To make the label holders, I spray painted mini dollar store frames with metallic gold paint.

File-cabinet-makeover-labels

10. I used the font, SNF Ambrosia Bold, (it is not a free font – around $3.oo ) which I’ve installed on my computer and printed, cut out, and placed the labels in each frame.

File-Cabinet-Makeover-frames-for-labels

11. I removed the easel from the back of the frames so that the frames could be attached flush to the front of each drawer.

12. I used a dot of hot glue on each corner on the back of the frames to attach them to the drawers.

Metal-File-Cabinet-makeover-after

File-Cabinet-Transformation-with-DIY-chalk-paint-and-soft-paste-wax

I now have easy-to-move, glammed-up file cabinets, along with…

File-cabinet-makeover-top

… another flat surface to organize my stuff.   To find out how I made the wall calendar – click over to this post - DIY Wall Calendar

File-cabinet-key-chain

I even glammed up the key by making a key chain with beads and buttons from my craft stash.

File-Cabinet-Makeover

File-Cabinet-Makeover-in-one-afternoon

For more paint project ideas, visit StartRightStartHere.com or follow True Value on PinterestI was one of the bloggers selected by True Value to work on the DIY Squad. I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program as well as writing about my experience. I have also been compensated for the materials needed for my DIY project. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.

sponsored

Comments

1. Amanda says

I love love love this! I need to do that to my husband’s filing cabinet, it is so horrid! great job

2. Linda Southworth says

I really like the mini frames. That adds nice dimension to an otherwise very flat piece. AND Good to know chalk paint is ok on metal. I just moved a round table to the kitchen last week after using chalk paint. It looks brand new instead of a 25 year old oak piece. I am working on bathroom cabinets now but using acrylic. I have learned so much especially from you and other DIY blogs. What did we do before?

Oh, I love this so much! I wanted to do this exact same thing with a couple of 5 drawer file cabinets, but wasn’t sure about how to do the wood bottom. Thanks for the tutorial, Diane!

4. Emily says

Looks fabulous!!! I now know what to do with the yucky looking filing cabinets in my basement!!! Question… I have seen a lot of people talking about & using chalk paint. What exactly is it and why use it instead of regular paint? Thanks!

Hi Emily – Chalk paint is latex paint with an additive in it that makes the paint flat and adhere well. It is very porous and takes a wax coat beautifully. You wax it with soft paste wax to protect and give it shine. One of the selling benefits are the you don’t have to prime or sand the piece beforehand as you would with just latex paint alone. The aspect I like most though is that painted pieces don’t have that rubbery sticky feel that latex painted pieces have. If you like an aged painted look – it ages beautifully. A big misconception about chalk paint is that it is only used when you want a distressed look. I have completely many un-distressed pieces(the file cabinet is one). You can also add colored waxes over the paint to get different looks. I love working with it on furniture. I would not use it on doors, trim, or walls because I like it with a buffed wax layer and it would take too long to do these. If you want a very rustic, distressed, flat look with no shine – then you might love it for everything.

• Emily says

Wow! Thanks SO much for this awesome & detailed answer. I’m definitely going to have to give it a try!!!

5. Rae Ann says

Did you attach the cabinets to the wood above and below, or are you just let gravity do its thing? They look great!

Hi Rae Ann – I did not attach the cabinets to the base or the top. The cabinets are heavy and are almost impossible to move. So far, the top board has not moved at all. If you want to attach them – I would remove the drawers and then use wood screws or bolts inside the cabinet to attach the boards to the cabinets.

Diane, why do you make everything look so amazing and pretty?! Jeez… LOL. It’s the little touches that you add to your pics and projects that make me want to be your apprentice :) Great job on the makeover! I think you gave me an idea for a couple pair of smaller, more shallow drawer file cabinets I picked up from the ReStore, which are sitting in my basement, screaming for paint. ;)

Serena
    Thrift Diving

Thanks Serena – I have had my two cabinets forever and they have been screaming for paint for a long time, too :) I love the ones Ballard and Pottery Barn sell, but out of my budget – DIY to the rescue!

Hey Diane,

I think you are amazing and have felt that way since the first time I read your blog. You have talent, lady. Thanks for sharing this makeover, it is classy.

Great makeover and as always, excellent tutorial. I always pick up use-able tips from you. I like the wheels. I like the framed labels. I like the laminate edging. I like it all! I’m sharing this with my readers on Facebook. Thanks, Diane.

Thanks Barbara – I learned about the laminate edging from Ana White. So simple, but makes a huge difference in the finished product. Thanks for sharing with your FB readers. XO

I love this! What a great way to make something so dull looks so pretty! I have been making and using chalk paint on a lot of furniture projects. It has changed my life and I love the versatility!

10. Cindy August says

Wow! What vision. This looks fantastic ~ great instructions, may have to tackle this myself.
    Great inspirations. Thank you!

11. Mickie says

Ah! Wheels on the file cabinet would be awesome, why doesn’t my beohemeth already have them!

So the boards are not attached at all to the cabinet? Is it still pretty secure that way?

12. Kathleen says

Darn, and to think I threw out 2 cabinets just like these when I moved because I thought they were too beat up looking. You amaze me with your ideas!

I did not attach the cabinets since they are heavy and impossible to move. If you want to secure them – use screws or bolts through the bottom of the cabinet and base. you would need to drill a hole through the metal – then use a wood screw or drill a hole through both cabinets and base and use a carriage style bolt to attach the two together.

I did not attach them- they are very heavy and just the sheer weight of them keeps them in place. If you would like to attach them – I just added how to do it in the post.

13. STEPHANIE says

just found your blog & love it! i especially love your large pinboard calendar- could you share the source for the calendar? thanks!

14. Faye says

These file cabinets are fantastic! You always take the mundane and make it extraordinary! By the way, is the “golden hand” bookend a future DIY project? Would love to know how to do that too!

Hi Faye – The hand is a souvenir from my days of working in retail display. It is a broken mannequin hand. I have spray painted it many colors. I will have to think of a way to make one from scratch – stay tuned :)

15. Kelly says

Oh my! I love everything about this. Living in a small home you have to often have the practical things you use every day out in the open. This takes what is often an ugly eyesore and turns it into a beautiful piece of furniture you can be proud to display. Thank you for your ideas, your inspiration, and your always easy to understand instructions. I am a huge lover of quotes, and I love that Life Is Too Short quote I saw.

16. Sheryll & Critters. says

I love the idea of wheels, but evidently this one I have (looks just like yours) is really a cheap thing, cause when I first started using it (inherited) the thing would fall over on me each time I opened the top drawer. I had to bolt it to the wall. I did paint it before I did that, but oh my, it sure needs a complete make over and only 10 years ago. Is ten years good to go before needing paint again? lol

17. Cindy says

Awesome makeover!

Are you able to switch out the labels in the frames? or are they there for good?

Thanks to you I have become a chalk paint addict. I just happened to move 2 black file cabinets into my studio a few weeks ago. I’ll admit, I didn’t chalk paint them – I sprayed them a black satin BUT over the holiday I had intended to make a sub-par top for them. LAY-Z! You’ve inspired me to finish the project correctly!

Dear Diane,

I love your file cabinet projects and plan to start mine asap. I understand that the base board does not need to be attached to the cabinets, but did you attach the top board to the cabinets or does it just lay on top?

Thanks!!

Nicky

20. Sara says

I really like the gold frames idea. Can you share the brand and specific color name of the metallic spray paint you used?

21. Melissa says

I absolutely love this!! How long did it take you start to finish? Also how much would you estimate the materials? Thanks!!!

22. Linda Timberlake says

Hi Diane,
    Thanks so much for your great detailed instructions for the chalk paint. They are great!! That said, I have a question no one else has asked. I have a file cabinet that I intend to finish with the chalk paint but also have an inexpensive book shelf sitting on top that I hope to match to the cabinet. It is covered in a paper backed vinyl material and I am not sure just how it would accept the chalk paint. Have you ever tried to paint such an “animal” and, if so, what kind of issues did you encounter if any?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Linda

Hi Linda –

The great thing about chalk paint is that it sticks to everything, even shiny smooth glass, tile, vinyl, and more. Clean it well before painting and let it dry. Apply one light coat, let it dry – then apply a second coat, let dry. After painting your piece it may take a few days to cure until it adheres like cement, but it will. I recently painted a mason jar just to see how it worked on glass. I had it sitting in my water filled sink for days. No paint came off – pretty amazing!

23. mary says

Hi Diane,
    I just saw your filing cabinet project. WOW! I just got rid of 2 old cabinets that we a mess. Wish I saw this sooner.
    I have a question. My contractor told me I can’t paint factory baked painted screen doors. The are white and stick out like a sore thumb. What do you think about painting them?
    Thanks so much.
    Mary

Linda,
    LOVE what you did with the filing cabinets. I am also repurposing/redoing furniture & am using the chalk paint which I LOVE. My question: WHAT is the plaster paris/calcium carbinate for?
    Thanks,
    Nancy

Hi Nancy – That is OK I am so used to being called by another name. I have a twin sister and have answered to her name as well as mine all my life. :)

25. Rita says

I just picked up a file cabinet from a yard sale. The top has some rust spots on it. Should I sand those off first or will the chalk paint cover it fine and not bleed through?

I also wondered if the chalk paint gives it a smooth finish. I was planning on spray painting it to get that “powder coated paint” finish. My goal is to simply change the color.

Hi Rita –

If you simply want to change the color, you could spray paint the cabinet. I chose not to spray mine since I did not want to take it outside. That is the only downfall of spray paint – it has to be done outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Chalk paint does need a wax or poly coat over it to protect the finish – so there is an extra step. No matter which way you choose to paint it, youu want to sand the rusty spot as smooth as you can. Use steel wool or a Brillo pad. Once the spot is smooth – clean the surface, let dry. Prime with spray metal primer over the rusty spots. For paint, look for a spray paint for metal that is a primer + paint formula. Most big brands have this combo. Light coats about 5 minutes apart until you have the coverage you want. Check out this post for more spray painting tips: http://inmyownstyle.com/spray-paint-faqs

If you want to go the chalk paint route, buy good brushes – Purdy brand and you will not get brush strokes.

This is exactly what I have been looking for for our filing cabinet, design and color!!!! Thanks so much for creating and sharing! I will be linking back to you as soon as I get to start this project!

Truly beautiful. I have a 6 foot by 1.5 foot cabinet that will also be about 6 feet tall and therefore heavy and I was concerned with moving it (just to even get it in the right spot) because there is an electrical outlet behind the cabinet that we may need to access from time to time so I was considering wheels, however, the additional cost is an issue as the wheels needed should be, I believe, steel , in order to carry the weight. So I prices locking wheels , which are more expensive than non-locking wheels , and did not even consider that I do not need all wheels to be locking until I read how you did yours above with just one locking wheel. So now I am considering using just two locking ones in the front which makes more sense. So, to sum it up, thank you for sharing your project. It’s beautiful.

Thank you for sharing and detailing this so well.